Galway v Sligo -June 9th

Started by sligoman2, June 04, 2012, 04:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

FT Galway 0-15 Sligo 2-14 The good Sligo team turned up today if they play like that in the final they will also win it.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tubberman

Best display from Sligo in a long time I'd say. They look very good going forward, but they definitely need to move the ball quicker out of defence.
2-06 is some return by Marren.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

IolarCoisCuain

Anyone know who was doing the commentary on Mid-West? I only listened to a bit of it and he wasn't very good. Bhí Gearóidín Nic an Iomaire ar Raidió na Gaeltachta thar barr, mar is gnáth léi.

ross4life

First off well done Sligo superb win/performance i hope they go on and win Connacht now but it goes to show how poor we played v Galway.

Interesting Alan Mulholland first years in charge with the Galway minors,U-21s & seniors have all ended in Connacht semi final defeats. Would a Sligo v Mayo final be in McHale park?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

joemamas

Bonfires are already burning in Bellaghy to welcome Sligonian home.

Well done to Sligo, great performance. Tremendous full forward line, must have scored at least 2-10.

Will be some atmosphere for connaught final assuming Mayo make it.

Syferus

Beautiful play by Sligo. Kelly and Marren were superb, the midfield, the defence, the keeper, everyone. Make no mistake, this was prevented from being a total hammering by the ref giving almost every 50-50 call to Galway.

For Galway it exposes that Mulholland is no magic pill to return to the glory hunting days but he's an impressive manager and given time he'll get things right in the land of the Tribe.

For us it highlights just how abject our performance on May 20th really was. It's incredible to think Galway have joined us in the qualifiers before we even know who our next opponents are.

Assuming a Mayo win, will Sligo be home (the Hyde) or away for the final?

magpie seanie

Quote from: ross4life on June 09, 2012, 07:41:59 PM
First off well done Sligo superb win/performance i hope they go on and win Connacht now but it goes to show how poor we played v Galway.

Interesting Alan Mulholland first years in charge with the Galway minors,U-21s & seniors have all ended in Connacht semi final defeats. Would a Sligo v Mayo final be in McHale park?

Neutral venue when us or Leitrim involved so won't be McHale.

Excellent display and full credit to all involved.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 09, 2012, 07:39:44 PM
Anyone know who was doing the commentary on Mid-West? I only listened to a bit of it and he wasn't very good. Bhí Gearóidín Nic an Iomaire ar Raidió na Gaeltachta thar barr, mar is gnáth léi.

Paddy Henry. He was very sick I believe so he's lucky to be doing any. Fair dues to Sligo. They proved all pundits and myself wrong. Where to now for Galway?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 09, 2012, 07:45:15 PM

But Sligo v Mayo was in Markievicz in 2010, so is not our turn?

ross4life

Quote from: Tubberman on June 09, 2012, 07:47:00 PM

I'm not sure didn't Sligo play Mayo in Mchale park final before? a win for Leitrim would mean another Hyde park final  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tubberman

Quote from: ross4life on June 09, 2012, 07:51:55 PM

I'm not sure didn't Sligo play Mayo in Mchale park final before? a win for Leitrim would mean another Hyde park final  ;)

Played them in the Hyde in 97 final. I don't think we've played each other in a final since.

moysider

Yes. If we make final it is in McHale Park. Only neutral for a final if is Sligo s turn. And that is because of capacity.

baoithe

Quote from: Syferus on June 09, 2012, 07:45:06 PM
Beautiful play by Sligo. Kelly and Marren were superb, the midfield, the defence, the keeper, everyone. Make no mistake, this was prevented from being a total hammering by the ref giving almost every 50-50 call to Galway.
For Galway it exposes that Mulholland is no magic pill to return to the glory hunting days but he's an impressive manager and given time he'll get things right in the land of the Tribe.

For us it highlights just how abject our performance on May 20th really was. It's incredible to think Galway have joined us in the qualifiers before we even know who our next opponents are.

Assuming a Mayo win, will Sligo be home (the Hyde) or away for the final?

Agree 100% and fair play to you for acknowledging that.

Cosmo Kramer

Well done to Sligo, they've had Galways number more often than not in the last few years and showed that they can still produce big results when they need to and can get most of their best players on the field. Would EOH be likely to be back for the final, he could strengthen them even more?

Something was clearly wrong with the Galway v Ros QF when Bergin was being instrumental in a Galway win. We now know the answer to the 'were Galway really good or were Ros really bad question' and it is as I had thought at the time. I would suggest to those having a dig at John Maughan here that with a poorer overall bunch of players he had Roscommon in no worse a position than they are in now with somewhat better players managed by one of your own. And your man isnt getting a fraction of the abuse that John suffered at the time.

From a Mayo (and Leitrim) point of view today's result is a mixed bag really. Instead of having to play a resurgent Galway in the final the winners of our semi will have to play a resurgent Sligo instead. And they're clearly a much better team than Galway on today's showing. Can anyone clarify for definite the venue situation for a potential Mayo Sligo final? I was under the impression that such games always had to be played at neutral venues but is that definitely the case? I suppose the alternative argument would be that it's not our fault that Sligo's ground isn't big enough. Hopefully someone can clarify for definite either way.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

baoithe

Quote from: Mayo Mick on June 09, 2012, 08:49:51 AM
Galway will win handy enough 6+ points. Time to put up the Galway v Mayo Connacht final thread for some real discussion.

Halfwit.