Kerry v Tyrone

Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up The Middle

Just one more thing to admire about the man, probably the best , scratch that he is the best midfielder of his generation and now an extremley readable/likeable pundit.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Rois

Makes me want Kerry to win on Sat.

Well OK, maybe not. 

Syferus

I just don't know if even the greatest will in the world will lift this Kerry team. If it goes pear-shaped desperation will set in and that's something Kerry are not accustomed to in any sense.

nrico2006

I read that article earlier today.  I look out for his column every Wednesday now as it offers a great insight into the real nitty gritty, but on top of that its isn't the usual, short 3 paragraph job that most columnists fire out these days.

Up The Middle, anytime I am near a post of your it takes me a minute or two to get the will to move to navigate to a new page due to that wee GIF of yours.  Can someone out there figure out where or what film/TV show it is from?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

eddie d

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 18, 2012, 03:52:51 PM
I read that article earlier today.  I look out for his column every Wednesday now as it offers a great insight into the real nitty gritty, but on top of that its isn't the usual, short 3 paragraph job that most columnists fire out these days.

Up The Middle, anytime I am near a post of your it takes me a minute or two to get the will to move to navigate to a new page due to that wee GIF of yours.  Can someone out there figure out where or what film/TV show it is from?
[/b]

ha was wondering about that too

ONeill

Thanks lads. Bit exhausted. Away to lie down.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

I think Tyrone are a fine team definitely top 6 in Ireland and they are evolving nicely, but they could be beat by Donegal, Cork, Dublin, Kerry, Kildare, and a few of the rest that are left.  Similarly if we played as well on the day as we can we could pip most of them teams.  The key is our own performance and how we start the game.  I fancy Kerry to go gung ho from the start so we need to be up for that.  I could see a few early softeners in the game to test the younger Tyrone lads, I could see them working on Colm Cavanagh, Petie and Penrose to test their mettle and also discipline.  Most of the big hitters are away from these teams so you could see fully committed wee men throwing it around which is more obvious  and brings more yellows.   I think they will start off with Big Donaghy full forward and test Clarkes strengths from early on.  I feel we need another massive game from Gormley - in fairness this year he has been an exceptional leader. It is reported by many that Tyrone at this stage are fitter, so perhaps the only way for Kerry is blitzkreig early on.  If Darren O Sullivan is fit at all I expect him to start.  Galvin will have a key role throughout the field and his aggression and movement will dictate the pace of the Kerry game - his hit rate will be high.  I dont doubt Tyrone at all but I expect that Kerry will vastly improve their effort this weekend and could produce the performance of their season.  In 2009 they were beat by Cork in Munster, were lucky against Sligo, Longford and Antrim before beating a Dublin team by 20 points who had beat Wexford by 20 in the Leinster final, before they savaged Cork in every way in the final.   Gooch as captain will be hard to control but control him we must, and all the time our conceded free count is crucial. It will be interesting to watch the referrees  performance and where the frees are awarded for both teams.  Whatever happens its a great day in the sun - hard earned on the back of a tough season for Tyrone.  I feel they have boxed a little above their weight coming so close to Donegal and beating Armagh so well, but the heart and character they have put in is so evident.   We can be proud of all their efforts to this point and hope they have enough to take a win in Killarney.  How about extra time anyone? 

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Whishtup on July 18, 2012, 09:13:23 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 18, 2012, 07:07:35 AM
Quote from: rrhf on July 17, 2012, 11:44:41 PM
if we take kerry it will be a last 20 minute win, and to do with fitness and pace that we can bring on.

Fitness and pace ? I heard you were going to park the bus in front of the goal but decided to use Mugsy instead.

It'll be hot so watch out for pies being thrown along with the water bottles  ;D

I'd say ye got some thrill looking for that photo.

Twasn't hard really. I think I just googled "fat Tyrone git" or something along those lines.

btw, is it true he moved to Cookstown because he thought it was a centre of culinary excellence ?

ONeill

Quote from: rrhf on July 18, 2012, 05:24:11 PM
I think Tyrone are a fine team definitely top 6 in Ireland and they are evolving nicely, but they could be beat by Donegal, Cork, Dublin, Kerry, Kildare, and a few of the rest that are left.  Similarly if we played as well on the day as we can we could pip most of them teams.  The key is our own performance and how we start the game.  I fancy Kerry to go gung ho from the start so we need to be up for that.  I could see a few early softeners in the game to test the younger Tyrone lads, I could see them working on Colm Cavanagh, Petie and Penrose to test their mettle and also discipline.  Most of the big hitters are away from these teams so you could see fully committed wee men throwing it around which is more obvious  and brings more yellows.   I think they will start off with Big Donaghy full forward and test Clarkes strengths from early on.  I feel we need another massive game from Gormley - in fairness this year he has been an exceptional leader. It is reported by many that Tyrone at this stage are fitter, so perhaps the only way for Kerry is blitzkreig early on.  If Darren O Sullivan is fit at all I expect him to start.  Galvin will have a key role throughout the field and his aggression and movement will dictate the pace of the Kerry game - his hit rate will be high.  I dont doubt Tyrone at all but I expect that Kerry will vastly improve their effort this weekend and could produce the performance of their season.  In 2009 they were beat by Cork in Munster, were lucky against Sligo, Longford and Antrim before beating a Dublin team by 20 points who had beat Wexford by 20 in the Leinster final, before they savaged Cork in every way in the final.   Gooch as captain will be hard to control but control him we must, and all the time our conceded free count is crucial. It will be interesting to watch the referrees  performance and where the frees are awarded for both teams.  Whatever happens its a great day in the sun - hard earned on the back of a tough season for Tyrone.  I feel they have boxed a little above their weight coming so close to Donegal and beating Armagh so well, but the heart and character they have put in is so evident.   We can be proud of all their efforts to this point and hope they have enough to take a win in Killarney.  How about extra time anyone?

Agree with most of this. When was the last time Tyrone beat a possible All-Irelander? Some might say Down 2010 but it's a niggling doubt that we've not shown since '08 that Tyrone can beat a heavyweight.

Time for the new lads to take a major scalp. For me, that's a leap of faith I cannot back. I'm trying to think the last time we met a genuine contender outside of an All-Ireland final and won. Armagh 2005?

ross4life

Hard to know what to make of either team TBH.

Tyrone hammered us after poor showing the 1st half but we threw the towel in once the penalty was scored they only beat average Armagh by one score and managed only 0-10 v Donegal. As for Kerry they didn't look great v Tipp were well beaten by Cork while the win over Westmeath reminded me of their 2009 wins over Longford,Sligo,Antrim then from nowhere they produced a big performance v Dublin.

A real 50/50 game.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Glensman

Quote from: eddie d on July 18, 2012, 03:57:01 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 18, 2012, 03:52:51 PM

[/b]

ha was wondering about that too

Anchorman.

Great article by O'Se. Agree that he's the best, most insightful gaa writer at the minute.

Frank Casey

Kerry team to be named, as usual, at 9.00pm tomorrow night.

There may be a surprise or two.... ;)
KERRY 3:7

ONeill

Quote from: Frank Casey on July 18, 2012, 06:54:39 PM
Kerry team to be named, as usual, at 9.00pm tomorrow night.

There may be a surprise or two.... ;)

Gooch wearing an eye-patch?

Fuzzman

I think you got wrong end of the stick Shane. He got anew Ipad

time ticking away

I cant get TV3, can you watch it live on TV3 player in the north
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......