GAA Outreach in Action...

Started by Evil Genius, June 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 14, 2012, 03:21:00 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on June 14, 2012, 03:13:06 PM
Outrage as Union Jack is raised at GAA pitch
14 June 2012

Members of a GAA club in Co. Down awoke on Tuesday morning to discover vandals had wreaked havoc at a pitch that is used by their juvenile players.

A day after a Union Jack flag was tied to the top of one of the goalposts at the Newry and Mourne District Council pitch near Kilkeel, which is being used by Ballymartin GAA while their own pitch is being redeveloped, bigots used heavy cutting equipment to remove the metal uprights, which left the goal-frame looking like soccer goals. They also used a stencil to paint the word 'British' on the remainder of each post.

Sinn Fein Councillor Sean Doran has accused the vandals of trying to drive Catholics out of the area.

"It is exclusively used by juveniles. Over 50 children under the age of 14 have been using the pitch for training," he explained to The Irish News.

"For what I can only call sectarian bigots to vandalise this pitch is a total disgrace."

Astonishingly, Harold McKee of the UUP stopped short of condemning the vandalism.

"The Protestant community have a fear that if the Gaelic posts are up they will be up forever," he said.

Despite the attack, Ballymartin juvenile players have continued to train at the pitch, which is part of a site that also includes several soccer pitches.

A spokesman for the club said: "Ballymartin GAC are most disappointed at the recent intimidating actions of others, following the creation of a Gaelic pitch at the council-owned facility at Carginagh Road, Kilkeel.

"Ballymartin GAC trusts the council will continue to maintain the facilities to enable Gaelic games be played and appeal that everyone in the wider community affords our youth members the opportunity to enjoy their sport in a neutral environment."
Hardly "Slghtly on Topic", as you initially posted.

This thread is about a GAA club endorsing controversial/divisive Republican figures at a childrens' event (and the subsequent effect this might have on Unionist participation in GAA etc.)

Whereas your post is about the GAA suffering the effects of Loyalist sectarianism elsewhere.

Therefore unless you feel that there is some sort of causal link between the GAA's Republican posturing in Galbally and the subsequent Loyalist vandalism in Kilkeel, then you might be advised to delete this post (to prevent the thread being dragged off topic), especially since the Kilkeel incident is already being discussed here:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=21749.30

I'll delete it. Didn't realise it was being discussed elsewhere.

And by the way, it was 'slightly on topic' in terms of how our recent history shapes the actions of some sections of our society in relation to how they express themselves in relation to the GAA.

Olaf

Quote from: DownFanatic on June 14, 2012, 03:13:06 PM
Outrage as Union Jack is raised at GAA pitch
14 June 2012

Members of a GAA club in Co. Down awoke on Tuesday morning to discover vandals had wreaked havoc at a pitch that is used by their juvenile players.

A day after a Union Jack flag was tied to the top of one of the goalposts at the Newry and Mourne District Council pitch near Kilkeel, which is being used by Ballymartin GAA while their own pitch is being redeveloped, bigots used heavy cutting equipment to remove the metal uprights, which left the goal-frame looking like soccer goals. They also used a stencil to paint the word 'British' on the remainder of each post.

Sinn Fein Councillor Sean Doran has accused the vandals of trying to drive Catholics out of the area.

"It is exclusively used by juveniles. Over 50 children under the age of 14 have been using the pitch for training," he explained to The Irish News.

"For what I can only call sectarian bigots to vandalise this pitch is a total disgrace."

Astonishingly, Harold McKee of the UUP stopped short of condemning the vandalism.

"The Protestant community have a fear that if the Gaelic posts are up they will be up forever," he said.

Despite the attack, Ballymartin juvenile players have continued to train at the pitch, which is part of a site that also includes several soccer pitches.

A spokesman for the club said: "Ballymartin GAC are most disappointed at the recent intimidating actions of others, following the creation of a Gaelic pitch at the council-owned facility at Carginagh Road, Kilkeel.

"Ballymartin GAC trusts the council will continue to maintain the facilities to enable Gaelic games be played and appeal that everyone in the wider community affords our youth members the opportunity to enjoy their sport in a neutral environment."

What do they mean by the the last sentence (paricularly the part that is emboldened)?

Denn Forever

I assume they mean "neutral" in that they are community pitches serving soccer, rugby, GAA and owned by the council.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Franko

I see we still havent managed to reach out as far as Jim Allister who stated on Nolan this morning that the GAA was a 'recruiting ground for the IRA'.

That fat cnut Nolan let him away with it too.

LeoMc

Playing to the gallery remaining backwoodsmen. He knows that some DUP members will not be happy with Peter going to the Cooperation Ireland dinner yesterday.

Mr Robinson also paid tribute to the GAA.

"In the last few years Co-Operation Ireland has celebrated the role of rugby and football in peace-building and it is fitting that tonight we very publicly acknowledge the important role of the GAA.

"It is a testament to the progress that we have all made that tonight we can acknowledge the GAA's role in peace-building by inviting a first minister from the unionist tradition to the lectern.

Nally Stand

Worth remembering that while Robinson comes across as the moderate there, the blame for the bulk of loyalist violence this year lies squarely with Robinson and the DUP. They started the ball rolling on "the fleg"/alliance party and have stoked the flames and heartily excused the violence throughout.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 18, 2013, 01:12:11 PM
Worth remembering that while Robinson comes across as the moderate there, the blame for the bulk of loyalist violence this year lies squarely with Robinson and the DUP. They started the ball rolling on "the fleg"/alliance party and have stoked the flames and heartily excused the violence throughout.
100% and he will continue to do so if/when the cnuts start hitting Christmas trade again. Forked-tongued hoor.

deiseach

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 18, 2013, 01:18:31 PM
100% and he will continue to do so if/when the cnuts start hitting Christmas trade again. Forked-tongued hoor.

We can think all of those things and still give him a teeny bit of credit for last night, no?

Nally Stand

Quote from: deiseach on October 18, 2013, 01:19:56 PM

We can think all of those things and still give him a teeny bit of credit for last night, no?

Surely. A tiny bit of credit. Though I wouldn't dwell on it while he remains one of the biggest threats to peace and stability here. He is a deeply sectarian bigot ('imagine selling land to themmuns'), who in his desire to win back East Belfast from Alliance and in his pandering to the lowest by caving in to Jim Allister's every demand, is responsible (himself and his party) for the mayhem created by loyalists in the past twelve months. Never mind just about 'the fleg', but parades too was an area of contention which was stoked up by Robinson. He is the man who in the summer signed letter widely seen as encouraging loyalist bands to defy the PC ruling on Black Saturday parades and warning (threatening?) loyalist violence if they did not get their way.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

grounded

Quote from: deiseach on October 18, 2013, 01:19:56 PM

Fair enough, teeny bit of credit it is. However he is supposed to be first minister for ALL the population of NI whatever their race, religion, politics etc. What is the problem with attending a function for the biggest sporting organisation in his jurisdiction. It shouldn't be a big deal, probably not even newsworthy. After Allister's attack today, expect an ' I'm a better Unionist than you ' statement from the boul Peter as per the last time. with one hand giveth, the other taketh away.

T Fearon

Credit to Robinson indeed for this gesture, which is high risk, particularly with the backwoodsmen (not least in his own party) at his heels, and PUP pushing hard for votes in loyalists working class areas.

As for that little turd Allister, his wife is happy enough to sell land to Fermanagh gaels.

deiseach

Quote from: grounded on October 18, 2013, 01:59:01 PM
Fair enough, teeny bit of credit it is. However he is supposed to be first minister for ALL the population of NI whatever their race, religion, politics etc. What is the problem with attending a function for the biggest sporting organisation in his jurisdiction. It shouldn't be a big deal, probably not even newsworthy. After Allister's attack today, expect an ' I'm a better Unionist than you ' statement from the boul Peter as per the last time. with one hand giveth, the other taketh away.

Point taken.

Franko

Surprise surprise, there is no mention of this outburst on the BBC website yet we have them gleefully reporting this from Brolly;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24584058

GAA TV commentator Joe Brolly has said it is "nobody else's business" if GAA clubs or tournaments are named after dead republican paramilitaries.

Unionist politicians say the practice glorifies terrorism.

Mr Brolly said he was "proud" that a hurling club in his home town Dungiven was named after the INLA hunger striker Kevin Lynch, who was a club member.

"It's nobody else's business - it's as simple as that. People can either like it or lump it," he said.

"That's the way societies and communities work. Kevin played hurling for Dungiven and for Derry, and the hurling club was named for that reason. We're very proud of him."

The former Derry player was speaking after some unionists, including TUV leader Jim Allister, renewed criticism of the GAA following an appearance by First Minister Peter Robinson on Thursday at a Co-Operation Ireland dinner, organised to acknowledge the efforts of the GAA to forge better community relations.

Mr Brolly said concern about GAA club names was "just a sideshow" and it was "important" that Mr Robinson had attended the event.

"The GAA is working furiously at cross-community relations, as far as that's possible," he said.

"He's gone as far as he can go - he had to say the stuff about not being particularly content about clubs like Kevin Lynch's.

"The most important thing about last night's event was that he was there."

Mr Robinson paid tribute to the GAA in his speech on Thursday.

"In the last few years Co-Operation Ireland has celebrated the role of rugby and football in peace-building and it is fitting that tonight we very publicly acknowledge the important role of the GAA.

"It is a testament to the progress that we have all made that tonight we can acknowledge the GAA's role in peace-building by inviting a first minister from the unionist tradition to the lectern.

"Not so many years ago it would have been unimaginable that I would have been invited to speak at an event of this kind - or that I would have accepted.

"Thankfully the world has moved on. We are all on a journey. Although I think we each recognise that there is still some distance to travel.

"For my part I want to see my party reaching out further in the years to come and I am certain that the GAA leadership will want to do the same."

michaelg

Quote from: Franko on October 18, 2013, 03:20:29 PM
Surprise surprise, there is no mention of this outburst on the BBC website yet we have them gleefully reporting this from Brolly;

GAA TV commentator Joe Brolly has said it is "nobody else's business" if GAA clubs or tournaments are named after dead republican paramilitaries.

Mr Brolly said he was "proud" that a hurling club in his home town Dungiven was named after the INLA hunger striker Kevin Lynch, who was a club member.

"It's nobody else's business - it's as simple as that. People can either like it or lump it," he said.

"That's the way societies and communities work. Kevin played hurling for Dungiven and for Derry, and the hurling club was named for that reason. We're very proud of him."

The former Derry player was speaking after some unionists, including TUV leader Jim Allister, renewed criticism of the GAA following an appearance by First Minister Peter Robinson on Thursday at a Co-Operation Ireland dinner, organised to acknowledge the efforts of the GAA to forge better community relations.

Mr Brolly said concern about GAA club names was "just a sideshow" and it was "important" that Mr Robinson had attended the event.

"The GAA is working furiously at cross-community relations, as far as that's possible," he said.

"He's gone as far as he can go - he had to say the stuff about not being particularly content about clubs like Kevin Lynch's.

"Not so many years ago it would have been unimaginable that I would have been invited to speak at an event of this kind - or that I would have accepted.

"Thankfully the world has moved on. We are all on a journey. Although I think we each recognise that there is still some distance to travel.

"For my part I want to see my party reaching out further in the years to come and I am certain that the GAA leadership will want to do the same."
[/quote
Clearly that will not be terribly far if people like Brolly don't care if the names used by clubs are offensive to the people the GAA is trying to attract.

glens abu

Quote from: michaelg on October 18, 2013, 06:02:26 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 18, 2013, 03:20:29 PM

[/quote
Clearly that will not be terribly far if people like Brolly don't care if the names used by clubs are offensive to the people the GAA is trying to attract.

As Joe said like it or lump it,reach out yes but remember our dead the same way as every other country in the world.