GAA Outreach in Action...

Started by Evil Genius, June 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 05, 2012, 06:50:41 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 05, 2012, 02:08:32 PM
From the same clowns who staged the hunger strike commemoration on GAA property a couple of years back. The fact that they're at the same sort of thing again shows the lack of will on the part of the GAA to deal with it.

Well that was at the Galbally Community Centre beside the GAA grounds but not part of the GAA club - as verified by a GAA investigation. But sure why let the truth get in the way of a good story eh!

Exactly, let's not.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13467.90

Look at the picture posted by Maguire01 in reply #92.

Wally.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Lar Naparka

Handing out medals to u12 kids bearing a picture of a dead IRA activist was always going to provoke widespread controversy and those who did so were well aware of this.
In the lead-up to the GFA the overwhelming majority of people in this island proved they had no desire to prolong the Troubles and voted decisively for peace and reconciliation.
Does the right to freedom of expression take precedence over the rights of the overwhelming majority of Irish people?
IMO, it does not in this particular case.
An overriding consideration for me is that politics should be kept out of sport.
Another one is that children should not be exploited in any way for political ends.
If the organisers and their supporters want to honour the memory of Martin McCaughey, they should find more generally acceptable ways to do so.

What may or may not have happened in other places or at other times can be a matter for conjecture and debate in an appropriate arena but I am addressing what happened here.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

thebigfella

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 06, 2012, 11:23:32 AM
From the same clowns who staged the hunger strike commemoration on GAA property a couple of years back. The fact that they're at the same sort of thing again shows the lack of will on the part of the GAA to deal with it.

Well that was at the Galbally Community Centre beside the GAA grounds but not part of the GAA club - as verified by a GAA investigation. But sure why let the truth get in the way of a good story eh!

Exactly, let's not.

Wally.

;D

armaghniac

QuoteHanding out medals to u12 kids bearing a picture of a dead IRA activist was always going to provoke widespread controversy and those who did so were well aware of this.

This is the nub of the matter. This was not something designed to advance the GAA.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nally Stand

Exactly, let's not.

Wally.

People standing on the pitch :o Shocker!! The GAA carried out it's own investigation and was satisfied that the club had absolutely nothing to do with this occurance. But saying as we are all getting het up about politics and the GAA, and things like the Hunger Stike rally in Casement was such a touchy subject for some, I assume the same people were all disgusted at this event which couldn't have possibly been more political and took place on GAA property? Or is it only some political events which get blood boiling?

I suppose you were all on this board a few years back demanding action when FF held a selection convention in Portarlington GAA club (twice in the past decade actually)? Or when Tony Kileen was holding meetings in GAA property in County Clare? etc etc?

p.s.
Wally.
Classy fella  ::)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

QuoteI assume the same people were all disgusted at this event which couldn't have possibly been more political and took place on GAA property? Or is it only some political events which get blood boiling?

The issue here is whether the event is in the interests of the GAA generally, or whether a faction is acting in its own interest against the interests of the GAA generally.

Nally Stand

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2012, 11:55:02 AM
QuoteI assume the same people were all disgusted at this event which couldn't have possibly been more political and took place on GAA property? Or is it only some political events which get blood boiling?

The issue here is whether the event is in the interests of the GAA generally, or whether a faction is acting in its own interest against the interests of the GAA generally.

It seems to me that there was more anger at that visit to Croke Park than there curently is about medals at an U12 tournament in rural Tyrone. To my mind, that visit in Croke Park was very much a faction acting in it's own interests, who banned GAA reps from speaking their minds about it and in doing so, alienated most of the entire province of Ulster who refused to send reps to the event. Alienating most of a province was hardly in the interests of the GAA.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

trileacman

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 06, 2012, 12:04:34 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2012, 11:55:02 AM

It seems to me that there was more anger at that visit to Croke Park than there curently is about medals at an U12 tournament in rural Tyrone. To my mind, that visit in Croke Park was very much a faction acting in it's own interests, who banned GAA reps from speaking their minds about it and in doing so, alienated most of the entire province of Ulster who refused to send reps to the event. Alienating most of a province was hardly in the interests of the GAA.

So your solution is to reply in kind?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Nally Stand

Did this U12 medal alienate almost an entire province in the way that this visit did? My point is, if the GAA and GAA supporters and members are prepared to allow clubs to be named after political people and support political events like that particular visit to Croke Park (something far more divisive to the national organisation than an U12 medal in Galbally), then they cannot pick and choose which political events are "an outrage" and which are not, depending on whether the political event mirrors their own political views. In for a penny, in for a pound.

armaghniac

Quotethen they cannot pick and choose which political events are "an outrage" and which are not, depending on whether the political event mirrors their own political views. In for a penny, in for a pound.

The GAA is an organisation devoted to the national interest of Ireland. It absolutely must choose between things that are in the interest of Ireland and those that are not.

EC Unique

Nally do you think these medals were a good idea?

Nally Stand

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2012, 12:25:03 PM
Quotethen they cannot pick and choose which political events are "an outrage" and which are not, depending on whether the political event mirrors their own political views. In for a penny, in for a pound.

The GAA is an organisation devoted to the national interest of Ireland. It absolutely must choose between things that are in the interest of Ireland and those that are not.

And alienating most of Ulster and banning freedom of speech on the visit was in the national interest? And are you now advocating the use of the GAA for political purposes?

Nally Stand

Quote from: EC Unique on June 06, 2012, 12:26:52 PM

While the GAA is happy to allow itself be used for political events, then as far as I am concerned, the medals are not an issue.

EC Unique

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 06, 2012, 12:30:30 PM

While the GAA is happy to allow itself be used for political events, then as far as I am concerned, the medals are not an issue.
2 wrongs do not make a right.

Nally Stand

Quote from: EC Unique on June 06, 2012, 12:36:18 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 06, 2012, 12:30:30 PM

2 wrongs do not make a right.

No more than one wrong is right, but I'm sure plenty of the folks here giving off about medals were happy to see Her Majesty grace Croke Park with her presence.