Cill Dara v Luimneach

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 16, 2012, 08:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: The Burner on July 16, 2012, 02:27:47 PM
The pundits and experts will write us off again, Honestly the sheer ignorance the so called "experts" shown towards Limerick and Munster football in general is a disgrace. Dublin aside Limerick are as good as anything in Leinster over the last few years. Full strength Id fancy us to take Kildare/Cavan but missing 4  possibly 5 starters its going to be difficult to get the better of Kildare/Cavan. John Galvin is a massive loss. Hopefully a strong referee this time unlike the last time where Andrew Mcloughlin fouled and dragged Ian Ryan all day and somehow managed to stay on the pitch. a strong home support and a greater depth to their squad will see Kildare/Cavan through though.

Change the tune one year on and your still playing it.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=19876.msg994265#msg994265
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 16, 2012, 03:09:32 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2012, 02:56:17 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 16, 2012, 02:50:20 PM
The pundits and experts will write us off again, Honestly the sheer ignorance the so called "experts" shown towards Limerick and Munster football in general is a disgrace. Dublin aside Limerick are as good as anything in Leinster over the last few years. Full strength Id fancy us to take Kildare/Cavan but missing 4  possibly 5 starters its going to be difficult to get the better of Kildare/Cavan. John Galvin is a massive loss. Hopefully a strong referee this time unlike the last time where Andrew Mcloughlin fouled and dragged Ian Ryan all day and somehow managed to stay on the pitch. a strong home support and a greater depth to their squad will see Kildare/Cavan through though.

Cavan are already out, so no need to worry about us. Stephen Kelly is also a very useful forward aswell. Would have given limerick a chance if Galvin was available, class player.

He's trying and failing to be funny because SJ plays for Kildare we are now Kildare/Cavan in his cartoon, perhaps Kilvan or Cadare would have been a a better attempt.

Suppose it's something we're just going to have to put up with from now on. Didn't some lad from An Ghaeltacht of Kerry play with Limerick a few years ago though?

Just looking at it from a purely football point of view, it's hard to see Johnston featuring from the start for Kildare this year. Smith was excellent yesterday and has a good understanding with O'Connor. They very effective together in the Wicklow game last year I recall correctly. I don't think they've actually been used much as a pairing since then with Kavanagh usually the man inside. I thought being positioned a bit further out the field yesterday suited him too but it's hard to draw any conclusions given how uncompetitive the match was. From the admittedly very brief cameo we saw of Johnston, he looked a bit off the pace. He was beaten out to one ball and looked laboured trying to chase his man back out the field. Dropping a starting inside forward for him also has the potential to put a few noses out of joint.

Johnson had a big arse alright, wouldn't judge him on that cameo but he was hungry for the ball and seemed to find space for himself easliy, although Pavarotti could have found space in that Cavan defence. It's competition for places though which is great and Smithy has raised his game - undroppable after yesterday, Conway could be the one under pressure, Jimmers did a lot of the playmaking and gave the pass of the championship so far, had a great view of that pass to Bolton but I'm sure management will be delighted with these headaches.

Fortunate that Galvin is still out as we have issues at midfield and in particular runners coming through the middle, Stephen Kelly is very direct and I can see him causing problems.  Limerick were very loose against Longford and I think our ability to attack in waves will get us a lot of scores. We'll have the stronger bench so should pull away with 20 mins to go.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

I wouldn't think Conway will come under pressure from Johnston. I don't think he could play that deeper playmaking sort of role. Conway's freetaking has also improved immeasurably since his younger days which will always stand in his favour when picking the team. I think if Johnston is to start in any match it will have to be in place of an inside forward, so either Kavanagh or Smith because O'Connor seems fundamental to the gameplan now.

Leper could be accomodated in the role Eoin Doyle played yesterday if he's fit. It's nigh on impossible to second guess McGeeney though.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 16, 2012, 03:36:16 PM
I wouldn't think Conway will come under pressure from Johnston. I don't think he could play that deeper playmaking sort of role. Conway's freetaking has also improved immeasurably since his younger days which will always stand in his favour when picking the team. I think if Johnston is to start in any match it will have to be in place of an inside forward, so either Kavanagh or Smith because O'Connor seems fundamental to the gameplan now.

Leper could be accomodated in the role Eoin Doyle played yesterday if he's fit. It's nigh on impossible to second guess McGeeney though.

My point was that I thought Jimmers took on some of the play making yesterday and maybe is been groomed for Conway's role hence Johnson could start in the inside line with Jimmers filling in for Conway. Johnson is good free taker as well is he not?
#newbridgeornowhere

The Burner

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2012, 03:12:02 PM

Perhaps its the media who need to change their tune. Whatever the result next week Ill walk away with my head held high about the way we conducted ourselves during this championship. Something I can safely say you cant.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2012, 03:43:33 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 16, 2012, 03:36:16 PM

My point was that I thought Jimmers took on some of the play making yesterday and maybe is been groomed for Conway's role hence Johnson could start in the inside line with Jimmers filling in for Conway. Johnson is good free taker as well is he not?

Yeah possibly. I always thought Jimmers was best closer to goal but I'm starting to change my opinion of him now. He can be very in and out when he's left inside and has as many quiet days as he has had good. He possesses great vision and can pick out a good defence splitting pass like for Bolton yesterday or for Paudie's goal in Navan a few years ago. We need the likes of Jimmers and Smith to produce their best for us to be competitive against the top teams. Hopefully their positioning yesterday will help to bring out the best in them. I can't say I've seen enough of Johnston to say how good a freetaker he is but I doubt he'd have the same range that Mikey has. I know he sometimes gets a bit of stick over his workrate but I thought he put in a good shift yesterday. 1-2 from play is not a bad return for any forward regardless of the opposition.

The Burner

Cavan are already out, so no need to worry about us. Stephen Kelly is also a very useful forward aswell. Would have given limerick a chance if Galvin was available, class player.

He's trying and failing to be funny because SJ plays for Kildare we are now Kildare/Cavan in his cartoon, perhaps Kilvan or Cadare would have been a a better attempt.

Suppose it's something we're just going to have to put up with from now on. Didn't some lad from An Ghaeltacht of Kerry play with Limerick a few years ago though?

Just looking at it from a purely football point of view, it's hard to see Johnston featuring from the start for Kildare this year. Smith was excellent yesterday and has a good understanding with O'Connor. They very effective together in the Wicklow game last year I recall correctly. I don't think they've actually been used much as a pairing since then with Kavanagh usually the man inside. I thought being positioned a bit further out the field yesterday suited him too but it's hard to draw any conclusions given how uncompetitive the match was. From the admittedly very brief cameo we saw of Johnston, he looked a bit off the pace. He was beaten out to one ball and looked laboured trying to chase his man back out the field. Dropping a starting inside forward for him also has the potential to put a few noses out of joint.

Ya he lived and worked in Limerick though. Big Difference.

Anyway from a football point of view, Kildare have some quality operators but dont have a marquee forward like we do. They have a lot of decent forwards but no one the would scare the Limerick defence. Even John Doyle (absolute legend that he is) doesnt play a lot of his football close to goal anymore. Contrary to a lot of peoples belief Limerick arent as big and physical as they used to be but do play with a lot of heart and passion. Johnny Mac is as good a full back as there is although may play centre back. Limerick might decide to put Lucey full back to deal with O Connors height. Stpehen Kelly hasnt been playing that well recently but on his day can cause massive problems. Ian Ryan is just a class act and hopefully we can get the supply into him.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: The Burner on July 16, 2012, 03:49:58 PM

Perhaps its the media who need to change their tune. Whatever the result next week Ill walk away with my head held high about the way we conducted ourselves during this championship. Something I can safely say you cant.

Ah yes Limerick GAA, that great bastiton of GAA values as Justin McCarthy would testify.

I tell you what, you worry about Limerick GAA matters and we'll worry about Kildare.
#newbridgeornowhere

tommysmith

Workrate is one thing you wont get from Johnston , he is a good free taker from close range but wont be brillant from 40-45m.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: The Burner on July 16, 2012, 04:01:14 PM

Ya he lived and worked in Limerick though. Big Difference.

I was pointing out that Limerick like nearly every other county in the country have had outsiders playing with them too. Everyone has differing opinions on the Johnston transfer and there are valid arguments on both sides. I'm not particularly happy about it as a Kildareman but it's over and done with now. If you have an opinion on the transfer then make yourself heard on that particular thread so. Your references to the Kildare team as "Kildare/Cavan" are childish.

Dinny Breen

Tommy Callaghan ‏@TommyCallaghan1

Kildare Co Board refusing to agree to play Limerick outside of Newbridge but under intense pressure from Croke Park. We await developments
#newbridgeornowhere

tommysmith

KfmSport ‏@KfmSport

Kildare v Limerick (7pm) to be a double-header with Kerry v Tyrone (5pm) in O'Moore Park.

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2012, 05:39:13 PM
Tommy Callaghan ‏@TommyCallaghan1

Kildare Co Board refusing to agree to play Limerick outside of Newbridge but under intense pressure from Croke Park. We await developments

We have been waiting for the Celtic tiger to build that Kildare pitch for a number of years Dinny. Very hard to see it happening in time for the Limerick match.

The Burner

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2012, 04:18:25 PM
Quote from: The Burner on July 16, 2012, 03:49:58 PM

Ah yes Limerick GAA, that great bastiton of GAA values as Justin McCarthy would testify.

I tell you what, you worry about Limerick GAA matters and we'll worry about Kildare.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Justin McCarthy saga I followed that team the same way i follow any Limerick team. Im looking forward to the game. I like to make myself heard because Limerick Football fans are generally out numbered. The footballers are a credit to the county. In terms of playing numbers and popularity Gaelic football is probably 4th in Limerick so too compete the way they do is a credit to them. Kildare are a laughing stock, the Club championship is being treated with utter contempt and the Seanie Johnston saga speaks for itself.

The Burner

Quote from: tommysmith on July 16, 2012, 05:43:56 PM
KfmSport ‏@KfmSport

Kildare v Limerick (7pm) to be a double-header with Kerry v Tyrone (5pm) in O'Moore Park.

Cant see Kerry agreeing to that!