Cork v Donegal Semi Final

Started by All of a Sludden, August 05, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I used to love listening to the boys on Highland radio(Donegal) giving out about the referee EVERY match. If ye read most posts from Tyrone fans back in early summer we thought Donegal would go further than us.

J70

The difference being that Highland are commenting in real time, with all the emotion and frustration and lack of retrospection and consideration that  is inevitably involved. Even so, they acknowledge when the ref screws over the opposition.

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: J70 on August 29, 2012, 07:03:37 PM
Do Tyrone or Armagh fans ever not whinge about refs?  ;D

OK, a little bit of praise: your lot haven't lost a game that Coldrick refereed this year; that's fantastic, unbelievable altogether.  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

imtommygunn

Quote from: cadhlancian on August 29, 2012, 06:29:18 PM
Some serious shite being spouted on here in regards to Jimmy McGuinness. Listening or reading Joe Brolly, you would think that he had just split the f**king atom!! System this, system that, a load of dung. Essentially a very hard working/ fit , physical and hungry team, doing what they need to win a title. Bottom line, they could have lost to Tyrone ( a team very much in transition), and note David Coldrick gave Tyrone f**k all that day. What can only be described as a "jammy " goal against Kerry, got them over the line there. The only convincing victories they have achieved this year, were against Derry and Down ( both poor teams).
Donegal are a good team, and have an excellent chance of winning Sam, but some people ( analysts) included are going over the top!

You're just adding to the shite with that post so. Kerry goal was a square ball. Kerry were well beat as were cork. The scoreline might not say it but both very convincing wins.

The systems Donegal play are a big advance on anything seen in Gaelic football and the preparation those guys must do is savage. Maybe it's not rocket science - train teams so that they are so supremely fit defenders can overlap and attack at will and still get back but how meticulously Donegal are prepared is impressive.

thewobbler

I think what has brought most analysts into superlatives is not that Donegal are doing something exceptional, but that a group of erstwhile journeymen or under-perfoming players have been coerced and convinced to fulfil their talents, through an underlying emphasis on the collective.

Anyone who has ever managed a football team (and I'm speaking as a retired reserve team manager) can only take heart from watching Donegal's improvement.

cadhlancian

The improvement is impressive, no doubt about that. As somebody said, it is mostly getting players to totally believe in themselves and the training has no doubt been taken to another level. This is not a "system" ! I would imagine that with the amount of training being touted on here, it would be nearly impossible for teams to dominate on a streak of say 4 to 5 years? You would have to think that 2 years tops would be all that any player would be able to tolerate ( both mentally and physically) from such brutal training regimes?

Fuzzman

I happened to watch a bit of this match again and noticed at about 71 mins Kerrigan firstly grabbed the Donegal No. 18 around the neck/shoulder to drag him down. Not content with that he then pushed his head forward as if in some act of revenge or to hurt him. I just that if that was in a match in the league the CCCC would be intervening afterwards. Do they be on holidays every July and August. I've No grudge with Kerrigan but thought it could have been a nasty injury

JHume

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 10, 2012, 08:21:42 PM
I happened to watch a bit of this match again and noticed at about 71 mins Kerrigan firstly grabbed the Donegal No. 18 around the neck/shoulder to drag him down. Not content with that he then pushed his head forward as if in some act of revenge or to hurt him. I just that if that was in a match in the league the CCCC would be intervening afterwards. Do they be on holidays every July and August. I've No grudge with Kerrigan but thought it could have been a nasty injury

Rule 7.3 (r) subsection (iv) clause 7 states that video evidence will be use to punish player indiscretions up to, but not including the All Ireland semi finals, from which time video evidence shall only be used to exonerate players.

Also known as the Diarmud Connolly provision: yerra we wouldnt want a man to miss the All Ireland final.

Fuzzman

Me and the lads around me also noticed how often Cork were collecting possession inside the small semi circle outside the box.
I thought the rule was that for kickouts after a score you had to be outside that circle to receive the ball. Is that wrong?

heffo

Quote from: JHume on September 11, 2012, 09:23:19 AM

Also known as the Diarmud Connolly provision: yerra we wouldnt want a man to miss the All Ireland final.

AKA if you're going to reward play acting and feigning injury be sure you correctly send the person off.

JHume

Quote from: heffo on September 12, 2012, 03:26:23 PM
Quote from: JHume on September 11, 2012, 09:23:19 AM

AKA if you're going to reward play acting and feigning injury be sure you correctly send the person off.

To be fair, Dublin have a long history of seeking to overturn suspensions?

Remember Tommy 'Tom' Carr in 1993?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 12, 2012, 03:20:49 PM
Me and the lads around me also noticed how often Cork were collecting possession inside the small semi circle outside the box.
I thought the rule was that for kickouts after a score you had to be outside that circle to receive the ball. Is that wrong?

I don't think so. I think the sole purpose of that box is the exclusion zone for penalties. I think if you are 13 metres away from the kickout, you are good to go. Mind you, if they are inside a semi circle that starts on the 20, for a kickout in the middle of the 13, they'd be getting close enough to that distance if they were much inside the radius of the semi circle.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 13, 2012, 01:02:04 PM

I don't think so. I think the sole purpose of that box is the exclusion zone for penalties. I think if you are 13 metres away from the kickout, you are good to go. Mind you, if they are inside a semi circle that starts on the 20, for a kickout in the middle of the 13, they'd be getting close enough to that distance if they were much inside the radius of the semi circle.

As long as you are outside it when the ball is kicked, there's nothing to stop you running in and collecting it nearer the keeper!

JHume

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 13, 2012, 01:02:04 PM

I've often wondered about that exclusion zone thing.

The semi circle is 13m in radius, but the centre point it radiates from is the middle of the 20m line - ie the location of the penalty spot in hurley.

Given that the football penalty spot (or line) is 11m out, shouldn't there be a different exclusion zone, centred on that spot, for football? Or are officials worried that groundsmen wouldn't be able to draw two semi circles?

At a rough calcuation, the football penalty exclusion zone keeps players 22m from the penalty spot, whereas the rule only calls for players to be 13m away.

Hurlers on the other hand are just 13m away.