Galway v Cork, All-Ireland Semi-Final, Croke Park, 12th August

Started by CorkMan, July 31, 2012, 08:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkMan

Thoughts?

seafoid

If Galway get a start like they did against the Cats, Cork will need to be at the top of their game. I think Cunningham brings a lot to the setup and it's very encouraging from a Galway point of view. There seems to more cuteness about this team than previous versions. And they will work their arses off. Looking forward to a good match and it's great that Tipp play the cats in the semi.

CitySlicker11

That neither team should turn up as they will be a week late for their game!

CorkMan

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on July 31, 2012, 09:15:00 PM

Sorry, you're right I'll change that. (Feckin smart arse)

seafoid

Quote from: CorkMan on July 31, 2012, 10:05:33 PM
Quote from: CitySlicker11 on July 31, 2012, 09:15:00 PM

Sorry, you're right I'll change that. (Feckin smart arse)
Who is playing in the minor match ?

CitySlicker11

Hard one to call. A simple analysis would be that Galway will not perform to the same levels as they did v Killkenny and that Cork won't be as bad as they were against Waterford. If this is generally the way the game pans out then it could have the makings of a cracking tight game. Croke Park I feel will suit both of these teams, especially both sets of forwards. Again Corks defence will need to continue to improve as they did v Waterford, and Joe Canning will need to be tightly marked. If Cork match the workrate that Galway showed v Killkenny then I would go for Cork by 2 or 3 points.

seafoid

Depends how it goes in the middle third. I don't think galway are as dependent on canning this year. Cork have a decent chance and these 2 counties should win all irelands in future but it looks like galway are a bit ahead on the progress curve.

The Wedger

Its always hard to tell Galway and Cork apart on my black and white television!

GalwayBayBoy

Should be a good game alright. Galway v Cork game are usually very open and high-scoring. Can't see us playing as well as we did against Kilkenny. It's very difficult to pull off two top notch performances like that in a row. That said Galway may not need to reach that level again to win the game. Cork are nippy and lively and have plenty of pace but they've looked fairly wobbly at the back at times. They coughed up a few goal chances to Waterford but Waterford managed to mess them up by themselves. Galway also have pace but maybe are a bit more physically imposing down through their spine with Joe Canning, Niall Burke, Iarla Tannian and Tony Og Regan. All big men who can hurl. You would have to wonder as well who do Cork have to mark Canning? I don't really see a suitable candidate there that could hold him so they may have to give his marker some help which may open up space for others. Cork were wiped out in the middle third of the field for long spells against Waterford but Waterford never scored enough to pull away when they were on top and you have to credit Cork for the way they finished strongly. Galway's own defence looked shaky until they met Kilkenny when in fairness they really picked it up for that game and were superb as a unit on the day. Apart from one or two lapses in the second half. The Cork attack will present a different challenge to Galway than Kilkenny's did. Maybe not as good but probably a pacier unit than the Cats.

Asal Mor

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 01, 2012, 08:01:17 PM
Should be a good game alright. Galway v Cork game are usually very open and high-scoring. Can't see us playing as well as we did against Kilkenny. It's very difficult to pull off two top notch performances like that in a row. That said Galway may not need to reach that level again to win the game. Cork are nippy and lively and have plenty of pace but they've looked fairly wobbly at the back at times. They coughed up a few goal chances to Waterford but Waterford managed to mess them up by themselves. Galway also have pace but maybe are a bit more physically imposing down through their spine with Joe Canning, Niall Burke, Iarla Tannian and Tony Og Regan. All big men who can hurl. You would have to wonder as well who do Cork have to mark Canning? I don't really see a suitable candidate there that could hold him so they may have to give his marker some help which may open up space for others. Cork were wiped out in the middle third of the field for long spells against Waterford but Waterford never scored enough to pull away when they were on top and you have to credit Cork for the way they finished strongly. Galway's own defence looked shaky until they met Kilkenny when in fairness they really picked it up for that game and were superb as a unit on the day. Apart from one or two lapses in the second half. The Cork attack will present a different challenge to Galway than Kilkenny's did. Maybe not as good but probably a pacier unit than the Cats.

Good analysis GBB. When I look at the 2 teams and their performances so far this year I think Galway deserve to be favorites but I've been following Galway hurling teams for far too long to be confident. I'd agree with seafoid  that Cunningham is doing great work and we won't collapse like we did against Waterford a year ago. The lads have given us a great year so far - hopefully they'll do themselves justice against Cork. To get to a final would be a huge achievement after 7 years outside the top 4.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 01, 2012, 09:53:48 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 01, 2012, 08:01:17 PM

Good analysis GBB. When I look at the 2 teams and their performances so far this year I think Galway deserve to be favorites but I've been following Galway hurling teams for far too long to be confident. I'd agree with seafoid  that Cunningham is doing great work and we won't collapse like we did against Waterford a year ago. The lads have given us a great year so far - hopefully they'll do themselves justice against Cork. To get to a final would be a huge achievement after 7 years outside the top 4.
They won't get a shtart like the last day but it's the way they played afterwards that was the most inspiring. The hunger and the confidence and the teamwork and the mental strength. Back in the glory days of the 80s if Joe Cooney missed a few frees the game could be lost - the mental side was a always a bit fragile but Cunningham seems to have done a lot of work on this side and I don't think we'll be hearing things like "it was lost on the line"- he really is a huge improvement on his predecessors. If they don't win this year they will soon enough. f**k it, it's great.  We have the hurlers and we have a very good manager.

Premier Emperor

If Galway don't crack under the pressure in this game, then they'll crack in the final.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Premier Emperor on August 03, 2012, 10:33:22 AM
If Galway don't crack under the pressure in this game, then they'll crack in the final.

I shouldn't bother but here's a stat for ya Premier Emperor. Tipp haven't won more than 1 All-Ireland in a decade since the 60's. Clare, Offaly and even poor old Galway have all managed it since then. Does 1 All-Ireland every 10 years in a sport with only  a few realistic contenders justify that level of arrogance.

Here's another stat for ya. Kilkenny have won more All-Irelands in the last 6 years than Tipp have won in the last 40. I'm sure whoever wins between Galway and Cork will be cheering for ye in the semi.    ;D

CitySlicker11

Hope this isn't one of the modern games that are highly based around stats etc, Galway brought this type of game into the Leinster final. However I don't think it will be needed in the semi final, and could hinder them. Galway should back themselves to outscore Cork and go for the win in that style. Would also be great for the neutral, hopefully a decent crowd at this as we continue what has been a decent season so far for inter county hurling.