Dublin v Kilkenny

Started by Bud Wiser, June 18, 2012, 08:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Still say Dubs by about four points, if Ryan O'Dywer behaves himself although I suspect he has been told he will be exiled to Clarecastle or Doorabarefield if he does'nt. Yep, Dub's by 4 points.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

heffo

O'Dwyer in for Tracey - Dubs obviously going for physicality - I'd expect plenty of rotation in the half/FF lines.

Spread is 6 points I think, don't think KK will beat it and will hope for the best.

Croí na hÉireann

Can't wait for this. Up the Dubs. Now where's that soap?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

johnneycool

Quote from: heffo on June 19, 2012, 03:21:55 PM
Quote from: Canalman on June 19, 2012, 03:13:53 PM
Have a feeling this game will be bumper car hurling given how tight the pitch is in Portlaoise.

Honestly think that KK will beat us on Saturday and strangely enough that we could take them later in the season in CP if and it is a big "if" we get to play them again.
Don't think the cruciate trio have enough hurling behind them at the moment and think that the wide expances (sic) of CP will suit Treacy and Sutcliffe better. Treacy is a player I rate very highly and if he is in form Dublin can beat anyone.

For me KK by 5.

Would agree with that - not conceding an early goal is key.

Too often KK get an early goal and it knocks the stuffing out of teams - keeping it tight for as long as possible is vital.

Not conceding an early goal is indeed vital, but I don't think you need to play an extra man in defence to do that. I was really impressed by the Dublin defence last year and think they could go man for man with Kilkenny.
The additional man in defence allows Kilkenny to dominate in their own half of the pitch and still have the ability to pick out forwards and score from distance. You may keep the scores close, but you'll never beat them at it as they're very experienced at counteracting it.

Has any team beat them doing it? Tipp certainly didn't do it the AI before last.

Keep their half backs busy and out the field, leaving as much space in front of their fullback line as possibly, but Hogan will always stay deep if he can. That's the only way to get goals against them IMO.

heffo

Quote from: johnneycool on June 22, 2012, 12:12:06 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 19, 2012, 03:21:55 PM
Quote from: Canalman on June 19, 2012, 03:13:53 PM
Have a feeling this game will be bumper car hurling given how tight the pitch is in Portlaoise.

Honestly think that KK will beat us on Saturday and strangely enough that we could take them later in the season in CP if and it is a big "if" we get to play them again.
Don't think the cruciate trio have enough hurling behind them at the moment and think that the wide expances (sic) of CP will suit Treacy and Sutcliffe better. Treacy is a player I rate very highly and if he is in form Dublin can beat anyone.

For me KK by 5.

Would agree with that - not conceding an early goal is key.

Too often KK get an early goal and it knocks the stuffing out of teams - keeping it tight for as long as possible is vital.

Not conceding an early goal is indeed vital, but I don't think you need to play an extra man in defence to do that. I was really impressed by the Dublin defence last year and think they could go man for man with Kilkenny.
The additional man in defence allows Kilkenny to dominate in their own half of the pitch and still have the ability to pick out forwards and score from distance. You may keep the scores close, but you'll never beat them at it as they're very experienced at counteracting it.

Has any team beat them doing it? Tipp certainly didn't do it the AI before last.

Keep their half backs busy and out the field, leaving as much space in front of their fullback line as possibly, but Hogan will always stay deep if he can. That's the only way to get goals against them IMO.

Don't think we'll play a sweeper.

Would imagine O'Dwyer will float around hf/ff lines and come out for puckouts.

Dotsy & Treacy to come on in second half when game has (hopefully!) opened up.

nrico2006

Dublin seemed very well conditioned last year and seem to be extremely fit and physical.  They were unlucky with injuries, really could have pushed on from the league win.  How many players are Dublin missing now due to injuries?  What kind of form is Keaney in considering he is probably not long back, is he anywhere near his best?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

heffo

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 22, 2012, 01:46:06 PM
Dublin seemed very well conditioned last year and seem to be extremely fit and physical.  They were unlucky with injuries, really could have pushed on from the league win.  How many players are Dublin missing now due to injuries?  What kind of form is Keaney in considering he is probably not long back, is he anywhere near his best?

Three unavailable for KK game.

It's probably a couple of games too early for any of the three cruciate lads to be near their best.

nrico2006

Quote from: heffo on June 22, 2012, 02:35:55 PM

It's probably a couple of games too early for any of the three cruciate lads to be near their best.

What three are missing? 

It was a shame last year to see the progress they made and then for 3 key men to be unavailable for the curcial matches.  Hopefully they get somewhere near their best and Dublin are still in the Championship.  Be interesting to see how far the strongest Dublin 15 could go.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

heffo

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 22, 2012, 02:44:38 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 22, 2012, 02:35:55 PM

What three are missing? 

It was a shame last year to see the progress they made and then for 3 key men to be unavailable for the curcial matches.  Hopefully they get somewhere near their best and Dublin are still in the Championship.  Be interesting to see how far the strongest Dublin 15 could go.

Quilty (Cruciate), Schutte (Knee) and one other - the first two would've featured.

Considering the injuries we had for the league, it's practically a full bill of health.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Lar Naparka

I think Dublin is the only side that are able to physically stand up to Kilkenny.
I expect to see a fair bit of skelping from start to finish and I certainly feel that the Dubs will be still in it up to the final whistle.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they happen to win.  .
I'm hoping that they will.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tony Baloney

GalwayBayBoy

Cats 10 points up at the break having played against the wind too. Game has been a major disappointment so far.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on June 23, 2012, 06:12:03 PM
Good and all as Kilkenny are, the Dubs have brought sweet fcuk all to the table. Dire.
Kilkenny haven't had to be that good. Getting embarrassing now.

Declan

Worst Dublin performance in years - shocking