What does hurling mean to you?

Started by totippandback, August 21, 2012, 04:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

It's good to watch when there's no football on. It's a wile pity they decided to make a women's version of it though.

Asal Mor

Reminds me of an oul football story.

Down in our oul pitch we had no ball catchers so when the ball went over one goal it went into a forest of ditches, trees and bushes. It took ages to find the balls when they went in there. Getting beat by 2 points in an u-16 cship match our goalkeeper in all his wisdom decided the ball was dropping over the bar so he ran behind the grab it before it went into the forest, to my shock and horror standing at corner forward the ball dropped into an empty net! we can laugh about it now but a certain 'D' got shit for it lol lol lol.
[/quote]

;) good story.

johnneycool

Quote from: fitzroyalty on September 22, 2012, 01:42:49 PM
It's good to watch when there's no football on. It's a wile pity they decided to make a women's version of it though.

Apples and oranges Fitzy..

Asal Mor

I think football can be every bit as enthralling as hurling, especially as a physical contest, when it's refereed properly and two great teams are playing. Some of those Kerry v Tyrone or Armagh v Tyrone games in the last decade as an example were as outstanding a spectacle as anything in sport. Personally though, I'd find it very hard to watch two lesser teams, say Cavan and Monaghan, playing. Football can be a very ugly, scrappy sort of a game a lot of the time. And let's be honest - about 80% of inter-county matches are utter sh!te.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: fitzroyalty on September 22, 2012, 01:42:49 PM

Camogie?? I love camogie. It's the ladies football that annoys the hell outta me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

2 adult hurls in the hall and 4 or 5 kids hurls that are grown out of and then replaced .

Finding oneself on a beach in a football county with the hurls , pucking around, and seeing other fathers doing the same and it's a nice club to belong to .

An interview on RTE with a nephew of Tommy Walsh, age 10. They ask him what he wants to be when he grows up. "A hurler". Good man yourself.

Waiting on a luggage carousel out foreign and out pops a bunch of hurls. A gaelic football wouldn't have the same impact. 

Hardy

Feckit lads I used to kick a ball around with my young lads on the beach and elsewhere. I didn't feel the need to compose odes about it. And all I needed in the boot of the car was a football. 

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on September 25, 2012, 10:18:35 AM
Feckit lads I used to kick a ball around with my young lads on the beach and elsewhere. I didn't feel the need to compose odes about it. And all I needed in the boot of the car was a football.

Okay Hardy, we get it. You think football is better than hurling and think we're all mad for waxing lyrical about hurling. It's duly noted, okay?

Hardy

What I really like about hurling people is their windupability. 

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on September 25, 2012, 11:04:20 AM
What I really like about hurling people is their windupability.

Says the man who wades in on every thread about the subject. I think you doth protest too much

Hardy

You ain't seen nothing yet, if you continue to reward my bad behaviour.

Seriously, though, since you brought it up I'll assume I'm not boring you by explaining. I love hurling. It vies with NH racing as my second-favourite sport. I just get great amusement from the tendency of hurling people (as I see it, anyway) towards self-congratulation for being discerning enough to choose "the fastest field game in the world" as their favourite sport. Over and over. As you might say yourself, it's duly noted, okay?

I will admit that the amusement can be transformed into mild annoyance when, as will often happen in pubs in, say Lismore, where I'd often find myself, the eulogising of hurling needs to be supplemented by the disparagement of football and us poor fools who love the game. We don't tend to do that to you.

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on September 25, 2012, 11:19:02 AM

Seriously, though, since you brought it up I'll assume I'm not boring you by explaining. I love hurling. It vies with NH racing as my second-favourite sport. I just get great amusement from the tendency of hurling people (as I see it, anyway) towards self-congratulation for being discerning enough to choose "the fastest field game in the world" as their favourite sport. Over and over. As you might say yourself, it's duly noted, okay?

I will admit that the amusement can be transformed into mild annoyance when, as will often happen in pubs in, say Lismore, where I'd often find myself, the eulogising of hurling needs to be supplemented by the disparagement of football and us poor fools who love the game. We don't tend to do that to you.

Reading your posts, I think the annoyance routinely overrides the amusement. Never the twain shall meet.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on September 25, 2012, 11:19:02 AM

I agree with that last point. I love hurling, and I do think it's a great game, but I also love football and have given a fair bit of my life to both, and hope to have a lot more to give :D However, I have rarely, if ever, heard a football man make disparaging comments about hurling, except in a retaliatory sense. I have, unfortunately, quite often heard statements about penknifes and footballs, or about football being shite compared to hurling. 

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 25, 2012, 11:30:45 AM
I agree with that last point. I love hurling, and I do think it's a great game, but I also love football and have given a fair bit of my life to both, and hope to have a lot more to give :D However, I have rarely, if ever, heard a football man make disparaging comments about hurling, except in a retaliatory sense. I have, unfortunately, quite often heard statements about penknifes and footballs, or about football being shite compared to hurling.

The penknife line does make me chuckle, I must confess. Otherwise, I don't like people slagging off football. Are we all not in this together?

AZOffaly

We are, and we should be. Coming from a dual county, and living in a county that is very much a dual county now, you have no chance unless you are in it together.