Con Houlihan RIP

Started by Frank Casey, August 04, 2012, 01:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Casey

Con Houlihan passed away this morning after a long illness. He was 86.

A fine writer, Kerryman, sports lover and above all a gent.

Ar dheis De a anam.
KERRY 3:7

Tubberman

RIP . Wrote his last column this week apparently . Will be in tomorrows  Sunday World.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Declan

RIP Con - Thanks for the memories

boojangles

RIP Con. My father always raved about him as a writer and he used to buy the Evening Press just to read him. In later years I came to see how unique he was compared to every other writer.

Dinny Breen

RIP Con

had the pleasure of a game i played in been reported on by the great man and having my performance complimented by him

His writing and now himself will be greatly missed
#newbridgeornowhere

Ard-Rí

Go ndéanfaidh Dia Trócaire ar a anam uasal. 
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

The Subbie

Had the pleasure of meeting the man over a few pints in the Portobello many moons ago, as knowledgeable about Welsh club rugby pre professional days as he was about Gaelic Football,Hurling,Intl Rugby,soccer etc
A true gent( a very hard to understand gent, but a gent nonetheless)
His sports writing will no doubt be held up as THE way to do it for future generations of scribes, though how many future sports reporters will also be a Greek and Latin scholar?? not too many i would imagine.

Ar dheis De a anam.

magpie seanie

He was on another level. I didn't always agree with his positions or opinions on things but he was a brilliant writer and you could always see his point. When you see some of what passes for sports journalism these days it makes his passing all the sadder.

orangeman

What an intellect. What a sportsman, what an irisn man, what a brain, what a mind of information, what a reporter.

What a great man.

RIP

moysider

A great sports writer. Used to buy the old Evening Press just to read him. So few replies on here is sad. Time moves on and I suspect many of our posters are going 'Con who?' 'What Evening Press?'

Donnellys Hollow

Con epitomised so much of what is great about this small nation. He may have gone to his eternal reward but his words, his wisdom and his wit will live on.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

maigheo

I remember when I started reading his articles at first,I did not think they were very good .Thankfully it did not take long before the penny dropped and I used to look forward to buying the evening press just to read what he had to say.RIP con you were one of the greats

Ciarrai_thuaidh

To paraphrase a former Taoiseach: "In the fullness of time, the greatness of Con Houlihan will be recorded"..

RIP Con. We will never forget you. Anybody wondering what the fuss is about should read "Windfalls", the collection of Press articles.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Shamrock Shore

Con Houlihan once said "there's no such thing as a middling spud, it's either a good spud or a bad spud".

Tis true.

Fogra

RIP

cornafean

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 05, 2012, 10:30:44 AM
Con Houlihan once said "there's no such thing as a middling spud, it's either a good spud or a bad spud".

What an epitaph.

RIP
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.