Holiday destintations

Started by qwerty123, June 18, 2012, 10:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwerty123

I'm thinking of going to Austria for a week at the end of July/start of August.  Has anyone ever been, is there much to do? Any general observations - what the people are like, night life etc? What sort of weather can you expect?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: qwerty123 on June 18, 2012, 10:21:39 AM
I'm thinking of going to Austria for a week at the end of July/start of August.  Has anyone ever been, is there much to do? Any general observations - what the people are like, night life etc? What sort of weather can you expect?

Been there, once to Mayrhofen.  Quiet enough place.  People nice.  Main focus is on hill walking and outdoor activities.  Very little nightlife.
Also went to Niederau.  Very, very quiet.  A beer after dinner is height of nightlife.  Brilliant walking, paragliding and outdoor activities.  Nothing else.

/Jim.

qwerty123

Might have to rethknk the destination then!  I see that easyjet flight to Krakow are quite reasonable and I've heard that it's a good spot.

Armaghgeddon

orangeman

Travel agents will be loving this shitty weather.

Middle of June and we're getting this ?

That bollox of a postman in Donegal has a lot to answer for. Heatwave. Some heatwave. He wouldn't know a heatwave from a microwave.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: qwerty123 on June 18, 2012, 12:17:55 PM
Might have to rethknk the destination then!  I see that easyjet flight to Krakow are quite reasonable and I've heard that it's a good spot.

I guess if you hit Vienna or Salzburg you might get more nightlife.  I go to Austria with family and it's good for that.

/Jim.

ross4life

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 18, 2012, 01:37:11 PM
Quote from: qwerty123 on June 18, 2012, 12:17:55 PM

I guess if you hit Vienna or Salzburg you might get more nightlife.  I go to Austria with family and it's good for that.

/Jim.

Visited Innsbruck,Grossglockner, Zell am see a few years ago would highly recommend them also did Salzburg but didn't like it.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Bingo

Heading to Westport with the family for a week on Saturday and if it continues to rain, I'll explode. Last chance for holidaying in Ireland, will be the sun next year if its a washout next week.

ross4life

You probably know about this already Bingo http://www.westportfestival.com/festival/line-up/ the town should be lively this weekend.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Catch the high ball

Myself and a couple of mates were considering going away for 4/5 days at the start of August. It will not be a full blown drinking holiday (maybe a couple of nights) , more a break from everything and bit of craic.

Heard good things about Krakow, Prague, Bucharest, Amsterdam etc, anyone have any experience of these destinations (prices, nightlife, activities etc)?

Another suggestion I may consider would be going to Oktoberfest in Munich. Any advice would be much appreciated!
GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Bingo on June 19, 2012, 11:15:12 AM
Heading to Westport with the family for a week on Saturday and if it continues to rain, I'll explode. Last chance for holidaying in Ireland, will be the sun next year if its a washout next week.
It rains in Ireland during the summer. Just letting you know!

saffron sam2

Quote from: Catch the high ball on June 19, 2012, 07:24:47 PM
Myself and a couple of mates were considering going away for 4/5 days at the start of August. It will not be a full blown drinking holiday (maybe a couple of nights) , more a break from everything and bit of craic.

Heard good things about Krakow, Prague, Bucharest, Amsterdam etc, anyone have any experience of these destinations (prices, nightlife, activities etc)?

Another suggestion I may consider would be going to Oktoberfest in Munich. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Just back from Munich. Magnificent. Wouldn't serve us drink in the Hofbrauhaus, yet they never banned Hitler.

Go in August though - everything would be a third of the price of the Oktoberfest.

PM for more details.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

imtommygunn

I would definitely recommend Gdansk. Really nice city with a great old town and loads of history / good bars / restaurants. Accomodation seems cheap enough too.

I wouldn't recommend Poznan.

Gazzler

imtommygunn

Yes forgot about Sopot - another fine spot.

All very reasonable too. I'd expect Poland's tourism to take a boost after this tournament as most people I spoke too were impressed.