All Ireland Senior Football Qualifiers 2012

Started by drici, June 12, 2012, 12:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

THE GAA ARE USING THEIR HEADS AT LAST!!!!!!!!!

Looks like a great triple bill at Thurles on Saturday, the Tip vWexford football game and then the two hurling matches after. It had turned out great for the Wexford support. I hope they go in big numbers to support their county in both codes.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: babarino on July 10, 2012, 09:53:28 PM

Antrim v Galway

Leitrim v Wicklow

Westmeath v Kerry

Roscommon v Tyrone

Longford v Limerick

Cavan v Kildare

Laois v Monaghan

Tipperary v Wexford

Not sure how sharp Westmeath are at the moment but I think they're capable of causing a big upset in Mullingar. They'd have 31 counties behind them, while Roscommon should make maxiumum use of home advantage against the Tyronies. Kildare have far too much to go down to Cavan, who are a work in progress. The best Cavan can hope for is that this game brings on a few of their younger players and they put up a good challenge. Monaghan will be keen to make sure last year's early exit to Offaly is history, but the away record has been very poor of late. It should be one of the closer games of the weekend.

Based on our last game we are as sharp as a spoon. Would love to think we'll keep it competitive, hold on to your money though.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AQMP

Antrim v Galway (after ET ;))

Leitrim v Wicklow

Westmeath v Kerry

Roscommon v Tyrone

Longford v Limerick

Cavan v Kildare

Laois v Monaghan

Tipperary v Wexford

Rossfan

Quote from: theticklemister on July 10, 2012, 11:36:20 PM

Looks like a great triple bill at Thurles on Saturday,

I don't think too many of the Clare or Limerick people would agree.
I'd have thought a toss for venue between them would be the sensible option to save their own supporters travel costs and get a few € rent money.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Rossfan on July 11, 2012, 01:25:54 PM

I'd have thought a toss for venue between them would be the sensible option to save their own supporters travel costs and get a few € rent money.

Not only that you have to pay €25 for the pleasure whereas if it was standalone it would be only €15. Why the need to increase prices, people from Cork, Limerick and Clare are only interested in one game, ludicrous imo.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2012, 03:21:13 PM

Not only that you have to pay €25 for the pleasure whereas if it was standalone it would be only €15. Why the need to increase prices, people from Cork, Limerick and Clare are only interested in one game, ludicrous imo.

I'll never understand people not enthused to have the chance to watch more inter-county action at the highest level of our sports in person, nevermind at a discounted price. Long may the double bill reign.

Rossfan

Tell that to the many from Ennis or Limerick City who will be seriously out of pocket by having to go to Thurles instead of a 50/50 chance of walking across the road.
How many from Clare will drive past both Cusack and the Gaelic Grounds on their expensive way to Thurles?

And I wouldn't pay money to watch a football match between the current Tipp and Wexford teams  ???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Syferus on July 11, 2012, 03:27:59 PM

I'll never understand people not enthused to have the chance to watch more inter-county action at the highest level of our sports in person, nevermind at a discounted price. Long may the double bill reign.

Firstly it's a triple bill and not everyone has the time or the inclination to watch 3 games spread out between 2pm and 8pm and secondly 2 of the games are hurling which I would have absolutely no interest in watching live.

And it's not a discount it's a bloody 66% price hike on the game that I would be interested in.

The Clare v Limerick will be played in front of maybe 10K at the end whereas if it was played in Ennis or Limerick you easily get 15-20K and a far far better atmosphere.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 11, 2012, 03:31:57 PM
Tell that to the many from Ennis or Limerick City who will be seriously out of pocket by having to go to Thurles instead of a 50/50 chance of walking across the road.
How many from Clare will drive past both Cusack and the Gaelic Grounds on their expensive way to Thurles?

And I wouldn't pay money to watch a football match between the current Tipp and Wexford teams  ???

Curmudgeonly at best. Ireland is far from a big place and a few minutes there and back is little cost for alot more action. If some people really are worried about fuel then turn on the wireless and be done with it, everyone else will enjoy the day's action just fine.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Syferus on July 11, 2012, 03:36:01 PM
Curmudgeonly at best. Ireland is far from a big place and a few minutes there and back is little cost for alot more action. If people really are worried about fuel then turn on the wireless and be done with it, everyone else will enjoy the day's action just fine.

Great idea, lets disenfranchise your counties supporters, not all of whom have massive amounts of disposal income just so the neutral can have a great day out, let's see how far that gets you.

#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2012, 03:34:29 PM

Firstly it's a triple bill and not everyone has the time or the inclination to watch 3 games spread out between 2pm and 8pm and secondly 2 of the games are hurling which I would have absolutely no interest in watching live.

There was a massive crowd in Clane the other day for a hurling match. I think there are signs of a sea change in attitudes there in Lily land towards the wonderful sport that is hurling.  But what you don't want is the interest to be personality driven. 

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2012, 03:41:20 PM
Curmudgeonly at best. Ireland is far from a big place and a few minutes there and back is little cost for alot more action. If people really are worried about fuel then turn on the wireless and be done with it, everyone else will enjoy the day's action just fine.

Great idea, lets disenfranchise your counties supporters, not all of whom have massive amounts of disposal income just so the neutral can have a great day out, let's see how far that gets you.

If €10 and a few miles disfranchise any supporter then their support is damn well in question to begin with.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Syferus on July 11, 2012, 03:42:49 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2012, 03:41:20 PM

If €10 and a few miles disfranchise any supporter then their support is damn well in question to begin with.

And what if you have a family of 4? You have to look at the bigger picture, moving the game to Thurles would be probably cost a family of 4 from Limerick or Clare an additional €40 between tickets and fuel.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2012, 03:42:25 PM

There was a massive crowd in Clane the other day for a hurling match. I think there are signs of a sea change in attitudes there in Lily land towards the wonderful sport that is hurling.  But what you don't want is the interest to be personality driven.

Jesus Galway have their annual false dawn and as usual the Galway posters are suddenly experts on hurling and if you were such expert on Lilyland hurling you'd be aware that the next round of the championship is scheduled for 6pm next Sunday, bit of a dilemma for poor Seanie but that typifies the attitude between the Hurling and Football boards in Kildare.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2012, 03:42:25 PM

And that's why there has been a round of county hurling championship scheduled for Sunday clashing with the footballers match with Cavan. I know there's a county u21 match on tomorrow so there probably is a need for an extra days recovery but could they not have the matches throwing in at 7:30 rather than at 6:00. I'm sure there are plenty involved with Confey, Naas, Celbridge and Clane who would like to take in the football and then their club's hurling match. You'd have to wonder what the hell is going on at county board level in Kildare recently.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?