U21 Hurling Championship

Started by Donnellys Hollow, June 06, 2012, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bp

...the barman should've made some allowance for the probability that at this stage the Clareman had been p!ssed continually
since the first Sunday of September...at the very least.

Great days , we felt like Kings of The World !

Cyril Farrell fan

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2012, 10:16:55 AM
It would be good to see Clare coming again, and I think they might be a bit more grounded this time if they do make a breakthrough. They got awful carried away with themselves the last time, which is understandable I suppose :D.

I remember a barman in the old Davin Arms in Limerick congratulating a Clare supporter in October 1995 for taking '2 months to do what it took Tipp 100 years to do'.
2 months? I always heard people say 2 years.
It was only around the time of their 2nd All Ireland in 1997 that the public started to fall out with Clare.
The Barman might have been a prophet.

AZOffaly

Ye were kings of the world :) Seanie McMahon was some hurler in fairness. That Clare team was build on fitness, agression and commitment, but Seanie and Jamsie O'Connor at least would have graced any team. Seanie McMahon is probably the best centre back I've seen in my time.

johnneycool

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on September 17, 2012, 11:07:46 AM
It would be good to see Clare coming again, and I think they might be a bit more grounded this time if they do make a breakthrough. They got awful carried away with themselves the last time, which is understandable I suppose :D.

I remember a barman in the old Davin Arms in Limerick congratulating a Clare supporter in October 1995 for taking '2 months to do what it took Tipp 100 years to do'.
It was only around the time of their 2nd All Ireland in 1997 that the public started to fall out with Clare.

Don't think the public ever fell out with Clare, it was the moreso the traditional powers that didn't like being handed their arses to them by a bunch of upstarts who 'hurled on the edge' and had a lunatic of a manager who didn't care who he offended.

Twas great at the start to see wee Clare going well, but the party was over after the debacle in the Munster championship with Waterford when Lynch got suspended on the say so of three priests in the crowd.

AZOffaly

I don't know. I remember the Monday morning in 1995 I was there with a big sour head on me, but happy for Clare in one way. I remember a bunch of Clare lads driving around the campus in UL beeping their horns and hanging out the window with Clare flags doing the Clare shout. Limerick lads, not me I swear, that I worked with at the time were saying 'Jaysus, these bucks are going to be hard to listen to'.

I find that over the last few years Clare (like Westmeath in the football) have come back to earth when they realised that glory is fleeting, and they have joined the rest of us in being fatalistic and miserable :D

Premier Emperor

Quote from: johnneycool on September 17, 2012, 11:20:48 AM

Don't think the public ever fell out with Clare, it was the moreso the traditional powers that didn't like being handed their arses to them by a bunch of upstarts who 'hurled on the edge' and had a lunatic of a manager who didn't care who he offended.
I don't remember the 'Whipping Boys' handing many traditional counties their arses. A not very highly rated Tipperary team were within a whisker of beating them both days in 1997.  :o

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on September 17, 2012, 02:57:32 PM

I don't remember the 'Whipping Boys' handing many traditional counties their arses. A not very highly rated Tipperary team were within a whisker of beating them both days in 1997.  :o

Nearly never bucked a goat, Emperor.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2012, 11:37:10 AM

I don't know. I remember the Monday morning in 1995 I was there with a big sour head on me, but happy for Clare in one way. I remember a bunch of Clare lads driving around the campus in UL beeping their horns and hanging out the window with Clare flags doing the Clare shout. Limerick lads, not me I swear, that I worked with at the time were saying 'Jaysus, these bucks are going to be hard to listen to'.

I find that over the last few years Clare (like Westmeath in the football) have come back to earth when they realised that glory is fleeting, and they have joined the rest of us in being fatalistic and miserable :D

It was only a temporary setback, there's another load of young lads getting the bandwagon going again, should have another Leinster title in a year or two. And from what I'm hearing the Biffos are starting to drag themselves off the floor, with a Westmeath man leading the way. Who'd ever have thought!
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

bp

Quote from: Premier Emperor on September 17, 2012, 02:57:32 PM

I tought you'd consider Tipp to be a "traditional"  county. :o

homeofhurling8

I think PE, like most of us, BP,  has tried to block the memory of the horror show in the 99 replay from his mind ;)

Premier Emperor

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on September 17, 2012, 04:10:37 PM
I think PE, like most of us, BP,  has tried to block the memory of the horror show in the 99 replay from his mind ;)
I've gotten amnesia about 1999. The last thing I can remember is Conor Clancy taking his 17th step with the ball in his hand.

homeofhurling8

My nightmares will always be filled with Clancy of the 20 steps, smiling Dickie and the poison dwarf bucklepping his way back down the field after the penalty, i blame sumo for missing that goal chance near the end which would have finished them off, at least he made up for it the following year with his "rasper" ;)

bp

I know of women who left the room, due to nerves,  and went out to the kitchen to make a cup of tea when Clancy caught that ball, he still had it - fair play to him, when they returned.  ;D

johnneycool

Quote from: bp on September 17, 2012, 04:32:19 PM

I know of women who left the room, due to nerves,  and went out to the kitchen to make a cup of tea when Clancy caught that ball, he still had it - fair play to him, when they returned.  ;D

If it was any worse that Tómas Mulcahy's solo run with the ball in hand for almost 20 yards against Galway (i think) then it was a bad one.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: johnneycool on September 17, 2012, 04:40:50 PM
Quote from: bp on September 17, 2012, 04:32:19 PM

If it was any worse that Tómas Mulcahy's solo run with the ball in hand for almost 20 yards against Galway (i think) then it was a bad one.
Against Limerick was it?
He even threw it up and caught it again to not get pulled for steps.