Cavan v Kildare

Started by Dinny Breen, July 02, 2012, 08:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quelle surprise...

KfmSport‏@KfmSport

Seanie Johnston's much anticipated debut is in doubt due to shoulder injury sustained in training this week #kildare #cavan #gaa
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Yep but the right course of action. It kills the hype and reduces Cavans motivation and the distractions for the players.
#newbridgeornowhere

Onlooker

Seanie Johnston doubtful for a Championship match because of an injury.  Some things never change.  No need to worry though, he has a great record for recovering quickly and being able to play on the day. :) :) :)

mylestheslasher

I think cavan can win this game, get men behind the ball and prevent kildare getting space to let their big athletes power into. I think keating will cause them problems and I think we can match them in the middle of the field. We have home advantage and all the pressure is on kildare and especially mcgeeney. My biggest fear is that cavans young players get nervous of the big occasion and don't perform, however I'm confident terry and Anthony will have them ready. I don't see why we should fear kildare go out and tear into them I say. Sure the whole country is behind us and with a bit of luck the ref might be too.

Main Street

You're the man with the vision, Myles.

haranguerer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 06, 2012, 11:18:53 PM
I think cavan can win this game, get men behind the ball and prevent kildare getting space to let their big athletes power into. I think keating will cause them problems and I think we can match them in the middle of the field. We have home advantage and all the pressure is on kildare and especially mcgeeney. My biggest fear is that cavans young players get nervous of the big occasion and don't perform, however I'm confident terry and Anthony will have them ready. I don't see why we should fear kildare go out and tear into them I say. Sure the whole country is behind us and with a bit of luck the ref might be too.

a) mcgeeneys not playing
b) big occasion? Is it not the second round of the qualifiers??
c) most of the country doesnt give a f**k about SJ, including yourself, as you said

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Main Street on July 07, 2012, 11:22:30 AM

How do you mean, because I predicted Johnston would get an injury before the game? Everyone knew that. That's like predicting its going to rain next week in Ireland!

I do believe we have a special bunch of young footballers coming through, not that they all have the football talent of the top players (although I believe some of them will) but what they have in bucket loads is guts and attitude and on all the evidence I've seen they have a real love of their county and a willingness to work hard to achieve success. Maybe next Sunday is too soon for them but its not Kerry, Dublin or Cork we are playing. Its Kildare, a good team no doubt, but one that has been hyped to the ends of the earth for some reason that no sensible observer of football can fathom. A Kildare team that are under huge pressure to deliver given all the money they've spent, the scorn they've brought on themselves in the SJ affair and the strangehold McGeeney seems to have over all club football (and it seems hurling) in the county. If they don't beat Cavan well that would amount to a huge step backwards for them. So I say Cavan have nothing to lose and Kildare everything and if we can stay with them and keep the scoreboard close coming into the last quarter then we can win this game. That's my opinion.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: haranguerer on July 07, 2012, 11:41:19 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 06, 2012, 11:18:53 PM

a) mcgeeneys not playing
b) big occasion? Is it not the second round of the qualifiers??
c) most of the country doesnt give a f**k about SJ, including yourself, as you said

But you do right? You've supported every single thing he and Kildare has done since this began for some reason. I don't think too many people in the country share that with you.

haranguerer

Yeah well people are assholes Myles.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: haranguerer on July 07, 2012, 12:13:22 PM
Yeah well people are assholes Myles.

Good solid argument, if you are 12 years old!

Main Street

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 07, 2012, 11:51:40 AM

How do you mean, because I predicted Johnston would get an injury before the game? Everyone knew that. That's like predicting its going to rain next week in Ireland!

I do believe we have a special bunch of young footballers coming through, not that they all have the football talent of the top players (although I believe some of them will) but what they have in bucket loads is guts and attitude and on all the evidence I've seen they have a real love of their county and a willingness to work hard to achieve success. Maybe next Sunday is too soon for them but its not Kerry, Dublin or Cork we are playing. Its Kildare, a good team no doubt, but one that has been hyped to the ends of the earth for some reason that no sensible observer of football can fathom. A Kildare team that are under huge pressure to deliver given all the money they've spent, the scorn they've brought on themselves in the SJ affair and the strangehold McGeeney seems to have over all club football (and it seems hurling) in the county. If they don't beat Cavan well that would amount to a huge step backwards for them. So I say Cavan have nothing to lose and Kildare everything and if we can stay with them and keep the scoreboard close coming into the last quarter then we can win this game. That's my opinion.
I agree, Cavan can win this game.  A few goals would help the cause.

rodney trotter

Conceding 15 points to a team that were playing Div 4 isn't a great foundation. We have the forwards, the backs are where the trouble is..

Wildweasel74

Kildare will win pulling up, cant seen why people think different, cavan gotta be good in about 4yrs time with the last 2 u-21 teams but next wk will come to early for them, i know people see kildare as manfactured robots (like the borg from star trek lol) but they do have some good players, foley at full back good as are bolton and peter kelly, they are a man short at midfield with flynn carrying them here and earley too old to play there now, i feel they need to play kavanagh and doyle in the full forward to give them more scoring power. i expect a response after the meath game

randomtask

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 07, 2012, 11:51:40 AM

Im a Tyrone man Myles and I completely agree with some of your sentiments. I was at the last two U21 ulster finals against Tyrone. Both years Tyrone had the better players and footballers, but cavan came away both times through pure effort and because they wanted it much more. I think Cavan have a great side coming forward and in young Mc Kiernan, Mc Dermott and Tierney they have three potential stars for the future. There will be a huge cavan support i suspect and all the pressure will be on a Kildare side without an "injured" SJ. Although they may not win it will be a great game, finally Cavan IMO are a side for the future.

Kildare to win by 2

Westside

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 07, 2012, 06:01:55 PM
Kildare will win pulling up, cant seen why people think different, cavan gotta be good in about 4yrs time with the last 2 u-21 teams but next wk will come to early for them, i know people see kildare as manfactured robots (like the borg from star trek lol) but they do have some good players, foley at full back good as are bolton and peter kelly, they are a man short at midfield with flynn carrying them here and earley too old to play there now, i feel they need to play kavanagh and doyle in the full forward to give them more scoring power. i expect a response after the meath game

Completely agree. I think some people that have never passed a bit remarks on Cavan until this tie came up are completely overestimating where we are as a County based on decent (but not exceptional) underage results recently.  We are hugely suspect at the back, inconsistent at midfield and lacking top class forwards, Donegal could have beaten us by 15 points if they kept up their intensity.

I have no doubt Cavan will go out and give this game their all, these lads have spirit and I think in a few years time they will be a team no county will want to be drawing out of the bowl. At the moment though this game, for me, is a 8+ beating for Cavan. Sincerely hope I'm wrong.