GAA Outreach in Action...

Started by Evil Genius, June 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olly

For the gaelic to call one of their stands in Dublin after Hulk Hogan was an insult to men like Big Daddy who didn't put it on at all. John Cusack was brilliant in High Fidelity. His mother, Nancy Carolan, and da Dick are extremely proud.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Milltown Row2

I think if we want to start talking about renaming clubs and competitions that have bishops and priests named after them then we should start up a new thread.

I think the main part of the thread to date is whether it was a good call to have these medals handed out to the kids with a Republican on them? We have managed to get away off topic (as normally happens) so a simple poll with say if it was a good idea or bad.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

deiseach

Quote from: Ulick on June 06, 2012, 02:18:16 PM
If there's a community in Portadown that want to form Billy Wright's CLG or the Lily Windsor Stars then we should give them every assistance to get up and running but we don't interfere with the internal running of their club and competitions.

And if they want to fly the Butcher's Apron, we'll change the Clár Offiguil to "give them every assistance"

Ulick

Quote from: deiseach on June 06, 2012, 02:25:40 PM
And if they want to fly the Butcher's Apron, we'll change the Clár Offiguil to "give them every assistance"

There's nothing to prevent them flaying the Butcher's Apron or any other flag, so no need to change an Clár Offiguil.

armaghniac

QuoteGAA clubs will always reflect the community in which they are established and this is as true in Galbally as it is in Ballinalee.

This is true and why the matter is complex. However, the choice of a tournament with naff medals as a form of memorial brings other clubs and people from other places in the equation. It is not enough to say that this is not prohibited by rule, why does a GAA club seek to actively promote disagreement?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

deiseach

Quote from: Ulick on June 06, 2012, 02:29:57 PM

There's nothing to prevent them flaying the Butcher's Apron or any other flag, so no need to change an Clár Offiguil.

Quote1.8 National Flag and Anthem
(a) The National Flag should be flown at games in
accordance with protocol.
(b) Where the National Anthem precedes a game,
teams shall stand to attention, facing the Flag, in a
respectful manner.

So you really think this means a club can fly whatever flag they like?

Ulick

Quote from: deiseach on June 06, 2012, 02:35:00 PM
Quote from: Ulick on June 06, 2012, 02:29:57 PM

Quote1.8 National Flag and Anthem
(a) The National Flag should be flown at games in
accordance with protocol.
(b) Where the National Anthem precedes a game,
teams shall stand to attention, facing the Flag, in a
respectful manner.

Nothing in that preventing then from flying the Butcher's Apron.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: deiseach on June 06, 2012, 02:35:00 PM

When Roscommon played New York in Connacht championship a few years back, the star spangled banner was played and flown as well as Amhrán nabhFiann/Tricolour.  Never at Ruislip but somehow I doubt a similar protocol is in place.

/Jim.

deiseach

Quote from: Ulick on June 06, 2012, 02:41:07 PM

Tosh. Remember the old Rule 42?

QuoteGrounds controlled by Association units shall not be used or permitted to be used, for horse racing, greyhound racing, or for field games other than those sanctioned by Central Council

There was "nothing in that" to prevent Central Council from simply sanctioning soccer and rugby as sports that can be played in Association units. Yet they didn't because the custom and practice was well established. It is equally well established with respect to the Butcher's Apron, and for you to suggest otherwise is totally disingenuous

Ulick

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2012, 02:33:50 PM
QuoteGAA clubs will always reflect the community in which they are established and this is as true in Galbally as it is in Ballinalee.

This is true and why the matter is complex. However, the choice of a tournament with naff medals as a form of memorial brings other clubs and people from other places in the equation. It is not enough to say that this is not prohibited by rule, why does a GAA club seek to actively promote disagreement?

You and others may say they are actively promoting disagreement but the community in Galbally would probably disagree with you. They elected McCaughey to represent them, he played for their club and county and he was killed by foreign soldiers. If they choose to honour such a man with tacky medals then that's their choice and others should leave them to it. If the Tyrone County Board organise a similar tournament then others might be able to make a debate on this but as it is, other clubs and individuals had the option not to play in the tournament.

Ulick

Quote from: deiseach on June 06, 2012, 02:47:40 PM
Quote from: Ulick on June 06, 2012, 02:41:07 PM

Tosh. Remember the old Rule 42?

QuoteGrounds controlled by Association units shall not be used or permitted to be used, for horse racing, greyhound racing, or for field games other than those sanctioned by Central Council

There was "nothing in that" to prevent Central Council from simply sanctioning soccer and rugby as sports that can be played in Association units. Yet they didn't because the custom and practice was well established. It is equally well established with respect to the Butcher's Apron, and for you to suggest otherwise is totally disingenuous

deiseach, the only requirement is to fly the tricolour when protocol calls for it. There is nothing to stipulate what else can be flown. I've seen many different flags flown alongside the tricolour at matches including the stars and stripes in the US.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on June 06, 2012, 02:28:21 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 06, 2012, 02:24:07 PM
I think if we want to start talking about renaming clubs and competitions that have bishops and priests named after them then we should start up a new thread.

I think the main part of the thread to date is whether it was a good call to have these medals handed out to the kids with a Republican on them? We have managed to get away off topic (as normally happens) so a simple poll with say if it was a good idea or bad.
Do you oppose this?

I haven't opposed anything here, just asking if it was a good call or not. I've played and taken teams to many tournaments over the years, I only went to hurl or play football. It's only when you are older that you start to understand the politics of these things.

If a parent is opposed to what happened then she is allowed to question it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

deiseach

Quote from: Ulick on June 06, 2012, 02:54:16 PM
deiseach, the only requirement is to fly the tricolour when protocol calls for it. There is nothing to stipulate what else can be flown. I've seen many different flags flown alongside the tricolour at matches including the stars and stripes in the US.

Then why was there a necessity to change the rule book with respect to Rule 42? And what if your notional Billy Wright club refuses to fly the Tricolour?

theticklemister

Quote from: orangeman on June 05, 2012, 10:34:37 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 05, 2012, 10:31:35 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 05, 2012, 10:26:11 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 05, 2012, 08:18:59 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2012, 02:56:52 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound then. Pearse, Casement, Rossa, McDermotts, Wolfe Tones etc etc. Do away with the lot. You can't handpick which 'terrorists' you would like to include.
Actually, yes you can, people do and people will and for a good reason - they are entitled to disassociate themselves from those who take actions supposedly in their name, their belief or their views. For example, those that planted the car bomb which seen the murder of Ronan Kerr would likely see themselves in the same mould as those you list above yet almost everyone else whom aspires to a politically unified Ireland had reactions from distancing themselves to revulsion - including Sinn Fein, whom have a high proportion of their membership that didn't see the same tactics during the troubles to be as much of a problem. Same goes for the killing of Stephen Carroll and the two sappers at Massereene, seemingly unacceptable these days in the eyes of many prominent republicans not associated with dissident or fringe groups but would have been anything but during the 70's and 80's. Take a flip side to "themmuns" and Remembrance Sunday services - every year Loyalist paramilitaries carry out their own such services in which they remember their 'volunteers' whom lost their lives during the troubles putting them on the same level as those who have fought and died in the British armed forces. Most other unionists OTOH find this idea disgraceful, repulsed at the thought of the likes of George Seawright and Billy Wright being mentioned in the same service as like the fodder whom were sent into the human mincing machines in the trenches in World War I.

One thing about the likes of those whom were behind the Easter Rising is that first no one here is likely to have any living memory of when they were still alive, therefore their legacy is through their writings and recordings by others. It can be easy to romanticise when you don't be there in the moment but that's nothing anyone can do about here. In any case, at least they actually put their heads on the line alongside things like helping Gaelic cultural movements. It's dangerous to assume what those no longer with us would have thought about things beyond their death, but I would like to think that Clarke, Connolly, Pearse etc. would not have been too keen on the idea of proxy bombing.

One in, all in? Nope, it's not quite as simple as that. Michael Stone's epic fail getting stuck in a door at Stormont in 2006 while claiming to defend the union of the UK certainly doesn't mean that he is represents all northerner that regard themselves as unionists.

So no evil actions were committed back then ? Nothing on a par with what went on in the troubles ? Nothing ?
So you can't see the difference between acts 100 years ago and a couple of years ago - the deeds might be the same but I can't imagine many families are dealing with their losses 100 years ago, losses they would be reminded of every day if they had to drive past Billy Wright Memorial Park or Sean Kelly Park? I know you're not that dumb despite your best efforts to make yourself look that way.

I can indeed but do you have a suitable cut off date ?

Joining this thread a bit late here............... but to the above point, Republicanism has no cut off date mucker....... never will. Follow the beliefs never the leader.

theticklemister

Quote from: sheamy on June 06, 2012, 10:07:31 AM
Quote from: Bingo on June 06, 2012, 10:05:20 AM
Will one of the GAA clubs in Derry or Lurgan get some dissidents dressed in combat year and balaclava in for the next underage medal presentation?

saying that those pricks burn down GAA clubs in Derry City, I'd doubt it.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh................................................................................saying that the person 'supposedly' behind this was seen elsewhere at the time doesnt matter; sure don't let truth get in the way of a good story and all that craic.