Ulster Senior Football Final, Donegal v Down 22nd July .

Started by norabeag, June 30, 2012, 08:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

No, a goalkeeper who can use up 2 minutes of match time for every free, without so much as a glance from the referee.

Looking back on these last few comments, there must be a few WUMs among them. I can fully accept the flaws in the Down team - but can't work out what Donegal have actually done to be considered a team on a higher level. They're a useful bunch of players, but they're no great team.

cadence

"donegal cynically murder a frail and defenseless old gaelic football in its bed for silverware: victim's death caused by asphyxiation at the hands of brutes."

"members of internet forum assisting gardai's investigations."

aodhruadh

"but can't work out what Donegal have actually done to be considered a team on a higher level. "

Well winning 8 Championship games from their last 9 is pretty damn impressive. What they haven't done is beat a Cork/Kerry/Dublin - but in fairness they've only had 1 shot at any of them in those 9games. 

EC Unique

Does anyone actually care about this game what with the Kerry v Tyrone game on the same weekend?

Aristo 60

But they're on different days EC - so we can probably cope with 2 matches in the one weekend. It's like double jobbing.

Goldengreen

Quote from: Pangurban on July 19, 2012, 01:13:00 AM
Even if Donegal were to beat Down on Sunday, and go on to win the AI, it will not change the fact that they are not a good team. They win ugly, albeit within the rules. Outside of Donegal, who would pay money to watch them. No flair,limited skills and a win at all cost cynicism. If God forbid this proves successful and other Counties hungry for success adopt this model, it will lead to the death of Gaelic Football as a popular spectator sport. Indeed it would also be a very unattractive sport for young people to take up. I believe that Down will win on Sunday, because we have the better footballers, but if it is not to be our Day, i would rather lose than play like Donegal.

How very Noble, you keep fighting the good fight  ::)

wildrover

Quote from: EC Unique on July 19, 2012, 09:22:21 AM
Does anyone actually care about this game what with the Kerry v Tyrone game on the same weekend?

By virtue of the fact that one is a provincial final, being televised live by various broadcasters on the prime-time sunday slot of 2pm, between two teams who have yet to be beaten in this years championship, and with significant silverware handed out to the winner...while the other is a third round qualifier match, slotted in at 5pm on a Saturday evening to keep TV3 sweet between two teams who have already been humbled in this years championship...I think the Donegal v Down game carries more prestige...

Not like you Tyrone ones to get get carried away with your own importance....

PAULD123

Quote from: wildrover on July 19, 2012, 10:25:01 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 19, 2012, 09:22:21 AM

By virtue of the fact that one is a provincial final, being televised live by various broadcasters on the prime-time sunday slot of 2pm, between two teams who have yet to be beaten in this years championship, and with significant silverware handed out to the winner...while the other is a third round qualifier match, slotted in at 5pm on a Saturday evening to keep TV3 sweet between two teams who have already been humbled in this years championship...I think the Donegal v Down game carries more prestige...

Not like you Tyrone ones to get get carried away with your own importance....

Come back here on Monday EC and tell me what the attendance was for both matches and then we'll discuss which game people care more about!

yellowcard

I have to confess as a neutral that I am more looking forward to the Kerry v Tyrone game due to the fact that it will be a better game of football and largely because of the history between the 2 counties. Any game involving Donegal tends to be a grinding dour affair. Also the provincial championships, whilst important in their own right, especially to counties like Down who haven't won one in a while, are really only a means to an end for the big hitters.

JHume

Media criticism of Donegal is not dissimilar to that which surrounded Tyrone back in the day.

And like sheep, people will parrot those opinions as their own as they lack the ability to think critically for themselves.

The old media is directed by people of a certain age, filled with nostalgia for the 70s and Kerry's Golden Years and their one-sided rivalry with Dublin. That, and servicing major population centres is what drives mainstream media coverage. (Hence inordinate focus on teams like Kildare, Meath and even Wicklow when Micko was there.)

Any team, like Donegal today and Tyrone before them, that doesn't fit into the mainstream media's narrative is set up to be torn down.

Ironically, Darragh Ó Sé's column in yesterday's Irish Times showed how much respect the Kerry team had for Tyrone, even while the cheerleaders in the media were knocking them.

emmetryan

writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

fitzroyalty

Quote from: JHume on July 19, 2012, 11:37:31 AM
Media criticism of Donegal is not dissimilar to that which surrounded Tyrone back in the day.

And like sheep, people will parrot those opinions as their own as they lack the ability to think critically for themselves.

The old media is directed by people of a certain age, filled with nostalgia for the 70s and Kerry's Golden Years and their one-sided rivalry with Dublin. That, and servicing major population centres is what drives mainstream media coverage. (Hence inordinate focus on teams like Kildare, Meath and even Wicklow when Micko was there.)

Any team, like Donegal today and Tyrone before them, that doesn't fit into the mainstream media's narrative is set up to be torn down.

Ironically, Darragh Ó Sé's column in yesterday's Irish Times showed how much respect the Kerry team had for Tyrone, even while the cheerleaders in the media were knocking them.
Nail on the head. People tend to just regurgitate whatever they read in the paper.

I for one love watching Donegal play. Fair enough at times it's not the prettiest but the intensity and workrate is a joy to behold. The atmosphere at the Donegal/Kildare qf last year was immense and was probably the best I have witness outside of following Armagh.

Should make for an interesting game with the contrasting styles between Donegal and Down. I feel Down will really need to be on song both in attack and defence to stand any chance, but that's not beyond them, their semi v Monaghan should really stand to them.

Quote from: thewobbler on July 19, 2012, 06:07:23 AM
I can fully accept the flaws in the Down team - but can't work out what Donegal have actually done to be considered a team on a higher level. They're a useful bunch of players, but they're no great team.
Won Ulster for a start. Addressed their defensive inadequacies. Came up with a gameplan which makes them one of the most difficult teams to beat. Adhere's to this gameplan religiously. Argubably playing to their full potential, if not beyond.

None of which this current Down team has done/is doing.

screenexile

Ironically, Darragh Ó Sé's column in yesterday's Irish Times showed how much respect the Kerry team had for Tyrone, even while the cheerleaders in the media were knocking them.

Yes the outrage is over the top but it's not pretty to watch and anyone who says it is . . . well I dunno. Yes it's interesting and intriguing but it's not what I pay my license or entrance fee for. Their match against Dublin last year was appalling stuff, and I hold Dublin equally as culpable for that!

Having said that I don't blame them. If that's the best way for them to win it and they play 'within the rules' if not within the spirit that's their prerogative.

It's up to other teams to find ways around the system with a more attacking brand of football. This will happen I have no doubt as it did with football and the resurgence of Barcelona and Spain in soccer but I think Donegal are a team on a mission and will not be far away at all come September. Had Karl Lacey not gone off last year I think it would have been a very different Championship last year!

PAULD123

I have no problem with a team putting in place a method that maximises their chance of winning. That is completely acceptable even if it doesn't allow skilful talents to fully express themselves. Ask Greece or Chelsea are they disappointed that in winning major trophies their teams were less entertaining than the opposition?

I do have a problem with teams developing systems that are not "within the rules". Donegal do two things that are systematic but outside the rules. These are small things that actually cumulatively have an enormous effect. That's one of McGuinnes's greatest atributes - finding small things that give disproportionate advantages.

1. Donegal have a policy of slowing down every free kick. The punishment for this is the ball being advanced 13m and 13m again if it is repeated. the problem referees face is that they do it every time and it is tough for a referee to advance the ball every single time as he would start to get serious abuse both on an off the pitch. But what we need is a brave ref who will do it and keep doing it until they get the message (I think it would only take 15-20 minutes)

2. Donegal have a policy of running in to the opposition ball carrier. When an opposition player gets the ball, a Donegal player will run at him and indeed into him. He does not wrap him up and does not drag or pull the player. He simply runs into him. Then he steps back and starts to defend as best he can. This has the effect of slowing down the player but without the obvious dragging that would trigger a free. It is just enough contact to impede the player and allow the defence to organise their positions but not enough to encourage most referees to award a free. It is cunning but against the rules. It is not an accident which indeed should go unpunished; it is a deliberate charge (just not a very powerful or dangerous one). As it is systematic the referees should be told to punish it. Again the same applies as above, it is tough for a referee to award a free every single time as he would start to get serious abuse both on an off the pitch. It would seem he is being overly fussy. There is a rule to allow a player to be slowed down, it is the shoulder charge. The shoulder charge isn't there to hurt people or even knock them over, it is intended really just to slow someone down/knock them off stride in an acceptable fashion. But it is much easier to run into a fellow with your chest. The skill of the shoulder charge is being circumvented by Donegal by replacing it with a full frontal charge instead.

Hardy

You didn't actually take  that stuff seriously, did you?

Yerra.