Na Cait v Gaillimh, AIF 9 Sept

Started by seafoid, August 20, 2012, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 10, 2012, 10:32:40 AM
Of the totals yesterday what was scored from play?

Galway got 0-8 from frees, Kilkenny 0-10 (maybe 0-11??)

Cyril Farrell fan

It was a definite free at the end. It happened right in front of me.
I was watching on television after and RTE didn't seem to have any good replays of the incident.

Brian Cody was a disgrace at the end and a lesser man than Anthony Cunningham would have laid into him!

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on September 10, 2012, 10:06:51 AM
An absorbing contest, but I thought the referee came close to ruining it by being too whistle happy. The players seemed to cop on early (or maybe knew his form in advance) that going down nearly always got you the free, with the result that I can't recall seeing so much leg-straightening and collapsing forward on minimal contact in a hurling match before. You don't often see this in hurling, as referees generally seem still to understand the physical clash. It's a pity to see it creeping into the game, though maybe that's the impetus the legislators, who don't seem to give a shite about football or, worse, are actively trying to destroy it, need to tackle the diving culture in the games generally.

That apart, I thought the game illustrated the essence of sport, one interpretation of which - "having your manhood tested and not being found wanting" - applied to just about everyone on the field. The replay should be something special.

Interesting. I thought the ref did the right thing in most cases and if anything was too lenient. I know it's a contact sport but you can't just wrap your arms and hurley around a player every time he has the ball. No sport has coped very well with the reality of the participants being stronger and fitter than previous generations and it's really showing in hurling now where players are able to shrug off challenges with ease, which means they're seen as weak or cowardly if they're not able to shrug off the challenges with ease. The amount of timber Iarla Tannian shipped was unreal, yet that seems to be the norm now.

Jonah

I really enjoyed that game yesterday.
I also thought Henry should have buried the penalty into the back of the net,I was shocked when he put it over the bar.
Strange decision IMO.
Some fella on Today FM friday morning tipped this to be a draw,think he said it was 9/1 ?
Anyway how bad,we get another helping of the biggest day in the GAA calender to look forward too.
I think Galway will win the next day.

johnneycool

Quote from: Jonah on September 10, 2012, 12:01:16 PM
I really enjoyed that game yesterday.
I also thought Henry should have buried the penalty into the back of the net,I was shocked when he put it over the bar.
Strange decision IMO.
Some fella on Today FM friday morning tipped this to be a draw,think he said it was 9/1 ?
Anyway how bad,we get another helping of the biggest day in the GAA calender to look forward too.
I think Galway will win the next day.

I'm sure if Henry thought that it was guaranteed that he would 'have buried the penalty into the back of the net' I'm sure he would have. The problem being there was three Galway men 20 metres away doing their damnest to stop it.

I'm not sure if anyone has even done stats on hurling penalties success rates, but I'd say it mightn't be that high.

He played the percentages, levelled the game and then Kilkenny went onto score the next point to take the lead.
IF he'd scored the goal then yes it was game over,  as it would have been hard to see Galway pull two points back at that stage. If it had of been saved, Galway would have been still up a point and got a huge lift in spirit which possibly seen them hold onto their lead.

It's all conjecture at this stage, and Henry can still win his 9th AI medal. Right decision IMO.

Hardy

Yes - definitely the correct percentage play, in my view, which is not something you often see chosen properly in the heat of competition.

There are two to five minutes left, depending on the ref.

He sores the penalty. Estimated probability - 80% (though that may be generous). KK nearly certainly win.
He misses the penalty. Estimated probability - 20%. The momentum and psychological advantage are handed to Galway. Galway more likely than KK to win.
He takes the point. Estimated probability - 100% for all intents and purpose. The momentum and psychological advantage stay with KK, with a good chance of a win and a probable worst case outcome of a draw.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 10, 2012, 10:26:32 AM
Brian Hogan was my motm though, lorded the skies and made sure Galway didn't come though the center.

Wouldn't have Brian Hogan down for MOTM to be honest. Even though he did have a very good second half he had a fairly shaky first half when Galway ran at him and Niall Burke also caught a couple of high balls off him and planted them over the bar.

As far as Kilkenny defenders go I thought Paul Murphy was the best of them throughout.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

will the ticket allocation for the replay be the same as Sunday? What i mean is will for example a club who got say 6 tickets in a county outside 4 finalists get the same this time

deiseach

I'm very surprised he didn't go for goal with the penalty. This is Henry Shefflin for crying out loud, he hasn't gotten to the point in his career where he's on the cusp of winning more Celtic crosses on the field than anyone else by playing it safe or having a low return on penalties. The stunned disbelief in Michael Duignan's voice in the immediate aftermath of the score said it all.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 10, 2012, 01:10:29 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 10, 2012, 10:26:32 AM
Brian Hogan was my motm though, lorded the skies and made sure Galway didn't come though the center.

Wouldn't have Brian Hogan down for MOTM to be honest. Even though he did have a very good second half he had a fairly shaky first half when Galway ran at him and Niall Burke also caught a couple of high balls off him and planted them over the bar.

As far as Kilkenny defenders go I thought Paul Murphy was the best of them throughout.

Jaysus I wouldn't say he was shaky, I can recall one incident where Burke just caught it before him and turned him before he landed and he had to grab his hurl to stop him powering away. He got through a huge shift in the first half as well, dropping back to sweep in front of the full back line before pegging it out into the middle once KK turned over possession. Himself and Henry drove the second half, unreal hunger from them.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Asal Mor

I've watched the incident that led to the last free a few times and I think Kelly got it right actually. Glennon was going past him and Tyrell made contact. Glennon's fall was a bit theatrical in suppose but he was fouled. Also, Barry Kelly booked Tyrell so he  obviously felt sure about it. Cody's reaction was out of order but the tension was unreal. He calmed down later for the interview - he'd do well to remembed the penalty in 2010 and the chat with Marty afterwards.

Tannian, Coen, Skehill and Moore were excellent but a lot of the Galway lads didn't really perform that well yesterday and we still got a draw. Kilkenny could say the same i suppose.

As a team Galway tackled brilliantly all over the place but we gave possession back to Kilkenny fairly easily too. The delivery into the forwards is the big thing we need to improve on. Obviously it's very difficult in the modern game when lads have so little time on the ball but we'd be better off looking for a fee man around the middle and shooting from distance than pucking it into a Galway forward with JJ and Hogan for company. I know it's very easy to say these things from the sofa though.

I think there's a lot to be optimistic about. We have loads of room for improvement and we'll need it. We won't get away with 2-13 again. I was surprised to hear Duignan say at the end that Galway would be the more disappointed. Kilkenny had a penalty and a great goal chance in .the last few minutes. And Henry had two great chances for the insurance point in injury time.

I thought Cunningham was right to take off Cooney too. He's a great talent but he might need another year. i'd be surprised to see him in the replay. I think Glennon and Glynn would both offer more than Regan or Cooney. Glennon seems to have the stuff for it but the management might be afraid he'd get himself sent off. Glynn would give us another aeriel option. As AZ suggested I'd have moved Burke rather than take him off. I wouldn't have taken off Damien Hayed either unless he was after getting a knock. Always lively and capable of creating a chance.

A tight, very intense and nervous sort of a game yesterday i thought with neither team hurling anywhere near their full potential but unreal excitement. I'm stuck out the other side of the world and could only listen to the game last night(downloaded it today - thanks irishtorrents). I switched off the radio stream for the last 15 minutes. Couldn't handle it anymore. My nerves were shot. Thankfully Joe's nerves are a good bit better than mine.

Asal Mor

Quote from: deiseach on September 10, 2012, 01:57:20 PM
I'm very surprised he didn't go for goal with the penalty. This is Henry Shefflin for crying out loud, he hasn't gotten to the point in his career where he's on the cusp of winning more Celtic crosses on the field than anyone else by playing it safe or having a low return on penalties. The stunned disbelief in Michael Duignan's voice in the immediate aftermath of the score said it all.

I'm also amazed. Can't believe our luck really. I could understand if the game was already in injury time but with about 5 minutes left? He had a great game but between that and the two missed chances in injury time I'd say Henry will be tossing and turning a bit in the leaba for a few days.

Cyril Farrell fan

I was delighted when he took the point.
His real chance to win the game was a few minutes after when he stuck a simple chance wide.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on September 10, 2012, 02:32:16 PM
I was delighted when he took the point.
His real chance to win the game was a few minutes after when he stuck a simple chance wide.

CFF - What was the mood of the Galway folowers after the game? I thought it was a great result considering we didn't really get going in the second half at all.

Jonah

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 10, 2012, 02:23:25 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 10, 2012, 01:57:20 PM

I'm also amazed. Can't believe our luck really. I could understand if the game was already in injury time but with about 5 minutes left? He had a great game but between that and the two missed chances in injury time I'd say Henry will be tossing and turning a bit in the leaba for a few days.

Agree with the both of you.
I would be fairly certain if the same opportunity arose in the replay he won't even think twice about going for goal.
I'd say he is kicking himself today for not going for it.