Galway v Sligo -June 9th

Started by sligoman2, June 04, 2012, 04:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

He knows how to break down his ex-partner, anyways!

Duine Eile

Bloody hell that was painful, performance was absolutely terrible, it was plain to be seen in the first half Galway weren't on their game today, too much expected of Conroy today after his performance against Ros, sloppy passes and bad performances all round. Fair play to Sligo, fully deserving of their win though, played brilliantly today. Some of the stuff written in the Galway papers this week regarding the game were so far off the mark,take note Jim Carney!anyone know when this round of the qualifiers is due to be played?

emmetryan

Hi guys,

I've put together a tactics piece on today's game for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=5867
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

ross matt

Congratulations to Sligo on a well organised performance and well deserved win. Very sweet for Kevin Walsh who deserves great credit for getting them back to their 2010 form after having fallen back so much in 2011.

There are some very average players in that Galway side. They were made look exceptional by Roscommon who apart from playing badly also threw in the towel early on. To be fair to Mulholland he never got a chance to measure where they were championship wise that day in the Hyde and because of that today was set up nicely for Sligo. He is still a fine manager and they will recover be competitive in the qualifiers.

seafoid

Quote from: ross matt on June 09, 2012, 10:27:56 PM
Congratulations to Sligo on a well organised performance and well deserved win. Very sweet for Kevin Walsh who deserves great credit for getting them back to their 2010 form after having fallen back so much in 2011.

There are some very average players in that Galway side. They were made look exceptional by Roscommon who apart from playing badly also threw in the towel early on. To be fair to Mulholland he never got a chance to measure where they were championship wise that day in the Hyde and because of that today was set up nicely for Sligo. He is still a fine manager and they will recover be competitive in the qualifiers.
Walsh is a good manager and Sligo are a better team than their 2011 performances showed. It would be great if Sligo could win the Connacht title.   

ross matt

Quote from: seafoid on June 09, 2012, 10:34:48 PM
Quote from: ross matt on June 09, 2012, 10:27:56 PM

Walsh is a good manager and Sligo are a better team than their 2011 performances showed. It would be great if Sligo could win the Connacht title.

Would love to see them win it Seafoid but I just think Mayo are a very physical, well organised and experienced side. Think Sligo (based on today) will compete well with them but just feel they will come up short. Hope I'm wrong.

RandyDupree

Was this game live on tv at all?

If not, then would it have been if it hadn't of been for the sacar?

babarino

Is this the first team to buck the trend of lower division beating a team in a higher one?

Nothing at all against Galway, but as a 'neutral' was happy to see Sligo stick it up to them and take the win.

This was a game to restore faith in the  championship.

Shamrock Shore

Well done Sligo. I would have said Galway were a dead cert.

Jinxy

Some pass with the outside of the boot for the 2nd goal.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Cosmo Kramer

Moysider, I'm sure the 1997 game was in Hyde Park, it was the one we almost let slip having taken a commanding lead and Paul Durkan kept walking in front of Sheridan as he was taking frees without being penalised by the ref. We then went to Sligo for our next meeting in 2000 which makes me think that if it's a Mayo v Sligo final this time we'll be off to the Hyde for the second year in a row. Would obviously much prefer it to be in Castlebar though.

Duine Eile the second round of the qualifiers is down for Connacht final weekend, July 14th and 15th.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Syferus

Would be a great carrot for our minors if the finals are at the Hyde - how many minors teams get an opportunity to play back-to-back finals at home? Only a couple weeks left 'till Ros vs. Leitrim.

maigheo

the 1997 final was in Hyde park and also the 1975 final was in Markievicez park with the replay in Castlebar- memory a little off moysider.I am pretty sure this years final will be in Castlebar providing Mayo overcome the tough challenge from Leitrim.

maigheo

Quote from: emmetryan on June 09, 2012, 10:16:30 PM
Hi guys,

I've put together a tactics piece on today's game for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=5867
Excellent piece emmetryan.Maybe you could replace Brolly or Spillane on the sunday game.

SLIGONIAN

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Pretty much sums it up....
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"