Dublin v Mayo - AISF

Started by Jinxy, August 04, 2012, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nephinman

At least we are all guessing.  8)

Rumour's abound that varley is starting in FF line. My own preference would be AOS in @ FF and brother and Barry at midfield. :-\

Getting excited about sunday now though.

bucko

Quote from: nephinman on August 29, 2012, 11:45:46 PM
At least we are all guessing.  8)

Rumour's abound that varley is starting in FF line. My own preference would be AOS in @ FF and brother and Barry at midfield. :-\

Getting excited about sunday now though.

I really hope not, he's been playing his best football in midfield for the last 2 seasons, all that'd be doing is robbing Peter to pay Paul. CHF is as far forward as I'd put him but I'd be playing him more as a third midfielder. I'd rather see Aidan running at goal from around the middle than him playing with his back to it, if he can do that a bit more I think it'll create opportunities as so far this year Dublin have shown a tendency to concede frees when they're ran at.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I am loving the disrespect from the media, the neturals and the Dubs (I don't personally think the Dubs at full hilt are actually better than us).

How many times have we seen games build up just like this for us to rip the f**kers (no particular county) to pieces. I only start to worry when the feckers start talking us up.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Crete Boom

Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2012, 10:21:02 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on August 29, 2012, 05:14:06 PM
I think Horan & co believe this is a great opportunity not just to beat Dublin but go all the way. He probably feels he's got his backroom team and tactics in place and he seems to have great faith in his panel at the moment despite Andy's injury. For me I'm only thinking of Sunday and how we can win?
  Firstly I would guess Horan will go for Freeman at fullforward to replace Andy. Assuming we stick to our gameplan used so far or at least a close variation of it ,it'll be quick, accurate direct ball into the inside line with runners peeling around the corner with goals in mind first and points second mixed with a running game with McLoughlin ,Vaughan and Boyle expected to punch holes in the Dublin rearguard. This will mean the burden of scoring from distance will probably rest with Dillion and hopefully our midfield and wing backs can chip in with a few as well.
Midfield will be where we will try to gain an edge and even a slight edge here will relieve pressure off our backs allowing Keane , Higgins and Caff to get tight and frustrate whoever they mark. Keegan will probably have the unenviable task of marking Alan Brogan and hopefully he'll relish it. Breaking ball as always will be key to the midfield battle so Doc , Dillion and Kevin Mac will have to work hard to back up the two big men and our half backs in this.
So allowing that things go well and our backs can keep a lid on what can be potentially an explosive Dublin forward line (with plenty of goals in them) , midfield and our inside line is where we could potentially come a cropper.
Can Conroy get his radar consistent for the game? Can Jason Doc add a few more scores to his high workrate? Can we neutralize the influence of Flynn and McCauley in the middle third and cut off Dublin primary possession?
Will we be able to create scoring chances if Dillion is curtailed ever so slightly at periods during the game/ Can O'Shea and Moran dominate at all in the middle?
Lots of questions to be answered I know so I'll try and keep it short! I think we could possibly get the possesion we need in the middle and just about manage the Dublin attack but will be caught short up front probably due to relying too heavily on Dillion and O'Connor for scores. This I think will lead to a narrow loss of a couple of points and the lack of unspectacular but consistent score getter who can win say 50% of his own ball in the full forward position is the reason while we will come up short this year , if not in this game then the final.
Just to add I fully expect the Dubs to be on top form and the above assessment is based on us playing to top form also. If we slip back to say our league final performance I expect a convincing Dublin win.

Good stuff as usual Crete Boom.

I d disagree with the bit in bold a bit. The quick accurate ball inside was used to keep defenses honest but was entirely dependent on the presence of Andy Moran being inside. I know a lot of people want to be optimistic and want to move on from the Andy injury but we dont have the resources to replicate Andy s qualities inside. End of.

I detected a change in emphasis after the Ballyshannon fiasco. Maybe I was imaging things but the penny seemed to drop with the Mayo management that kicking ball into the corner men was just gettin us beat on turnovers - especially against likes of Donegal who snaffle spilled ball and turn it into a score at the other end in a shot.

And Moran meant we could keep defenses guessing by using him as a targey men to mix it up with our preferred running game.

The Dubs should be able to comfortably leave their markers to look after our inside men with some degree of confidence and concentrate and stopping our runners, who will be the main threat.

Horan has to find a way to give us another edge. Cant see a direct replacement at 14 getting any joy. Maybe a 2 man ff line but what exactly does he get the extra man to do. Another big man to counteract Dublins big trio in the middle? Another runner like Feeney or Gardiner?

You're right Moysider it's just my sentence was back to front. The whole point of Andy's role was to maneuver the blanket  defence(for our running game) so we could overload the channels either side of the centre back area and breach the fundamental of a packed defense Ala the defensive line in rugby league , once breached four or five running lines are opened to attack and the ball can be transferred into these open lanes with ease.
From what I've seen of Mayo this year was that we actually use the direct footpass to get the ball to the oppositions 45 as quickly as possible and then we either run the ball at the blanket defense or drop it into the space in front of the fullfoward and if the ball is played wide it's generally short of the corners just behind and either side of the centre back. this draws in the back marking the man and draws back the centre back/wing back to crowd out the man in possession. The ball is then offloaded to the closest support player coming from deep who in turn has at least two if not three support players with in range of vision , one coming at speed on his shoulder , the second arching back from the  the corner in the space created behind  , and the third a little deeper in space ( effectively an out ball for a long range point or to recycle possession). This keeps the defence constantly moving from pillar to post , do they push up and block the runners and leave the inside men one on one with their markers , do they drop off and guess which runner is going to receive the ball or overload on the ball winner where one pass out of three will probably be to two or three men left in space. As you pointed out the key to this is Andy's ball wining and distribution.So how to we do without him if we have no like for like replacement?
   Personally I would keep the ball moving from our backs to the opposition 45 as quick as possible by using Dillon to drop deep and pick up the ball off our full backs like a soccer playmaker. I'd have Freeman in the Andy role but I'd also drop O' Connor back slightly as another out ball for the direct pass ( a bit narrower and deeper than the traditional corner forward). Utilise the speed of McLoughlin and Doc to run direct lines from out to in to give at least two options and put pressure on the retreating half backs and use O'Shea and Vaughan to act as the muscle to power through in support. This leaves Moran and Boyle as the defacto out balls if the moves are halted or prevented and Conroy as the roving poacher if the initial runners suck in the defence causing the corner backs to push up and leave him free inside . The key to this attack is the speed in execution if it's slightly laboured the defence sets and the moves are crowded out. It also depends heavily on a young inexperienced O'Connor and a capable but out of sorts Freeman with the high risk of turnovers.
  I do think this is our best chance and provided the speed of the ball and the runners make themselves available often enough I think it is well within the team's abilities. I just feel we might struggle to put the package together often enough and if any ground is conceded at midfield then our deep runners will be defending to much to get forward and our attacks will break down more often than not!

Bud Wiser

Just out of curiosity, will there be anyone kicking a football in this game or are they all going to be running around "offthe other players shoulder" .  Bring plenty of ham because there will be lots of 'turnovers' .  This year my own county scored an "own goal" and with all these lads zooming around Croker on Sunday I think ye should introduce two balls into the game for all this basketball running and passing because sooner or later someone is going to get mighty pissed off with this type of shite and I'm not talking about the players, I'm talking about the TV stations that broadcast it. Why don't ye try kicking the ball as a tactic?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

emmetryan

I've put together a tactical preview of Sunday's game here http://action81.com/blog/?p=6164
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Lar Naparka

Quote from: emmetryan on August 30, 2012, 08:39:43 AM
I've put together a tactical preview of Sunday's game here http://action81.com/blog/?p=6164

Fair play, Emmet; obviously, I am in full agreement with you. ;D
I'm pinning my hopes on Jimmy Horan to see Mayo through.
You mentioned something that the more pessimistic wing of the Mayo Mafia have failed to grasp.

If Andy Moran were fit and able to lead the Mayo attack, Dublin would have had plenty of advance notice of what to expect. I don't think they would have been able to cope with an Andy-inspired attack but there's no point in speculation now.
As it is, only Horan and his team will  know the game plan until the game is underway. He's one step in front of the opposition here in that he knows what the Dublin defence is capable of and but we can only wait to see if he manages to turn this to his advantage. Hard to tell really but I'm reasonably hopeful that he can and he will.
LIke you say, Mayo's defensive tactics have worked very well - to date at any rate. Undeniably, the middle third is going to be vital and I also think it is Mayo's strongest sector.
I'd agree that Cork's physical approach was too much for Mayo in the league final but I think it must be borne in mind that Cork were at a much more advanced stage of their preparations for the championship when this game was played. The langers pulled away in the closing stages because of their superior conditioning I think Mayo learned a lot from that game.
I don't think Mayo are ready yet to win an AI but they're getting closer.
While Mayo may be the form team coming into this game, the outcome will depend on Dublin's display. They will certainly need to produce a  focused 70 minute performance  and, as you say, they haven't done this all summer.
If they are able  do this on Sunday remains to be seen but I'm reasonably confident that they won't.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 30, 2012, 12:10:15 AM
I am loving the disrespect from the media, the neturals and the Dubs (I don't personally think the Dubs at full hilt are actually better than us).

How many times have we seen games build up just like this for us to rip the f**kers (no particular county) to pieces. I only start to worry when the feckers start talking us up.

Off the mark dude...................majority of dubs have the upmost respect for the mayo buckos................its your country brethren, media and pundits who are showing possible disrespect and baying for a dub vs donegal final

Actually think mayo will win this

emmetryan

Yeah, plenty of pessimistic Dubs. Seems to be more of a view outside the county that they will win.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Crete Boom

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 30, 2012, 12:41:10 PM

Off the mark dude...................majority of dubs have the upmost respect for the mayo buckos................its your country brethren, media and pundits who are showing possible disrespect and baying for a dub vs donegal final

As I said before in a previous post most of the Gaa Dubs I've been speaking too are worried that there's little evidence to show they'll hit top form which they expect will be needed to beat us. Saying that though I think they're quietly confident that a return of the 2011 performances will be good enough to knock us out. Maybe their fairweather fans are cocky or dismissive but sure every county has them it just seems like the Dubs have more due to their large population.

Hound

First 3 rows of the lower decks have been released for sale over the last few days. Ticket sales must be going well.

heffo

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 30, 2012, 02:10:05 PM

Saying that though I think they're quietly confident that a return of the 2011 performances will be good enough to knock us out.

In the absence of an AI win for Mayo I would think that's a pretty fair assesment would you not?

Mayo4Sam

You no more think that Squire than Spillane thinks it, or Mickey Whelan apparently and why would you, yer All-Ireland champs, FFS stop actly like the little innocents there to make up the numbers.

Personnally I'm nervous to believe, not until I can put my hand in his side as Thomas would have said.
For too long I've been sucked in by Mayo teams, '92 v Donegal, '96 finals, '99 god help us, '09 Meath were all days I looked at and couldn't see us losing. Maybe it's old age but more likely experience that makes me look at this team and ask where are our 16 points going to come from, I'd think this should win this match but for that you're relying on Dillon and our half backs putting in quality ball to the FF line and scoring probably 5-6 points, COC kicking 6 from frees/play and our other two FFs scoring 5/6 between them, I can't see that happening.
If AOS can play to his potential then we have a chance, for me he's the great white hope and can become the finest footballer to ever pull on the red and green. He'll have his toughest day yet on Sunday against some huge men that will make him look when normal size in comparison. If he steps up to the plate then we have some hope

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

onefaircounty

May have been posted, but was there a video of the 2006 warm-up nonsense anywhere?

Jinxy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 30, 2012, 02:37:16 PM

You no more think that Squire than Spillane thinks it, or Mickey Whelan apparently and why would you, yer All-Ireland champs, FFS stop actly like the little innocents there to make up the numbers.

Personnally I'm nervous to believe, not until I can put my hand in his side as Thomas would have said.
For too long I've been sucked in by Mayo teams, '92 v Donegal, '96 finals, '99 god help us, '09 Meath were all days I looked at and couldn't see us losing. Maybe it's old age but more likely experience that makes me look at this team and ask where are our 16 points going to come from, I'd think this should win this match but for that you're relying on Dillon and our half backs putting in quality ball to the FF line and scoring probably 5-6 points, COC kicking 6 from frees/play and our other two FFs scoring 5/6 between them, I can't see that happening.
If AOS can play to his potential then we have a chance, for me he's the great white hope and can become the finest footballer to ever pull on the red and green. He'll have his toughest day yet on Sunday against some huge men that will make him look when normal size in comparison. If he steps up to the plate then we have some hope

Better than Anthony Finnerty?
Big call.
If you were any use you'd be playing.