GAA Outreach in Action...

Started by Evil Genius, June 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 06, 2012, 12:04:34 PMAlienating most of a province was hardly in the interests of the GAA.

Indeed.

orangeman

The issue of the medals and the complaint by the "mother" of one of the lads supposedly has served and is serving its purpose. There is now an open debate on the subject of medals, commemorations etc.

The GAA are very good at forcing change through but only when it suits them. The GAA is awash with politics - always has been. If the movers and shakers decide that it's time to get rid of the like of the Martin Mc Caughey tournament etc etc, then there'll be a vote at congress whenever, and Martin Mc Caughey etc will never be heard of again until someone decides it's ok to remember people like him in an "appropriate" way.

It's all part of the choreography.

sheamy

I'd pay money to watch the 'movers and shakers' head over to Galbally to tell them that  :D

When they're finished there they can head up to Dungiven to take the hurls off the 'Lynch's and take all the jerseys and tracksuits and hoodies with his name on it off the kids...then get rid of all the ex-prisoners who play a role in their club...

Now everyone just go and wise the fck up and enjoy this overcast but enjoyable Wednesday...

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 06, 2012, 12:30:30 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on June 06, 2012, 12:26:52 PM
Nally do you think these medals were a good idea?

While the GAA is happy to allow itself be used for political events, then as far as I am concerned, the medals are not an issue.

Do you think the GAA should allocate hundreds of thousands of euro to a community outreach programme to win over unionists to the GAA?

Do you not think that money is wasted while medals with pictures of IRA men are being handed out?

/Jim.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 06, 2012, 01:07:35 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 06, 2012, 12:30:30 PM

While the GAA is happy to allow itself be used for political events, then as far as I am concerned, the medals are not an issue.

Do you think the GAA should allocate hundreds of thousands of euro to a community outreach programme to win over unionists to the GAA?

Do you not think that money is wasted while medals with pictures of IRA men are being handed out?

/Jim.

If you are naive enough to believe a community outreach programme which you describe as being worth "hundreds of thousands of euros" is fatally compromised by medals at at U12 tournament in a small, near bottom of Division 2 club in rural Tyrone, then more fool you. I suspect that in a few days time, few people will be talking about this story. The programme meanwhile, will be ongoing.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

Quote from: hardstation on June 06, 2012, 01:17:09 PM
How do people feel about naming cups after priests, bishops, brothers etc or clubs named after saints or anything else to do with that "makey up bullshit" in the GAA?

Who referred to "makey up bullshit"?

saffron sam2

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 06, 2012, 11:49:29 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 06, 2012, 11:23:32 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 05, 2012, 06:50:41 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 05, 2012, 02:08:32 PM
From the same clowns who staged the hunger strike commemoration on GAA property a couple of years back. The fact that they're at the same sort of thing again shows the lack of will on the part of the GAA to deal with it.

Well that was at the Galbally Community Centre beside the GAA grounds but not part of the GAA club - as verified by a GAA investigation. But sure why let the truth get in the way of a good story eh!

Exactly, let's not.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13467.90

Look at the picture posted by Maguire01 in reply #92.

Wally.

People standing on the pitch :o Shocker!! The GAA carried out it's own investigation and was satisfied that the club had absolutely nothing to do with this occurance. But saying as we are all getting het up about politics and the GAA, and things like the Hunger Stike rally in Casement was such a touchy subject for some, I assume the same people were all disgusted at this event which couldn't have possibly been more political and took place on GAA property? Or is it only some political events which get blood boiling?

I suppose you were all on this board a few years back demanding action when FF held a selection convention in Portarlington GAA club (twice in the past decade actually)? Or when Tony Kileen was holding meetings in GAA property in County Clare? etc etc?

p.s.
Wally.
Classy fella  ::)

If you look really closely at the picture from Galbally, you might be able to see the goal posts moving.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

raff

QuoteNally do you think these medals were a good idea?

EC Unique, you'll be quare and annoyed to learn that your club won the tournament!

Nally Stand

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 06, 2012, 01:44:05 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 06, 2012, 11:49:29 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 05, 2012, 06:50:41 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 05, 2012, 02:08:32 PM
From the same clowns who staged the hunger strike commemoration on GAA property a couple of years back. The fact that they're at the same sort of thing again shows the lack of will on the part of the GAA to deal with it.

Well that was at the Galbally Community Centre beside the GAA grounds but not part of the GAA club - as verified by a GAA investigation. But sure why let the truth get in the way of a good story eh!

Exactly, let's not.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13467.90

Look at the picture posted by Maguire01 in reply #92.

Wally.

People standing on the pitch :o Shocker!! The GAA carried out it's own investigation and was satisfied that the club had absolutely nothing to do with this occurance. But saying as we are all getting het up about politics and the GAA, and things like the Hunger Stike rally in Casement was such a touchy subject for some, I assume the same people were all disgusted at this event which couldn't have possibly been more political and took place on GAA property? Or is it only some political events which get blood boiling?

I suppose you were all on this board a few years back demanding action when FF held a selection convention in Portarlington GAA club (twice in the past decade actually)? Or when Tony Kileen was holding meetings in GAA property in County Clare? etc etc?

p.s.
Wally.
Classy fella  ::)

If you look really closely at the picture from Galbally, you might be able to see the goal posts moving.

Goalposts moving? Try pointing out double standards.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Lar Naparka

Quote from: hardstation on June 06, 2012, 01:40:05 PM
I think that one was from mayogodhelpus.
Ah, Jaysus don't drag that fella into it. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sheamy

EC, your club ground is named after a cardinal who openly supported a fascist regime in Spain. An individual who helped rise a force of Irish blueshirts under O'Duffy (him of the Clones terrace) to go kill republicans in Spain, including men from Tyrone.

Jesus, give me the men from Galbally any day!

Cardinal Joseph MacRory: "There is no room any longer for any doubts as to the issue at stake in the Spanish conflict . . . It is a question of whether Spain will remain as she has been so long, a Christian and Catholic land, or a Bolshevist and anti-God one."

The same man who lends his name to the biggest schools GAA competition in Ulster. Did you hear the one about the bishop and the school boy?

The hypocrisy in all this would choke a horse.

orangeman

Quote from: sheamy on June 06, 2012, 01:53:27 PM

EC, your club ground is named after a cardinal who openly supported a fascist regime in Spain. An individual who rose a force of Irish blueshirts under O'Duffy (him of the Clones terrace) to go kill republicans in Spain, including men from Tyrone.

Jesus, give me the men from Galbally any day!

Cardinal Joseph MacRory: "There is no room any longer for any doubts as to the issue at stake in the Spanish conflict . . . It is a question of whether Spain will remain as she has been so long, a Christian and Catholic land, or a Bolshevist and anti-God one."

The same man who lends his name to the biggest schools GAA competition in Ulster. Did you hear the one about the bishop and the school boy?

The hypocrisy in all this would choke a horse.

+1

armaghniac

QuoteIf you are naive enough to believe a community outreach programme which you describe as being worth "hundreds of thousands of euros" is fatally compromised by medals at at U12 tournament in a small, near bottom of Division 2 club in rural Tyrone, then more fool you. I suspect that in a few days time, few people will be talking about this story. The programme meanwhile, will be ongoing.

This may not fatally compromise the outreach programme, but it damages it and units of the GAA should not be damaging their own organisation.

QuoteHow do people feel about naming cups after priests, bishops, brothers etc or clubs named after saints or anything else to do with that "makey up bullshit" in the GAA?

There are entire towns named after Saints all over Europe. That doesn't justify medals for GAA tournaments in the style of Catholic medals with picture of the the Blessed Virgin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nally Stand

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2012, 02:01:09 PM
QuoteIf you are naive enough to believe a community outreach programme which you describe as being worth "hundreds of thousands of euros" is fatally compromised by medals at at U12 tournament in a small, near bottom of Division 2 club in rural Tyrone, then more fool you. I suspect that in a few days time, few people will be talking about this story. The programme meanwhile, will be ongoing.

This may not fatally compromise the outreach programme, but it damages it and units of the GAA should not be damaging their own organisation.

So I assume you were opposed to the "royal" visit to Croke Park last year then?

Ulick

GAA clubs will always reflect the community in which they are established and this is as true in Galbally as it is in Ballinalee. If Galbally Pearse's think it's appropriate to honour Martin McCaughey with a tournament, then that's their business. They're not breaking any rules of the Association (as McCaughey is dead) so don't be squawking on here about "terrorists" when as has been pointed out, half the clubs in the country are named after "terrorists" of one sort or another.  If you want the Association to dictate to clubs who is a fit and proper person/"terrorist" then the rules will have to be changed via the usual processes. Good luck with that though. IMO there has to be tolerance shown in these matters. The community in Galbally obviously hold Martin McCaughey in very high esteem so it's not for us or the Association to question that. If there's a community in Portadown that want to form Billy Wright's CLG or the Lily Windsor Stars then we should give them every assistance to get up and running but we don't interfere with the internal running of their club and competitions.