GAA Outreach in Action...

Started by Evil Genius, June 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Yeah, everybody remembers those historic wins in the league, you'd swap those anytime for Sam... I'll go and get the baler out of the shed so you will have enough straw to grasp at, but while you're waiting you can iron some lovely creases into your blue shirt

Nally Stand

Quote from: red hander on June 09, 2012, 10:08:15 PM
HoW does it feel to bask in the freedom won for you by people considered 'murderous scum' and 'terrorist scum' by the people they wrested that freedom from? You display the same naivity your county displays every time they run out at Croke Park against Kerry

Ah you see the Old IRA were positively angelic you see  ::) Pay no heed to that Mayo clampit and his made-to-measure history.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

borderfox

1922 - The year Irish history began. Take it down from the mast and hang your heads in shame.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: armaghniac on June 09, 2012, 06:20:44 PM
QuoteSo it's okay to honour someone belonging to an organisation which beats and shoots children,

Are you saying that it is not appropriate to honour someone in such an organisation? Do you apply this to all sports? So it is necessary to remove all of those who fought in armies, navies or air forces to say nothing of the RUC or UDR?
That's what I'm saying. I'm not aware of anyone from the RUC or UDR being honoured by the GAA, nor of any sailors or airmen. The only 'military' people who seem to get a club / competition / named after them tend to be Irish republicans. Why is this? Why do GAA people feel the need to recognise those who belonged to an organisation which killed and maimed women and children on a regular basis?

(other sports I'll leave to other message boards)

supersarsfields

You went onto another thread discussing another sports and decided to comment about the GAA. So don't start giving out if this tread if it moves to other sports you hypocrite.

lynchbhoy

No issue with it if they were a good GAA person.

If there was any deserving polce or army person then there may be things named after them!
Obv there have been no worthy candidates up until now !

screenexile

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 10, 2012, 07:08:29 PM

If there was any deserving polce or army person then there may be things named after them!

I think it would be a great idea to have a tournament in dedication of Peadar Heffron. The work that man did in the PSNI for the GAA was unreal and I think he would deserve something named after him.

saffron sam2

Quote from: screenexile on June 11, 2012, 12:15:29 AM

I think it would be a great idea to have a tournament in dedication of Peadar Heffron. The work that man did in the PSNI for the GAA was unreal and I think he would deserve something named after him.

Yes, but most (all?) such tournaments are named posthumously.

I think that competitions named after the likes of Joe McKelvey and Sean Larkin are important to show what sort of a fcuk up of a place the Free State was (and still is).
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

orangeman

Screenexile has put a cat or two amongst the pigeons.

All very quiet here now.  :D

screenexile

Quote from: orangeman on June 11, 2012, 02:38:49 PM

Jesus! I forgot I had even typed that. I had a few beers in me at that stage!!

Maguire01

Quote from: screenexile on June 11, 2012, 12:15:29 AM

Sounds like a good idea alright, but as SS2 suggested, most dedications are posthumous. Any recognition of a member of police or army is also likely to be in relation to a police club/tournament.

orangeman

Quote from: screenexile on June 11, 2012, 03:07:44 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 11, 2012, 02:38:49 PM

Jesus! I forgot I had even typed that. I had a few beers in me at that stage!!

You mean you were full ?  :D

LeoMc

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 13, 2012, 02:42:33 AM

Actually threw the question in as I found out there was such a case. There's a trophy in Ulster named in honour of a person for their work in the GAA where a few years ago it was discovered they had once served in the British armed forces. This info is very low key though, and I'm not really in a position to say in public which trophy or competition it is for the sake of privacy.

Don't worry, the BBC & Tele will make it front page news.  ::)
Hope the medals are a bit more discreet.

camanchero

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 13, 2012, 02:42:33 AM

Actually threw the question in as I found out there was such a case. There's a trophy in Ulster named in honour of a person for their work in the GAA where a few years ago it was discovered they had once served in the British armed forces. This info is very low key though, and I'm not really in a position to say in public which trophy or competition it is for the sake of privacy.
thats good. Certainly I think so anyway. If a man (or woman) has given great service to the GAA then I cannot see how or why anyone would have a problem with it.

Evil Genius

Quote from: DownFanatic on June 14, 2012, 03:13:06 PM
Outrage as Union Jack is raised at GAA pitch
14 June 2012

Members of a GAA club in Co. Down awoke on Tuesday morning to discover vandals had wreaked havoc at a pitch that is used by their juvenile players.

A day after a Union Jack flag was tied to the top of one of the goalposts at the Newry and Mourne District Council pitch near Kilkeel, which is being used by Ballymartin GAA while their own pitch is being redeveloped, bigots used heavy cutting equipment to remove the metal uprights, which left the goal-frame looking like soccer goals. They also used a stencil to paint the word 'British' on the remainder of each post.

Sinn Fein Councillor Sean Doran has accused the vandals of trying to drive Catholics out of the area.

"It is exclusively used by juveniles. Over 50 children under the age of 14 have been using the pitch for training," he explained to The Irish News.

"For what I can only call sectarian bigots to vandalise this pitch is a total disgrace."

Astonishingly, Harold McKee of the UUP stopped short of condemning the vandalism.

"The Protestant community have a fear that if the Gaelic posts are up they will be up forever," he said.

Despite the attack, Ballymartin juvenile players have continued to train at the pitch, which is part of a site that also includes several soccer pitches.

A spokesman for the club said: "Ballymartin GAC are most disappointed at the recent intimidating actions of others, following the creation of a Gaelic pitch at the council-owned facility at Carginagh Road, Kilkeel.

"Ballymartin GAC trusts the council will continue to maintain the facilities to enable Gaelic games be played and appeal that everyone in the wider community affords our youth members the opportunity to enjoy their sport in a neutral environment."
Hardly "Slghtly on Topic", as you initially posted.

This thread is about a GAA club endorsing controversial/divisive Republican figures at a childrens' event (and the subsequent effect this might have on Unionist participation in GAA etc.)

Whereas your post is about the GAA suffering the effects of Loyalist sectarianism elsewhere.

Therefore unless you feel that there is some sort of causal link between the GAA's Republican posturing in Galbally and the subsequent Loyalist vandalism in Kilkeel, then you might be advised to delete this post (to prevent the thread being dragged off topic), especially since the Kilkeel incident is already being discussed here:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=21749.30

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"