Donegal v Kerry AIQF

Started by RMDrive, July 28, 2012, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Why we should ignore pundits like Joe Brolly
By Kieran Shannon

If he wants to ignore Brolly why does he write an article about him? The world of GAA journalism is a pure circus.
That Keane  clown in the Indo who said the Tyrone match was as good as an all Ireland is another example. 
It's all about selling papers.

Anyway I hope Donegal put Kerry to the sword on Saturday.
They threw away last year's all Ireland and don't deserve another chance. Some team that hasn't won for a while could win it if Kerry are out.

CorkMan

Quote from: seafoid on July 31, 2012, 09:30:59 PM
Why we should ignore pundits like Joe Brolly
By Kieran Shannon

If he wants to ignore Brolly why does he write an article about him? The world of GAA journalism is a pure circus.
That Keane  clown in the Indo who said the Tyrone match was as good as an all Ireland is another example. 
It's all about selling papers.

Anyway I hope Donegal put Kerry to the sword on Saturday.
They threw away last year's all Ireland and don't deserve another chance. Some team that hasn't won for a while could win it if Kerry are out.

Some team that hasn't won for a while could win it if Kerry win on Sunday too. I don't think they'll win it this year. They're not the same team they were in the last decade.

seafoid

Don't say that to the Kerry lads.

CorkMan

They know it too, even if they won't admit it.

Mike Sheehy

Cork and Dublin lads obviously shitting it in case they meet Kerry. No idea why the "fancy dan" has such a problem with us though. Most likely still bitter about their choke against us in 2000 !

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Kerry aren't as strong in midfield as we were in the 2006-2009 period (i.e: No Darragh), some defenders with a lot of mileage on the clock also..but Tomás O'Sé, Marc, O'Mahony for example are moving as well as ever. Enright has slotted in brilliantly lately. The forwards are going as well as they ever have...Declan O'Sullivan, Galvin, Gooch, Donaghy, O'Donoghue all on top of their game. The lazy trotted out lines such as "Kerry have played their all-Ireland" etc...are ignoring any detailed analysis of the team aswell as the fact that 9 times out of 10 Kerry raise their game in Croker come business end of the championship.

The Donegal game is going to be a very tough one and it was interesting to hear Rory Gallagher say he expects a high-scoring game..could be mind games, but both teams have been scoring decently lately...who knows. All we know for sure is that there will be a high level of intensity and hopefully a lot of good football played.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

eviemonkey

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 31, 2012, 11:45:25 PM
The Donegal game is going to be a very tough one and it was interesting to hear Rory Gallagher say he expects a high-scoring game..could be mind games, but both teams have been scoring decently lately...who knows. All we know for sure is that there will be a high level of intensity and hopefully a lot of good football played.

I don't think it is in Donegal's best interests for a open, high-scoring game to develop. They could still win it of course and they have dabbled with a more expansive gameplan but not to the extent they would want to go toe to toe with Kerry in an attacking game. Not yet anyway. Their best chance of progressing is still in a low-scoring tactical game with an emphasis on tight defending so that is what I would expect to see on Sunday.

I think they will keep it defensive for 45-50 minutes, keep it tight and low-scoring and then mix it up a bit in the last 20. They had Dublin on the ropes late on last year but seemed too paralysed by their rigid adherence to the defensive system to take advantage. This time they will try to land the knock-out punch of their own if they get the chance rather than having to squeeze the life out of the opposition for 70 minutes.

cadence

Quote from: eviemonkey on August 01, 2012, 12:09:02 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 31, 2012, 11:45:25 PM

I don't think it is in Donegal's best interests for a open, high-scoring game to develop. They could still win it of course and they have dabbled with a more expansive gameplan but not to the extent they would want to go toe to toe with Kerry in an attacking game. Not yet anyway. Their best chance of progressing is still in a low-scoring tactical game with an emphasis on tight defending so that is what I would expect to see on Sunday.

I think they will keep it defensive for 45-50 minutes, keep it tight and low-scoring and then mix it up a bit in the last 20. They had Dublin on the ropes late on last year but seemed too paralysed by their rigid adherence to the defensive system to take advantage. This time they will try to land the knock-out punch of their own if they get the chance rather than having to squeeze the life out of the opposition for 70 minutes.

agree with everything you say. i would worry about kerry getting off to a flyer and putting a rake of pts on the board in the first 20mins. we'll need to be max intensity from the off. winding the kerry boys up is all well and good, but they are still the best team in ireland on their day imo and the trick is to not let them get up a head of steam. easier said than done though.

rrhf

Kerry will go for it wham bam style first 20 minutes. The problem Donegal have here is that Kerry are unlikely to miss chances and can develop a match winning lead quicker that any team in Ireland.

seafoid

The question is whether kerry have the heads right  . The aif threw up a lot of questions and the reaction to the tyrone match was a sign of a certain amount of self doubt. Maybe they are better than ever but do they believe it and is it strong enough for the last 3 minutes of a tight match?

heffo

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 31, 2012, 11:39:23 PM
Cork and Dublin lads obviously shitting it in case they meet Kerry. No idea why the "fancy dan" has such a problem with us though. Most likely still bitter about their choke against us in 2000 !

Dublin certainly aren't afraid - I wanted to draw them and any Dublin players I spoke to wanted them too.

Anyway, on with Donegal v Kerry - I think Kerry will nick it.

EC Unique

Donegal will revert to type. Expect a low scoring game. No idea who will win. I hope it is Donegal.

CorkMan

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 31, 2012, 11:39:23 PM

No, not really.

Keane

Don't really agree with the idea that a high scoring game suits anyone but Donegal considering Donegal have only conceded one goal in the last two years of Championship football.

Think Kerry have quite a good chance of shading a low scoring game but might not be able to score enough against Donegal's defence to win a high scoring game.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on August 01, 2012, 11:14:15 AM
The question is whether kerry have the heads right  . The aif threw up a lot of questions and the reaction to the tyrone match was a sign of a certain amount of self doubt. Maybe they are better than ever but do they believe it and is it strong enough for the last 3 minutes of a tight match?

Dont worry about us fancy Dan. We leave that self-doubt craic to the likes of the Galway hurlers who flatter to deceive every year only to get bitch slapped back to Leinster (snigger)  by some Munster team.