Na Cait v Gaillimh, AIF 9 Sept

Started by seafoid, August 20, 2012, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: belleaqua on October 01, 2012, 03:12:17 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 01, 2012, 02:58:32 PM
Quote from: joe bloggs on October 01, 2012, 02:03:07 PM
I feel that the game hinged completely on those five minutes in the second half following Donnelans disallowed goal.
In fairness to the ref he did try to play advantage but by the time Donnelan was striking the ball there had been about three fouls. Don't blame the ref, blame the rule book that does not allow a rugby style advantage.
Even still had Cannings shot hit the net, then it was anyones game, but instead Kilkenny managed to clear it and score, and instantly you could feel momentum was swinging back to the cats, then to top it all off, Donnelan has his red mist moment. Game over.

But that's just it, there was no foul on Donnellan. There were fouls on Hayes immediately before but the ref decided to play advantage as he turned around once it was clear to Hayes that he wasn't gonna be able to force his way through. Have no idea what advantage he was given to Hayes there. Then Donnellan darts past two and he decides to blow up as he's getting his shot off after not being fouled? Very poor I thought.

Watching it again here and it's a terrible terrible decision. Ger Loughnane then thinks that because McGrath has his hand up in the air that he has signified a free while Damian Hayes has the ball. That's the advantage signal Ger.

Donnellan breaks the tackle, isnt fouled and as he lets loose the shot the whistle blows. It does not affect the Kilkenny defenders or goalkeeper. Firstly it was wrong to blow him up in the first place when it was clear he had rode the tackle and secondly he could have had the courage to let it stand. Yes there is no advantage play written in the rule book but refs often play it. Brian Gavin is an example of this and I cant recall the exact game but I remember him letting a goal stand just after blowing a whistle in a championship game in the last couple of years.

It affected the game as a contest but I dont think it affected the result.

Why do 90% of GAA players and supporters believe this? There are TWO advantage rules in the hurling rule book and have been for years (and two more in the football rules).

4.34 When a team commits a Technical Foul, the
referee may allow the play to continue if he
considers it to be to the advantage of the
opposing team. He shall signal that advantage
is being played by raising an extended arm
upright. Once he allows play to continue, he
may not subsequently award a free for that
foul. He shall apply any relevant disciplinary
action.

5.41 When a team commits an Aggressive Foul,
the Referee may allow play to continue if he
considers it to be to the advantage of the
offended team. He shall signal that advantage
is being played by raising an extended arm
upright. Once the Referee allows the play to
continue, he may not subsequently award a
free for that foul. He shall apply the relevant
penalty.

AZOffaly

What he means, Hardy, is that there is no provision to allow advantage, and if it doesn't work out to bring play back for a free, like Rugby does, and soccer also.

Croí na hÉireann

I feel that the game hinged completely on those five minutes in the second half following Donnelans disallowed goal.
In fairness to the ref he did try to play advantage but by the time Donnelan was striking the ball there had been about three fouls. Don't blame the ref, blame the rule book that does not allow a rugby style advantage.
Even still had Cannings shot hit the net, then it was anyones game, but instead Kilkenny managed to clear it and score, and instantly you could feel momentum was swinging back to the cats, then to top it all off, Donnelan has his red mist moment. Game over.

But that's just it, there was no foul on Donnellan. There were fouls on Hayes immediately before but the ref decided to play advantage as he turned around once it was clear to Hayes that he wasn't gonna be able to force his way through. Have no idea what advantage he was given to Hayes there. Then Donnellan darts past two and he decides to blow up as he's getting his shot off after not being fouled? Very poor I thought.

Watching it again here and it's a terrible terrible decision. Ger Loughnane then thinks that because McGrath has his hand up in the air that he has signified a free while Damian Hayes has the ball. That's the advantage signal Ger.

Donnellan breaks the tackle, isnt fouled and as he lets loose the shot the whistle blows. It does not affect the Kilkenny defenders or goalkeeper. Firstly it was wrong to blow him up in the first place when it was clear he had rode the tackle and secondly he could have had the courage to let it stand. Yes there is no advantage play written in the rule book but refs often play it. Brian Gavin is an example of this and I cant recall the exact game but I remember him letting a goal stand just after blowing a whistle in a championship game in the last couple of years.

To be fair once he blew the whistle he had to bring it back. My issue is why did he blow it in the first place. That was a major incident he made an arse of. There were others too. Good to see Galway aren't hanging on to these though. It took Tipp 3 years to win Liam under Sheedy, Galway can do it in 2 if they keep the heads. That's a big if though if you look at their history in the last 20 years.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

I think the free he gave was because one of the Kilkenny lads went in and wrapped his hurl high across Donnelan's shoulders/neck. He actually lost the hurl in that incident. McGrath had given a soft enough yellow card to Micheal Fennelly earlier on for a similar incident, so maybe he was really looking at 'thrown' hurlies?

seafoid

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 01, 2012, 04:28:35 PM

To be fair once he blew the whistle he had to bring it back. My issue is why did he blow it in the first place. That was a major incident he made an arse of. There were others too. Good to see Galway aren't hanging on to these though. It took Tipp 3 years to win Liam under Sheedy, Galway can do it in 2 if they keep the heads. That's a big if though if you look at their history in the last 20 years.

The Galway hurling civil war is finished.
I think the management of this team are light years ahead of what went before . They focus on organisation and process. I don't detect any nihilism from the fans either.
This team seems to have the right attitude. They are very positive and they emphasise the importance of learning.
If they win one all Ireland they'll win another.   

belleaqua

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 01, 2012, 04:43:01 PM
I think the free he gave was because one of the Kilkenny lads went in and wrapped his hurl high across Donnelan's shoulders/neck. He actually lost the hurl in that incident. McGrath had given a soft enough yellow card to Micheal Fennelly earlier on for a similar incident, so maybe he was really looking at 'thrown' hurlies?

But Donnellan didn't fall or lose possession of the ball even if you deem it a foul? Why blow when all the momentum is with him?

Looking at it there again now on RTE player and there is absolutely no foul - he breaks the tackle and the defenders hurl falls.

AZOffaly

I'm not saying he should have given it, I'm saying I think that's why he gave it. It wasn;t a free for anything to do with Hayes. As I said he had given a free and a yellow card in the first half for a similar challenge by Fennelly.

gallsman

McGrath audibly blew his whistle before the ball was struck. End of story.

belleaqua

Quote from: gallsman on October 01, 2012, 05:57:51 PM
McGrath audibly blew his whistle before the ball was struck. End of story.

Did we dispute that?

If you cared to read the posts more carefully you will see the fact that he blew the whistle at all is what we are taking issue with.

gallsman

You can nit pick through a whole game if you want. He should have blown the whistle and given a 21 yard free when TJ Reid was slapped in the head. Instead of a certain point for KK, Galway broke and got their second goal. Six of one, half a dozen...

belleaqua

Quote from: gallsman on October 01, 2012, 06:27:36 PM
You can nit pick through a whole game if you want. He should have blown the whistle and given a 21 yard free when TJ Reid was slapped in the head. Instead of a certain point for KK, Galway broke and got their second goal. Six of one, half a dozen...

You're right you can. Is that the way we should look at incidents then? Sure if they cancel each other out it's ok then? The old 'balance themselves out over the course of the season' argument?? How will refereeing standards ever improve if you take that view?

The awarding of that free was a crucial decision. It was blatantly wrong. I have said earlier as a Galway fan that I did not think we would have won the game had it stood.  However that is only an opinion I could be wrong. Arguably it indirectly contributed to the sending off. It's a point worth debating.

I understand your point about certain incidents and watched the TJ Reid incident there and it did look on tv like a slap on the head. Watching it live yesterday from the Davin Collins didnt make contact with Reid but Id see how that would be given from the angle the cameras picked it up. Reid was straight up again too which indicated no contact. That may have been the refs view too.

gallsman

Quote from: belleaqua on October 01, 2012, 07:13:08 PM

You're right you can. Is that the way we should look at incidents then? Sure if they cancel each other out it's ok then? The old 'balance themselves out over the course of the season' argument?? How will refereeing standards ever improve if you take that view?

The awarding of that free was a crucial decision. It was blatantly wrong. I have said earlier as a Galway fan that I did not think we would have won the game had it stood.  However that is only an opinion I could be wrong. Arguably it indirectly contributed to the sending off. It's a point worth debating.

I understand your point about certain incidents and watched the TJ Reid incident there and it did look on tv like a slap on the head. Watching it live yesterday from the Davin Collins didnt make contact with Reid but Id see how that would be given from the angle the cameras picked it up. Reid was straight up again too which indicated no contact. That may have been the refs view too.

No, it's not, but you can't simply turn round with an attitude of "let's focus on our misfortune and ignore theirs". From a Galway point of view, the decision was crucial. Do you think Kilkenny conceding a second goal wasn't crucial to them?

It indirectly contributed to the sending off? Are you having a laugh? Donnellan was so incensed with the referee he decided to do a Benny and try and take JJ's head off?!

You're definitely kidding yourself if you think TJ wasn't slapped - Collins' flapped at him and it 100% made contact. I was sitting in the lower Hogan almost directly in line with it. It wasn't a flick of the wrist but a one-handed swing. Richie Hogan got sent-off (deservedly) for something similar earlier in the year against Limerick. It absolutely should have been a free.

belleaqua

Quote from: gallsman on October 01, 2012, 07:23:14 PM
Quote from: belleaqua on October 01, 2012, 07:13:08 PM

No, it's not, but you can't simply turn round with an attitude of "let's focus on our misfortune and ignore theirs". From a Galway point of view, the decision was crucial. Do you think Kilkenny conceding a second goal wasn't crucial to them?

It indirectly contributed to the sending off? Are you having a laugh? Donnellan was so incensed with the referee he decided to do a Benny and try and take JJ's head off?!

You're definitely kidding yourself if you think TJ wasn't slapped - Collins' flapped at him and it 100% made contact. I was sitting in the lower Hogan almost directly in line with it. It wasn't a flick of the wrist but a one-handed swing. Richie Hogan got sent-off (deservedly) for something similar earlier in the year against Limerick. It absolutely should have been a free.

He clearly swung the hurley across from looking at it here. I felt there was no contact yesterday and that TJ's reaction bore that out. If he got a blow to the head similar to the the strike Richie Hogan gave the Limerick player as you have suggested then you would imagine he would have been in a lot of distress?

No I am not having a laugh regarding Donnellan. He deserved a straight red no question. But are you realistically suggesting that frustration had no part to play?? And that the disallowed goal didn't contribute to this?? He was then pulled back chasing down a ball and lashed out wrongly. I think its a perfectly reasonable connection.

Put it this way had that goal stood I don't think Donnellan would have lashed out.

Canalman

Saw a  group of Galway fans in the Hill waving their shoes (I kid you not) in the air before the game. Any weshties on here who can explain wtf that was all about?

GalwayBayBoy

Donnellan deserved to go although I think he just frustrated after the 2 goal incidents just before it and the fact that JJ Delaney was fouling him (cutely as he knows how to) and the ref wasn't blowing for it. He swung around trying to free his hurl from JJ and cracked him one. Had to go unfortunately. I know it's often said but Cyril Donnellan is very far from a dirty player.  An act of pure frustration.

My issue with the "disallowed" goal was that the ref was playing long advantages all game long (which I even remarked on in the first half to the fella sitting beside me at the game) and then for that incident suddenly blew it up quickly. Nothing worse than inconsistent refereeing.