Kerry v Tyrone

Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold tea

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 27, 2012, 03:41:12 AM
This is a great thread. Mods, can we make it a stickie ?

I am sure you have delivered a few stickies of your own posting on it, surprised your keys still work!

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Cold tea on July 27, 2012, 09:12:53 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 27, 2012, 03:41:12 AM
This is a great thread. Mods, can we make it a stickie ?

I am sure you have delivered a few stickies of your own posting on it, surprised your keys still work!

Can you explain ? what I was talking about was keeeping the post topic at the top of the page. What
were you talking about ?

heffo

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 26, 2012, 05:54:10 PM
Quote from: sheamy on July 25, 2012, 08:26:43 AM
I'd seriously question whether Tyrone would have been applauded out of Killarney had they won, or if it was raining. Still, good to see.

A mate of mine is a 50+year old Dub. Married to a Kerry woman for a long time and they go down to Kerry quite often. He said every year they have great craic talking football.
He said he went down last Christmas and the when the lads in the pub saw him they'd hardly talk to him at all. Very dry and taking the loss to the Dubs very badly

That wasn't my experience at all - lots of Kerry people in my club and I've a few friends down there and all were extremely gracious and had the craic with us.

mlcollins

Typical whinging from that cretin mcguigan,they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree like his whingebag of a father.

Declan

QuoteThat wasn't my experience at all - lots of Kerry people in my club and I've a few friends down there and all were extremely gracious and had the craic with us.

+1

Mike Sheehy

I thought we were pretty mellow in victory. Bit sad to see us described as "hostile".
I think given 9 years of taunting that Gooch and Galvin could be forgiven a fist pump or two.

Also, everthough I never agreed with his book after the 2003 semi-final,
the reaction of Kerry fans to Mickey Harte was genuine so lets leave that aspect of the Kerry v Tyrone relationship unspoiled by cynicism..ok ?

Franko

Quote from: sheamy on July 27, 2012, 07:54:46 AM
Brian didn't get the 'One GAA Family, Respect' memo then...

McGuigan spits fury at Kerry duo
By John Fogarty
Friday, July 27, 2012
Tyrone's Brian McGuigan has sensationally claimed Declan O'Sullivan exaggerated an injury to get him sent off last Saturday.
The Ardboe man, a second-half sub last weekend, said his opponent "smiled and sniggered" after David Coldrick dismissed him and compared the Kerry forward's action to Cristiano Ronaldo's wink following Wayne Rooney's sending off in the 2006 World Cup.

McGuigan was scathing in his criticism of O'Sullivan who he believes, along with Colm Cooper, looked down on Tyrone. He recalled how O'Sullivan refused to shake hands with him after Tyrone beat them in a league game in Omagh in 2010.

However, it was last Saturday's events in Fitzgerald Stadium which agitated McGuigan most.

"The one thing that is going to stick with me is the sight of Declan O'Sullivan smiling and sniggering when he got me sent off," McGuigan wrote in his Gaelic Life column.

"I suppose it was a bit like when Cristiano Ronaldo had the wink when he got Wayne Rooney sent off at the World Cup. That image will never leave me. People might turn around and say I got Gregory McCartan sent off in an Ulster final [2003], but as I've said before, I never wanted to get him sent off. I regretted that he was. Declan O'Sullivan, however, I felt was more than happy to have got me the line."

McGuigan went on to suggest O'Sullivan and Cooper are arrogant.

"Two boys I have found who always had an opinion about themselves were Declan O'Sullivan and Colm Cooper. They always gave the impression they looked down on you. When we were on trips away with the All Stars, I got on like a house on fire with Tomás Ó Sé, for example. But not those two boys. That's not sour grapes, because they're class players. But there's a way to go about things."

McGuigan even claimed O'Sullivan refused to shake his hand after Tyrone's league win over Kerry two years ago. He also made reference to the Dromid Pearses man's involvement in January's ugly All-Ireland club JFC semi-final against Tyrone side Derrytresk.

"He was just pure ignorant. Fair enough, it was hard on them, the way they lost [to Colm Cavanagh's late goal] but there's still a way to conduct yourself.

"I think O'Sullivan and Gooch are from the same frame of mind as Pat Spillane, where they could never seem to accept that Tyrone could beat them... they didn't like it when we came along and beat them not once but three times."

McGuigan qualified that there are "many great people in Kerry" and recalled Jack O'Connor wrote him a "get well" letter after his serious eye injury in 2007. He also praised Kerry supporters for the ovation they gave Mickey Harte last Saturday.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mcguigan-spits-fury-at-kerry-duo-202185.html

Dare I mention MarsdenJordanGate?  'There's a way to go about things'.  Balls McGuigan.

Applesisapples

I can't understand what Tyrone fans expect, Kerry hadn't beaten them in the last decade, there were written off as a spent force of course the atmosphere was going to be hostile to and extent. It appeared no worse than the atmoshere at some Armagh Tyrone games I've been at. Yes Kerry played up some of the injuries, so did Tyrone. And while were at it, I sat in front of Derrytresk fans in the Athletic grounds and they weren't exactly complimentry to the opposition. Supporters are like that, all teams play up. But for me the true ethos of the GAA was the 500 or so who remained behind to applaude Tyrone. Even if it was connected to Mickey Hartes troubles, so what a lovely gesture. As for McGuigan if he hadn't given O'Sullivan a dig then the ref wouldn't have had to make a decision...sore loser? I'll not mention karma or the Marsden sending off...oh wait I did.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Declan on July 27, 2012, 09:54:07 AM
QuoteThat wasn't my experience at all - lots of Kerry people in my club and I've a few friends down there and all were extremely gracious and had the craic with us.

+1

I've always found Kerry supporters to be very gracious and sporting. There's always a few gobshites who support every county but I wouldn't let them taint my view of a whole group of people.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Onion Bag

Quote from: Declan on July 27, 2012, 09:54:07 AM

+1

+2
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

blanketattack

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 26, 2012, 05:54:10 PM
Quote from: sheamy on July 25, 2012, 08:26:43 AM
I'd seriously question whether Tyrone would have been applauded out of Killarney had they won, or if it was raining. Still, good to see.

Sheamy I find myself yet again agreeing with you. I need to be more careful.  ;D
I was not at the match in Killarney and so can't comment on the how bad some sections of the crowd behaved or how well other sections carried themselves by being good winners. I have heard several stories both good and bad.

I do of course have an opinion and whilst I really do believe that most of those 500 do feel sorry for Mickey and his personal turmoil of late, I really do think a lot of that good will is a lot easier delivered in victory rather than in defeat.

During the 2008 final, I was up near the roof top of the Cusask and was surrounded by Kerry fans of all ages and personalties. I was there with my brother who had never been to a big championship match before. Now I was quite worried that we would lose that day so I wasn't my normal jovial self but I could strongly detect the bitterness and anti-Tyrone feeling the whole way during the match. Any time I would try to take their side or engage in pleasantaries they were having none of it.
So then when they looked like they could go on to win the game the got a lot more vocal and almost in my face with the attitude we have ye now. Then when Tyrone came strong in the final 10 mins, most of them, NOT ALL, got up and left. Nobody shook our hands and said well done lads. NOBODY.

In 2003 I was sitting near a lot of Armagh fans and the tension was unbearable. There had been talk before it about need for segregation. At the end nearly every Armagh fan shook my hand. Some hugged me and said enjoy it whilst you can.

My point is Kerry DO NOT like losing. They are sore sore losers. They don't mind you winning the odd one but they want to be high kings in their kingdom. They don't like it when you don't bow down and say they are the best and play the purist of football.

So whilst I admire this gesture of 500 fans staying behind to bid Tyrone and Mickey a warm goodbye, could it be with a hint of at last we have beaten ye and because so we can now show ye how nice and welcoming we are.
In my eyes it takes a lot more balls and honesty, to swallow your pride, your anger, your dismay, the total emptiness feeling of losing to turn around to your winning fan and say well done. You beat us fair and square and I hope you enjoy your day in the sun as we'll be back to get it back of ye next year.

A mate of mine is a 50+year old Dub. Married to a Kerry woman for a long time and they go down to Kerry quite often. He said every year they have great craic talking football.
He said he went down last Christmas and the when the lads in the pub saw him they'd hardly talk to him at all. Very dry and taking the loss to the Dubs very badly

I've been to a dozen or so All-Ireland finals and I can honestly say every time Kerry lost the final I shook hands and congratulated the opposition fans in my vicinity, but for most of the finals I attended Kerry won I can safely say not once did an opposing fan congratulate me or anyone around me, that includes Tyrone in 86, Dublin, Galway, Cork, Mayo, Offaly, Roscommon and you know what, it didn't matter to me because all I cared about was that Kerry had won the All-Ireland final. You'd need to be fairly petty to use the fact that the opposition fans nearby didn't give you a handshake, a hug, a big kiss on the cheek or whatever else you were expecting as a stick to beat them with years down the line. Also, those around you are a small cross-section, hardly representative of an entire county.

My aunt's sister-in-law's cousin's boyfriend went to Tyrone 6 months after the 1986 final and didn't have great craic in the pub, so on that basis everyone in Tyrone must be a sore loser. The crowd attending the Kilkenny cat laughs didn't laugh hysterically at all the jokes 9 months after losing the 2010 All-Ireland final to Tipp so they must be all sore losers in Kilkenny as well.

It's very disappointing to hear so many people reacting to the story about the Kerry crowd applauding the Tyrone team and Mickey Harte with something along the lines of "They wouldn't have done that if Tyrone had won". Most Kerry folk I met or was talking during the week had mentioned how they'd love to do something to acknowledge our support and a hand of friendship to the Harte family, particularly so soon after the whole trial and photos debacle. Also, Michaela had her own small connection with Kerry (women) having been the Ulster Rose in the 2004 Rose of Tralee. Many had said that they'd wait until after the final whistle and try and meet Mickey Harte. There was various other mentions of minutes applause/silence before the game which I felt was wrong - the way it ended up being done was the best way in my opinion. As I said, people had this planned before even going to the game and would have done it come hail or rain, win or lose.  It's especially disappointing to hear such negative comments about this lovely gesture from Tyrone people.

So your main point is that Kerry don't like losing? Stop the presses, sports team in "don't like losing" shocker. Show me a good loser and I'll show you a man playing golf with his boss. If you think Kerry people aren't gracious losers maybe you should take a look at Tomás Ó Sé's reaction to losing last year's All-Ireland final. I'm guessing you're too young to have attended the '86 final. In that case you won't have experienced losing an All-Ireland final, so consider yourself extremely lucky and if you ever do, you might realise why not everyone in a similar position is in the mood to go around backslapping and giving handshakes to those around them. I do it myself to a degree but I don't think any less of anyone who doesn't.

lenny

Quote from: sheamy on July 27, 2012, 07:54:46 AM
Brian didn't get the 'One GAA Family, Respect' memo then...

McGuigan spits fury at Kerry duo
By John Fogarty
Friday, July 27, 2012
Tyrone's Brian McGuigan has sensationally claimed Declan O'Sullivan exaggerated an injury to get him sent off last Saturday.
The Ardboe man, a second-half sub last weekend, said his opponent "smiled and sniggered" after David Coldrick dismissed him and compared the Kerry forward's action to Cristiano Ronaldo's wink following Wayne Rooney's sending off in the 2006 World Cup.

McGuigan was scathing in his criticism of O'Sullivan who he believes, along with Colm Cooper, looked down on Tyrone. He recalled how O'Sullivan refused to shake hands with him after Tyrone beat them in a league game in Omagh in 2010.

However, it was last Saturday's events in Fitzgerald Stadium which agitated McGuigan most.

"The one thing that is going to stick with me is the sight of Declan O'Sullivan smiling and sniggering when he got me sent off," McGuigan wrote in his Gaelic Life column.

"I suppose it was a bit like when Cristiano Ronaldo had the wink when he got Wayne Rooney sent off at the World Cup. That image will never leave me. People might turn around and say I got Gregory McCartan sent off in an Ulster final [2003], but as I've said before, I never wanted to get him sent off. I regretted that he was. Declan O'Sullivan, however, I felt was more than happy to have got me the line."

McGuigan went on to suggest O'Sullivan and Cooper are arrogant.

"Two boys I have found who always had an opinion about themselves were Declan O'Sullivan and Colm Cooper. They always gave the impression they looked down on you. When we were on trips away with the All Stars, I got on like a house on fire with Tomás Ó Sé, for example. But not those two boys. That's not sour grapes, because they're class players. But there's a way to go about things."

McGuigan even claimed O'Sullivan refused to shake his hand after Tyrone's league win over Kerry two years ago. He also made reference to the Dromid Pearses man's involvement in January's ugly All-Ireland club JFC semi-final against Tyrone side Derrytresk.

"He was just pure ignorant. Fair enough, it was hard on them, the way they lost [to Colm Cavanagh's late goal] but there's still a way to conduct yourself.

"I think O'Sullivan and Gooch are from the same frame of mind as Pat Spillane, where they could never seem to accept that Tyrone could beat them... they didn't like it when we came along and beat them not once but three times."

McGuigan qualified that there are "many great people in Kerry" and recalled Jack O'Connor wrote him a "get well" letter after his serious eye injury in 2007. He also praised Kerry supporters for the ovation they gave Mickey Harte last Saturday.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mcguigan-spits-fury-at-kerry-duo-202185.html

Disappointed in mcguigan here as he is a player i always liked. Tyrone beat kerry 3 times recently and i've never heard one of their players complaining afterwards even though they probably could have done given how tyrone and messrs mcmenamin and gormley play the game. The first time kerry beat tyrone we have one of their players whinging to the press. We also had to listen to micky harte whinging about the referee. Yes the ref made mistakes but in my opinion the majority of his mistakes were in favour of tyrone and i was supporting tyrone in this match. He should have sent curten off but that was near the end of the match and by then gormley should have been off (before half time) along with mcguigan. Mcguigan has gone way down in my estimation. Class player but not class off the pitch.

Fuzzman

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 27, 2012, 10:18:31 AM
But for me the true ethos of the GAA was the 500 or so who remained behind to applaude Tyrone. Even if it was connected to Mickey Hartes troubles, so what a lovely gesture.

Having read all the replies since my own initial post I have maybe let some Kerry fans attitudes from previous games I've attended influence my reading of the 500 that stayed on to show their support for Mickey and the team. Yes, by winning it certainly made it easier for large numbers to stay behind on a nice summer's evening, but the gesture was a good one and maybe my clouded judgement at the time was influenced that Kerry had beaten us well. They certainly mixed the good with the ugly with their victory. They know how to play rough and dirty as well as being able to play clean & exciting football.

If I am to be honest I don't like Kerry any more but I have to admire how they continue to re-invent themselves year after year. Unlike many reams who go through phases of dominance they always seem to be there or thereabouts year after year.

I suppose the one jibe I can still make at them is that whilst Tyrone and now Donegal get a lot of bad press for their negative tactics and maybe not enough good news about their great play.
Kerry continue to talk about being the purists and that they're not into the cynical or darker side of the game.
Even Kilkenny in hurling admit they're no angels

Congrats Kerry on beating us out the door. Ye should have won by more and I was disgusted with our performance. Yes the ref had a huge part to play but I have not and will not go on about him.
The fact that Mickey broke his usual silence about the ref speaks volumes of how bad he was.

As big Dara surprisingly only found out recently, I think you'll still find everyone else will be supporting the Dubs, Donegal or Cork if they meet ye

Finally, I am man enough to say I got it wrong with my analysis of those 500 people who stayed behind. They have a healthy respect for Mickey Harte and their gesture was a good one and should be applauded. They mightn't love everyone on the Tyrone panel or our fans but sure that's part & parcel of sport. We have given them and a few other teams some great exciting games of football over the last 10 years.
Hopefully we can get back to that top table with a new bunch of players soon.

Keane

The talk of sore losers by Fuzzman in the circumstances is pretty ironic.

EC Unique

In 2003, 2005, and 2008 Tyrone scored more therefore were the better team. In 2012 Kerry scored more so they were the better team. All the rest about pure football, puke football, blanket defence etc etc... is all bullshit. This game was a week ago so now lets get over it. Kerry have the rest of the Championship to worry about and Tyrone have a club championship to be getting on with.

Some of the stuff on here is embarrassing.