GAA Outreach in Action...

Started by Evil Genius, June 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on October 23, 2013, 03:25:52 PM
Quote from: deiseach on October 23, 2013, 03:19:55 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 23, 2013, 03:13:13 PM
As is the idea that the IRA were universally despised in 80's.

Who claims that?

It's claimed fairly regularly on here (most recently by MNaG) that the IRA only drew it's support from 'hardcore' nationalist areas and outside that they were thought of as murderers.

I was just re-inforcing the fact that this is also a myth.

Not according to the voters of that period, post hunger strike (83) the votes improved and we have in Sinn Fein the biggest party now. Sinn Fein couldn't buy a vote before the hunger strike.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

deiseach

A vote for Cobain is a vote for Sinn Féin.

Sorry, don't know where that came from...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 23, 2013, 03:52:09 PM
What did it say on the ballot, milltown?

Tick here if you despise the RA and your vote goes to the SDLP too btw __

Can you read? I said before 83 Sinn Fein couldn't by a vote. Explain your last part in relation to me?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

glens abu

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 23, 2013, 04:00:28 PM

Can you read? I said before 83 Sinn Fein couldn't by a vote. Explain your last part in relation to me?

Sinn Fein didn't stand in any elections before 83

Milltown Row2

Quote from: glens abu on October 23, 2013, 04:07:05 PM

Owen Carron was an MP form 81 to 83 was he an independent at the time? maybe he was. Politics in northern ireland is shite

glens abu

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 23, 2013, 04:12:20 PM

Owen Carron was an MP form 81 to 83 was he an independent at the time? maybe he was. Politics in northern ireland is shite

Didn't stand on a Sin Fein ticket,but if you think he did he got 30,000 votes so kind of disproves your argument.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 23, 2013, 04:09:51 PM

I am asking you if they clarified on the ballot paper that ticking the box for an SDLP vote was also a declaration of hatred towards the IRA.

No (though in 83 i was only 11), it didn't but if on the ballot it had Sinn Fein on it they would have ticked it instead I would have imagined. Politics here is very annoying
Quote from: glens abu on October 23, 2013, 04:15:01 PM

Didn't stand on a Sin Fein ticket,but if you think he did he got 30,000 votes so kind of disproves your argument.

I didn't try and disprove it, he stood on the back of Bobby Sands and got that vote then it changed I already said that. But based on the political votes at the time people voted differently, I have no axe to grind here btw, politics is for other people to worry about I don't vote and didn't send in my letter for voting last month

But when he did go on the Sinn Fein ticket he lost out to Maginnis in 83

Nally Stand

Before 1983, SF barely looked for a vote. It was a political party by name only. They weren't even legalised until the mid '70's. Realistically it was merely a group of community activists/protesters.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

QuoteI have no axe to grind here btw, politics is for other people to worry about I don't vote and didn't send in my letter for voting last month

This is a rather irresponsible approach for a person concerned about the next generation.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 23, 2013, 04:19:59 PM

Before 1983, SF barely looked for a vote. It was a political party by name only. They weren't even legalised until the mid '70's. Realistically it was merely a group of community activists/protesters.

I know that's what I said, but they were a party formed in 1970. I'm not sure if they tried local elections first before trying to go mainstream. My neighbour Danny said at the time "Who here really believes we can win the war through the ballot box? But will anyone here object if, with a ballot paper in this hand and an Armalite in the other, we take power in Ireland?" that was in 81

Since they took the armalite out they have went into power sharing with the DUP

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on October 23, 2013, 04:23:35 PM
QuoteI have no axe to grind here btw, politics is for other people to worry about I don't vote and didn't send in my letter for voting last month

This is a rather irresponsible approach for a person concerned about the next generation.

I'm concerned with mortages, bills, work, rates, education, my kids my parents and rest of the family. If you want to fight the fight go ahead.

glens abu

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 23, 2013, 04:18:52 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 23, 2013, 04:09:51 PM

I am asking you if they clarified on the ballot paper that ticking the box for an SDLP vote was also a declaration of hatred towards the IRA.

No (though in 83 i was only 11), it didn't but if on the ballot it had Sinn Fein on it they would have ticked it instead I would have imagined. Politics here is very annoying
Quote from: glens abu on October 23, 2013, 04:15:01 PM

I didn't try and disprove it, he stood on the back of Bobby Sands and got that vote then it changed I already said that. But based on the political votes at the time people voted differently, I have no axe to grind here btw, politics is for other people to worry about I don't vote and didn't send in my letter for voting last month

But when he did go on the Sinn Fein ticket he lost out to Maginnis in 83

Well don't think it was because he was on SF ticket,think it was because the Nationalist vote was split when the SDLP entered this election and won 10,000 votes to Carrons 20,000,combined they would probably have won the seat,thank God that has changed over the past few years although its always going to be tight down there.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: CD on October 23, 2013, 11:39:23 AM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on October 23, 2013, 08:19:35 AM
Times have changed since Dungiven named their club, if it was to renamed today I am not it would happen but I don't think that you can retrospectively change these things.

I think the GAA/Ulster Council should be harder on clubs that host tournaments in honour of terrorists etc..  (Looking at the example that started this thread).  As a GAA member I entitled to have an opinion on what a club does if I feel it reflects on the rest of the organisation.

I also think the GAA should engage with those that want to constructively engage with them, accept their suggestions and act on them where appropriate.  There is no point in engaging with the Jim McAllisters of the world.  Nothing the GAA could ever do will appease them (short of disbanding). However someone who is genuninely interested in supporting/playing the games should always be listen to.

Myles Na G is one that there is no point engaging with and will take umbrage with everything.  Previously he has criticised the GAA for not having a formal view on candidates for the Irish Presidency and eligibility rules of international soccer.  Not only did he want them to have such formal views but ranted that members were no disciplined for expressing contrary positions to these views.

That's what you are dealing with here.

/Jim.

I hold very similar views to you Jim. I'm very proud of the GAA. It is something we should all be very proud of. I don't think the celebration of patriot dead in 2013 is appropriate or in the interests of the Association.

interests of the Association

And there in lies the nub.  People point to nationalist/32 county references in GAA rules but to me the primary aim is to promote the games.

I accept that Kevin Lynch's is named and done.  That doesn't mean that in 2013 we should do the same.

My primary interest is in Gaelic Games (or to be brutally honest, hurling) and the other stuff only really bothers me if it gets in the way of that.  I know to some the other stuff is just as important but it just isn't for me.  I would fear that sticking pictures of RA men on the back of medals could get in the way promoting the games.

Equally I am not motivated by the likes of Myles or McAllister's comments, they are not worthy of engagement or consideration because along with the genuine concerns they throw up complete rubblish.

/Jim.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on October 23, 2013, 05:45:43 PM
And there in lies the nub.  People point to nationalist/32 county references in GAA rules but to me the primary aim is to promote the games.
And there in lies the nub. It's not about what you regard the primary aims to be. The "nationalist/32 county references in GAA rules" are just that: in the GAA rules.

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on October 23, 2013, 05:45:43 PM
I would fear that sticking pictures of RA men on the back of medals could get in the way promoting the games.
How many tournaments have medals with a picture of "RA men" on them? I can think of only one, (the Vol. Martin McCaughey one) but it isn't an official GAA tournament.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Rossfan

Most GAA people and followers only see the GAA as a games playeing organisation no matter what load of politicised stuff might be written at the start of the T.O.
Let's leave the politics to the politicians and let the GAA concentrate on its games and rewrite the basic aim.

Anyway who needs the GAA to strengthen their National Identity in 2013? And who reads the start of the T.O?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM