Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

This is more for the benefit of Kildare fans than Longfordians, but it seems to be the most apt thread to put it on:

Eye witness match report from Longford v Kildare in the shield semi:

"Longford 0-9 Kildare 1-5

Longford had a man sent off in the first half.

Longford were desperate. Kildare were worse"

LaurelEye

Quote from: HoundThis is more for the benefit of Kildare fans than Longfordians, but it seems to be the most apt thread to put it on:

Eye witness match report from Longford v Kildare in the shield semi:

"Longford 0-9 Kildare 1-5

Longford had a man sent off in the first half.

Longford were desperate. Kildare were worse"

Unkind but not far off the mark.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

QuoteUnkind but not far off the mark.

Shamrock Shore Senior thought it was great, so there!   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots
QuoteUnkind but not far off the mark.
Shamrock Shore Senior thought it was great, so there! :P

Well, who am I to quibble? ;D

It was exciting in the way that Junior Championship matches between Mullinalaghta and Ballymore used to be exciting - a close-run thing and no clear idea of who was going to win until the end.

But the quality of football was largely sh1te. I thought Noel Farrell, David Barden, and the younger of our two County men were lively, though, and our fella got a nice point.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

QuoteO'Byrne Shield Final off this Sunday

As a mark of respect for the late Tommy Williams of the Clonguish GAA Club, The O'Byrne Shield Final between Longford and Athlone I.T. scheduled for this Sunday has been postponed and will now take place on Tuesday night next at the Longford Slashers grounds at 8pm. The Longford County Board meeting scheduled for Monday night next has also been deferred to Monday week, 5th February.

http://longfordgaa.ie/

Billys Boots

I see Brian Kavanagh was interviewed in Dubai in the Irish Times yesterday.  Apparently Podgie is allowing him to take some frees.   ;)

Shamrock Shore

500 paying punters are currently looking at Longford play Athlone IT in the Slashers in the O'Byrne Shield final.

Half time score Longford 1-06 Athlone IT 0-06

Longford's goal scored by Kevin Mulligan and Athlone now down to 14 when one their lads got 2 yellows.

Full time update:

Longford 2-10 Athlone 1-07

Longford become the first team in Leinster to retain the O'Byrne Shield and now sit proudly on the list of past winners

List of O'Byrne Shield winners are:

Longford 2
Dublin 0
Wexford 0
Laois 0
Louth 0
Westmeath 0
Meath 0
Carlow 0
Kildare 0
Kilkenny 0
Offaly 0
Wicklow 0

Oh - how proud we are!

Billys Boots

A first in a year to come of amazing achievements.  Did ye go SS?

Shamrock Shore

God no Billy. Are ya mad? I listened into the updates on Roscommonside on the web. It was 'Bog Music' night so I am a wee bit traumatised this morning. I know I would rank myself up there for sacrifice when it comes to Longford football but last night was almost too far.

Bonfires on Farnagh Hill still blazing.

Billys Boots

QuoteBonfires on Farnagh Hill still blazing.

Happily there's rain forecast.   :P

Laureleye/NL, did either of ye brave the elements?

North Longford

No but some of the lads got most of it before training.
Reckoned Athlone seemed the fitter of the 2 teams and were very eager.
Heard honourable mentions re Shane Mulligan, Diarmuid Masterson, Paul Barden and Noel Farrell.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots
QuoteBonfires on Farnagh Hill still blazing.

Happily there's rain forecast.   :P

Laureleye/NL, did either of ye brave the elements?

No. Thought about it but then found I had to go to a removal at 7.30 so I thought again. Seemed to be close enough before the Athlone IT guy (Galligan from Cavan) got the line for what was apparently a soft second yellow.

It's not really all that encouraging to hear that Athlone IT seemed to be the fitter and more eager team last night. Certainly against Kildare the previous week the skill level was poor enough. London on Sunday should be manageable, but then you have Monaghan away the following weekend, and points difference may be even more important this year than previously for all teams with the need to get into the top 4 and have a second chance in the Championship.

Billys Boots

Well I suppose the 3rd level teams are nearer to what they would consider to be their championship (Sigerson) so I'm not surprised about the fitness levels.  Could it be that Luke is doing the heavy training with them now, with a view to peaking later, and picking up in the second half of the League?

Big turnout for training NL?

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys BootsWell I suppose the 3rd level teams are nearer to what they would consider to be their championship (Sigerson) so I'm not surprised about the fitness levels.  Could it be that Luke is doing the heavy training with them now, with a view to peaking later, and picking up in the second half of the League?

As far as I know, they are doing the heavy lifting at the moment, but as someone said to me at the Kildare match: "You wouldn't think it was their third game playing together".

The problem this year is that every match matters more than in previous years because of the top 4-bottom 4 situation. Point difference is likely to be crucial. I'd expect Monaghan and Offaly to be the strong favourites for the top two positions, with ourselves, Roscommon, Leitrim and Clare scrapping it out for 3rd and 4th and escape from the Cooper Cup. I have to say that I feel uneasy at the moment - although I felt uneasy last year all the way until after the Dublin match.

North Longford

QuoteBig turnout for training NL?
30 plus last night ....so far so good.....Not as easy to get them out on a Sunday morning!