Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

Quote from: An GaeilgoirIs big Niall Sheridan back on the squad?

Officially yes, though he hasn't actually played yet due to injuries.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

North Longford

Jes lads I'm more and more intrigued but even more confused ???

Big Niall is back on the panel I believe.

Billys Boots

It's a loooooong story NL, ask the brother, or I will relate at the Cross some night.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Word from last night's County Board AGM is that all the Championship relegations have been undone, so the Windies, Cashel and even Ballymore :o get to stay Senior for another year. No idea yet as to how this one got pulled off.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

QuoteNo idea yet as to how this one got pulled off.

Someone must have been pulled off.   ::)

LaurelEye

Hastings Cup (Under-21)

Longford 2-8 Roscommon 4-11

Roscommon went through to the final of the Hastings Cup next weekend after a comfortable win over Longford in Pearse Park this afternoon. Roscommon went into an early 7-point lead before Longford managed to get back on level terms. However, the dismissal of midfielder Joe McCormack just before half-time for a straight red was to have long-term effects and even though Longford were only 2-5 to 3-4 behind at half-time and had the wind in the second half, Roscommon completely dominated the game from then on, with Longford's star forward Brian Kavanagh being tightly marked.

Longford team:

Cillian Burns (Killoe); Pádraig McGrath (Carrickedmond), Kevin Moran (Carrickedmond), Jody Connolly (Granard); Aidan Rowan (Cashel), Mark Duffy (Fr Manning Gaels), Peter Foy (Cashel); Joe McCormack (Killoe), Colm Flynn (Ballymahon); Seán McCormack (Killoe), Brian Kavanagh (Ardagh), Pádraig Berry (Abbeylara); Gerard Dennigan (Cashel), Colin Smith (Longford Slashers), Enda Gallagher (Fr Manning Gaels).

Subs: Diarmuid Masterson (Dromard) for Duffy, James Hanley (Rathcline) for Moran(?), Shane Doyle (Kenagh) for Smith.

LaurelEye

O'Byrne Shield Semi-Final

Longford 0-9 Kildare 1-5

Longford face the might of Athlone IT next weekend in their bid to retain the O'Byrne Shield, after beating Kildare in Pearse Park today in spite of having been reduced to 14 men after Liam Keenan got a second yellow card just before half time. The match was always close but the quality of passing and scoring was often poor and both teams would need to drastically improve in order to pose any challenge for League or Leinster honours this year.

Team: Damian Sheridan (Dromard, capt); Dermot Brady (Longford Slashers), Diarmuid Masterson (Dromard), Cathal Conefrey (Dromard); Declan (Cornadrung) Reilly (Colmcille), Enda Ledwith (Abbeylara), Shane Mulligan (Mullinalaghta, 0-1); Paul O'Hara (Killoe), Liam Keenan (Ardagh); Trevor Smullen (Ballymahon), Paul Barden (Clonguish), Kevin Mulligan (Mullinalaghta); Gary Murphy (Kenagh), Brian Kavanagh (Ardagh, 0-4, 3 frees), Padraic Davis (Fr Manning Gaels, 0-1).

Substitutions: Noel Farrell (Colmcille, 0-1) for Reilly, David Barden (Clonguish, 0-2) for Murphy, Pádraig Berry (Abbeylara) for Davis, David Hannify (Fr Manning Gaels) for O'Hara.

Other listed substitutes: Gerard Evans (Killashee), Peter Foy (Cashel), David Mitchell (Rochfortbridge), Kevin Smyth (Abbeylara), Francis McGee (Dromard), Seán McCormack (Killoe), Declan Farrell (Colmcille), David Blessington (Granard), Barry Gilleran (Longford Slashers), Arthur O'Connor (Abbeylara), Declan (Stouty) Reilly (Colmcille).

Shamrock Shore

It just gets better and better.

Retaining the O'Byrne Shield was probably top of Luke's agenda this year.

Rumours are that the final will be played under lights in Croker. Ticketbastard.ie expecting huge interest.

The more cynical will suggest it should be played under general anesthetic.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock ShoreIt just gets better and better.

Retaining the O'Byrne Shield was probably top of Luke's agenda this year.

Rumours are that the final will be played under lights in Croker. Ticketbastard.ie expecting huge interest.

The more cynical will suggest it should be played under general anesthetic.

Well, it'll be a bit of silver (except that it's made of wood).

The aim for this year, I believe, is to do well in Leinster. Things would need to improve dramatically on today's performance for that to happen, though some of the big names were obviously still suffering from injuries today. Paul Barden was well below his usual form.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots
QuoteNo idea yet as to how this one got pulled off.

Someone must have been pulled off. ::)

I believe some serious canvassing of the clubs was done by our esteemed County Chairman on the issue (remember which clubs were supposed to be going down).

The vote was 17 to 4 to get the relegations undone.

Mullinalaghta were one of the 4.

North Longford

One very interesting substitute introduced yesterday. Very welcome indeed!

Billys Boots

They should scrap the senior championship completely - Longford doesn't have what would be classed as a senior club in any other county.

Billys Boots

QuoteVery welcome indeed!

Ye reckon NL?  As welcome as the last time??

North Longford

Havin a bad morning Billy??
If he stays and trains then he can be of benefit....at least it's a start.

Bit rough on the old senior clubs there too. We're doing our best!!

Billys Boots

Sorry NL, I'd heard you got a new job alright.  ;)