conor mortimer

Started by NaomhBridAbĂș, July 11, 2012, 07:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaomhBridAbĂș

From GAA.ie
Conor Mortimer has quit the Mayo football panel on the eve of Sunday's Connacht football final against Sligo.

The veteran forward was left out of the side for their semi-final win over Leitrim and failed to win back his place for the decider with Enda Varley getting the nod at corner forward.

Mortimer overcame a career threatning injury just two seasons ago to return to the Mayo fold, but now looks set now to concentrate on his club football with Parnells in Dublin.
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

cadence

that's a shame, still a lot to offer mayo. tough decision to make i'm thinking.

moysider

Quote from: heffo on July 11, 2012, 08:17:41 PM
He had let it be known last week alright that he was quitting if he wasn't starting Sunday.

How/where did he do that?

rodney trotter

He was in DCU a long time, i think he might have done 2 degree courses the same as Johnston.  Mortimer was also in UUJ aswell after dcu. He was flying in the league, for the most of the part of it. Mayo obviously have some good competiton in the forwards if he cant make.

Alan Freeman dropped for sunday, he would make most county teams.

Sam2011

This is from the Mayo GAA website:

The Mayo G.A.A. County Board can confirm that due to personal reasons, Conor Mortimer has decided to leave the current Mayo Senior Football Panel. The Management, Players and Mayo County Board would like to take this opportunity to thank Conor Mortimer for his services this year to Mayo G.A.A. and indeed for his services throughout the years. Conor has been a great servant to Mayo football and his contributions will live long in the hearts in Mayo people. We would also like to state the the door is always open for any player who is showing the skills, commitment, ability, and passion for Mayo G.A.A. now and in the future.

snoopdog

pulling out of the panel 4 days before the Connacht final. Would you not just stay for a Connacht medal, would probably have got some game time.
He will regret it if Mayo win

orangeman

If not back before Sunday, he'll be back soon enough.

scoopmine

Sad to see him go its all in the examiner tomorrow though so should be a good read. He is always colourful the mort.

heffo

Quote from: scoopmine on July 11, 2012, 10:19:38 PM
Sad to see him go its all in the examiner tomorrow though so should be a good read. He is always colourful the mort.

Be the hokey!

From the Bunker

Quote from: snoopdog on July 11, 2012, 09:38:45 PM
pulling out of the panel 4 days before the Connacht final. Would you not just stay for a Connacht medal, would probably have got some game time.

It probably says more about his ambitions and pride that he would rather leave than stay a recieve a token medal as a sub (if Mayo should manage to win)! I think he has three 2004, 2006 and 2009.

yellowcard

Geezer in talks with the Mort as we speak.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 11, 2012, 10:24:15 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on July 11, 2012, 09:38:45 PM

It probably says more about his ambitions and pride that he would rather leave than stay a recieve a token medal as a sub (if Mayo should manage to win)! I think he has three 2004, 2006 and 2009.

Bollox. All it says I'd that his own vanity is more important than the team winning.

Syferus

I think it needs to be said the lad has given more than most to the Mayo cause, years upon years of travelling up and down from Dublin for his county and the county's all-time record points scorer. Putting in that effort and not starting at his age and with his performances this year would have grated on any player. This wasn't the time to make your exit, though, and criticism of the manner of his departure is more than valid but it's hard to say he owes any Mayo fan an iota. He paid his dues a long time ago.

I know I'll be happier if the next time we play Mayo Mort isn't on the team sheet.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on July 11, 2012, 10:49:24 PM
I think it needs to be said the lad has given more than most to the Mayo cause, years upon years of travelling up and down from Dublin for his county and the county's all-time record points scorer. Putting in that effort and not starting at his age and with his performances this year would have grated on any player. This wasn't the time to make oyur exit, though, and criticism of the manner of his departure is more than valid but it's hard to say he owes any Mayo fan an iota. He paid his dues a long time ago.

I know I'll be happier if the next time we play Mayo Mort isn't on the team sheet.

For once I agree with a Rossie !!

Mayo Mick

Mort will regret this come September when he sees the lads collecting their AI medals.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!