Kerry v Tyrone

Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Joe Brolly would know all about choking in Croke Park. He played 3 c'ship games in Croke Park and scored just 0-2 in total. That's a point less than the Gooch scored against Tyrone from play in the 2008 All-Ireland final alone.

Fuzzman

Good man Sheamy.
I presume you're back in 2005 & 2008 mode of supporting the red arses again.

Here's a wee article from the Irish Indo from our aul pal Breheny putting some pressure on Kerry to win

Legend Sheehy insists Kerry face major overhaul if they fail to overcome their old nemesis Tyrone in Killarney
SO many aspects of Kerry's reputation as football's greatest empire are under threat in Saturday's All-Ireland qualifier clash with Tyrone that it could develop into both a season and era-defining game.

Defeat would not only end Kerry's pursuit of a 37th senior title for this year, it would also probably result in a radical overhaul on and off the pitch for next season. In addition, it would leave Kerry with an unfortunate legacy of firsts, which both the squad and management are determined to avoid.

They include:

- Becoming the first Kerry team to lose a championship game on home ground to any county other than Cork.

- Losing a qualifier game for the first time.

- Losing their record as the only county not to have lost a qualifier.

- Failing to qualify for the All-Ireland quarter-finals for the first time since the new championship system was introduced in 2001.

- Suffering a first championship defeat in Killarney since losing to Cork in the 1995 Munster final.

- Being eliminated from the championship in July for the first time since 1999.

It's quite a list of 'things to avoid' in a season which surprisingly veered off course for Kerry after they topped the Division 1A table in early April, taking 11 from a possible 14 points.

Since then, Kerry have lost to Mayo and Cork, while beating Tipperary and Westmeath, the latter victory achieved so narrowly in Mullingar last Sunday that the small band of travelling supporters left Cusack Park feeling extremely relieved.

Among them was Mikey Sheehy, one of Kerry's greatest ever forwards, who candidly admits that Westmeath were unlucky not to have pulled off a huge shock.

"If there hadn't been a quick response when Westmeath went six points up early in the second half, it was probably curtains for Kerry. We needed a goal and fair play to Darran (O'Sullivan) he got it, but you'd have to say that the free that went against Westmeath just before that was very harsh. No doubt about it, we got what was going on the day. Just as well, because we needed it," Sheehy said.

He suspects that if Kerry had lost last Sunday, it might have been the end of the line for quite a few players. Obviously, it could also had implications for manager Jack O'Connor, but having survived a close call, the big question now is whether it was the turning point for the season.

A similar close call, in which they beat Sligo by a point in a qualifier tie in Tralee in 2009, had a galvanising impact on the squad and just over two months later, Kerry were All-Ireland champions.

However, there is one significant difference this year. In '09, Kerry's opponents after beating Sligo were Antrim, who were facing into a qualifier tie a week after losing the Ulster final, whereas re-energised Tyrone are next up this time.

Also, Tyrone head for Killarney with an impressive record against Kerry over the last decade, having beaten them in two All-Ireland finals and a semi-final.

"It doesn't come much harder, does it? If this game was in Omagh -- or a neutral venue for that matter -- I'd be sceptical about Kerry's chances. But since it's in Killarney, I'd be expecting a huge backlash from the Kerry lads. They know how big this game is. The whole county is talking about it. We're not used to being out of championship in July, so the pressure is on to make sure it doesn't happen," said Sheehy.

He's not convinced by the comparison with three years ago when Kerry reignited their season after a sloppy start to the qualifiers, believing that it will only become relevant if the team actually deliver.

"It's easy to say, 'look how 2009 went after the close call against Sligo', but you have to remember that we're still relying on a lot of the lads who shouldered much of the load then. They're great players, but they're also three years down the road. I just hope we're not all in denial about what's happening.

missing

"The Kerry supporter in me would believe there's another big kick in the squad -- there will need to be because the level of performance against Tipperary, Cork and Westmeath wouldn't be anywhere near high enough to beat Tyrone. There was a lot missing in all three games and it has to be sorted out or else the season will be over on Saturday," said Sheehy.

While Tyrone wouldn't exactly be any county's first choice in the qualifier draw, Sheehy believes that the motivational dimension will be huge for the Kerry players. Losing to Tyrone three times in six seasons was a serious blow to Kerry's ego, but that would turn into outright dismay if the Red Hand's dominance extended to a fourth game, this time in Fitzgerald Stadium.

"The Kerry lads have a ferocious incentive to win this one. That won't win a game on its own, but it's a big help. So, too, is home advantage. The Kerry support will get behind the team in a big way because they know the importance of this game," said Sheehy.

It will be the first time since 2002 when they beat a Mick O'Dwyer-managed Kildare that Kerry are taking on opponents who would be regarded as genuine All-Ireland contenders in the qualifiers. But just as Tyrone are Kerry's highest profile back-door opponents, the reverse is also true.

Sheehy added: "This is as big a qualifier game as we've ever had. It's great for the championship, but one very big name will be gone by Saturday. I hope it's not Kerry."

- Martin Breheny

Bingo

I'm going to say Kerry by 2 in a real heated and hotly constanted championship match. 2 red cards and a good game of football to boot.

sheamy

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 20, 2012, 04:31:34 PM
Good man Sheamy.
I presume you're back in 2005 & 2008 mode of supporting the red arses again.

Support is a little strong but good luck  :D

Fond memories still reside of the blonde haired midfielder welcoming us through the Moy with the Sam. Not even the vile unsporting acts of the next generation of some of his club men can take that away. A true gent.

Tyrone by 4 and a handbag war to break out on the streets of Killarney afterwards with a full week of photoshopping to follow.

theticklemister

My prediction for the weekend................... Dromaird Pearses to get their revenge!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONeill

Above all else, stay safe lads.

copyright hardyarse
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

NaomhBridAbĂș

This could be game of the championship/qualifiers/decade or whatever but its most definitely a game that both teams will want to win badly for the simple reason that it keeps them in the championship.

I'm not so sure that Kerry will really be all that driven by history, nor that Tyrone will be driven to keep their record over their Munster rivals.

Media and fans tend to put too much into the relevance of history - the last games played between the two teams only serve to stoke up the passions, and sell papers.

What is certain is that there will be an immense amount of pressure on the Kerry team to perform in front of their faithful.

Remember the old battle cry "sure cork/kerry fans dont turn up until the final..", well they'll turn up tomorrow, and given the fright they received in the last round courtesy of Westmeath, the fans will be wanting a perfromance.

And i think that Kerry will need to be at their very best to beat Tyrone tomorrow.

This year to date, Tyrone have had the makings of a fairly decent season - in the league they were strong, regardless of the quality around them. In the championship, they played superb football against Armagh, and in the following round, where they had to dramatically change their tactics, they ran Donegal close.  The game against Roscommon, did nothing more than bring a new footballer onto the wider stage, but over all as a team, Tyrone have been scoring this season.

And it will be scores needed to beat Kerry tomorrow, and thats where i think Tyrone will over come Kerry.

I would ignore Brolly's comments about the Gooch - the former is a slabber, the later, one of the players of his or for that matter any generation.

I would also ignore the pressure put on young McCurry...with Penrose, O'Neill, Harte, Donnelly, McMahon, Cavanagh, there are myriad players who on their day can score 2/3 points each...

I feel the burden of expectation will weigh heavy on the Kerrymen.

Tyrone by 3.
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

ck

Captain Obvious

cadhlancian

Well lads, I will have her on in "The Field "@ 9.00am San Diego time! Should be a good wee crowd in, a few Kerry boyos hopefully to abuse! Looking forward to this game immensely,  should be a cracker, may the best team win........and mikesheehy,lick them!!!

seanog

Don't understand the "gooch choking" thing, he was near motm in 08 , kerry left that one behind imo, Tyrone got the rub of the green that day.

Tomorrow should be a great occasion, i fancy kerry to win it, it could be a fierce battle. Kerry have the better forwards on paper , solid free kick taker in Sheehan which could prove vital too, as there could be a lot of fouling.

theticklemister

i would go for any other Ulster team; but I have a deep hatred for them Tyrone hoors. I don't think I could put it into words but If i was on fire and ricey mcmenamin was standing opposite me with a bucket of water, I wouldn't ask him to throw it over me.

The hatred is deep down; i'll list a few things

1.Ricey McMenamin
2.Conor Gormley
3. Tyrone's diving on their way to their first All-Ireland
4. Tyrone beating Derry in the late 90s
5. The fact that we can't sing there is 'NO All-Ireland in Tyrone' when they start chanting to go back to Londonderry.
6. Ricey McMenamin (he deserves to be on this list twice)
7.Strabane

Ah f**k it i would be here all night. i'm away to bed.

ziggysego

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 20, 2012, 03:58:14 PM
The more we talk about him the more we feed his already huge ego
I'm sure he reads the board and loves this crap

You stole my joke Brolly. I've not forgotten....
Testing Accessibility

theticklemister

Quote from: ziggysego on July 21, 2012, 12:21:12 AM

ahahah what was it?

ziggysego

Quote from: theticklemister on July 21, 2012, 12:23:52 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 21, 2012, 12:21:12 AM

ahahah what was it?

The time Marcel Marceau died, I said that there should be a minute's noise for him. Brolly printed it in the Gaelic Life and didn't credit me.... Derry pr*ck! ;)
Testing Accessibility