Meed agin Wickla

Started by thejuice, May 16, 2012, 09:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

What sort of arseways training are they doing?
The players aren't fit and seem to get injured on a regular basis.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

navanman

D Gallagher
M Burke
K Reilly
S McAnarney
D Tobin
B Menton
S Kenny
C Gillespie
B Meade
A Forde
Mark Carroll
G Reilly
Brian Farrell
Big Joe
Cian Ward

Subs include Peadar Byrne, Juicy, C Lenehan, Harrington, Caoimhin King, Queeney,

4 debutants, some brave calls from Banty/Evans.

Sea The Stars

Goes to show how much some people know if they think Mark Carroll" is starting. Mark Collins is number 11, Damian Carroll is a substitute.

Collins is a real gem. A few weeks ago Giles made reference to this "talented newcomer" in his Examiner article. A few days later Geraghty used choice words when describing him in a newspaper interview. I knew he was close to the starting line-up after that. Any time I've seen Duleek/Bellowstown, Collins has stood out. He's got a huge engine but has a beautiful touch. With Bray out, he's the perfect replacement at 11.

In my opinion, it's a good team up until 12. My worry after that is the FF line. Anyone in Boardsmill for the challenge match against Westmeath will have seen Joe bag a brace of goals but in my opinion he never looked as slow as he did that day. It'll be route one tactics all day. Ward and Farrell hid in the Louth game when things were going wrong. If Wicklow get to grips with this early on, it could become embarrassing.

As for not being fit. That team up until 12 is a fit team. After that, I won't say we aren't fit, but we aren't always the hardest working. I'm hope Ward, Joe and Farrell up the work ethic on Sunday.

I think it'll be close results wise. Not confident either way to call it.

Sea The Stars

My opinion on the four debutants:
Donnacha Tobin - Missed last year's under 21 campaign due to injury and was overlooked by O'Rourke/Giles the year previous but has blossomed in the senior setup under Banty. A real hard worker with a good eye for an opportunity to get forward. Not the flashiest of wing-backs but he'll produce a honest performace at worst. Should he be starting? Definitely.
Conor Gillespie - Can't say I have ever remember him playing for Meath before his u21 days but since then, always been rated one of the top midfielders in the county. Worry is that it's taken a series of injuries for him to break into the squad. Even an underperforming Brian Meade helped his cause. I'm worried about him on Sunday. Should he be starting? Probably but only because we've so little else to choose from in this department.
Alan Forde - Another late blossomer. Was deemed not good enought to start for the u21s this year (under Harnan) but appears to have won Banty's confidence over. Main asset is his speed. I'd go as far as to say he's the quickest Gaelic Footballer in the county. Should he be starting? I think so - like Tobin, he'll produce a hard working, honest performance at worst.
Mark Collins - The above poster got his name wrong. I don't think there'll be too many get his name wrong in a year or two. A really gifted Gaelic Footballer. Not the tallest of players but makes up for a lack in height in speed and skill and eagle like vision. I hope he can justify the faith I have in him. I think he could be an important player for Meath in years to come. Should he be starting? Yes.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on May 23, 2012, 01:40:09 PM
Meath by six or more for me. The way some people go on you'd think Meath are the worst team in the country and we (Kildare) are All-Ireland contenders. So how come it took an injury-time point to separate the teams a couple of months ago?
I expect Meath to beat Wicklow well, destroy Carlow and come into the Leinster semi-final with confidence restored.

That would be my view on the game as well. Meath will win comfortably in the end imo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: thejuice on May 25, 2012, 10:02:44 AM
Televised?

Nil...................which is a shame as we have to witness tipp being cannon fodder for kerry  ::)

This will be a rasper of a game, cheeky fiver on the draw perhaps meath buckos  ;)

navanman

Quote from: Sea The Stars on May 24, 2012, 10:18:13 PM
Goes to show how much some people know if they think Mark Carroll" is starting. Mark Collins is number 11, Damian Carroll is a substitute.

Don't be such an arsehole. I made a mistake. I thought people would appreciate the team as soon as it came out. I'll put my knowledge of Meath football against anyone anyday, so forgive the mistake. 

thejuice

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 25, 2012, 10:19:26 AM
Quote from: thejuice on May 25, 2012, 10:02:44 AM
Televised?

Nil...................which is a shame as we have to witness tipp being cannon fodder for kerry  ::)

This will be a rasper of a game, cheeky fiver on the draw perhaps meath buckos  ;)

Meath 2/5 Wicklow

A draw 9/1

Collins 14/1 to score the first goal.  :-\
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

rrhf

We look forward to Meath fans waching this years games throught their fingers and regardless of the result here, I think  we all hope that the Banty project continues for another year or two.   Give it time lads...

Dinny Breen

Wicklow (SF v Meath): J Flynn; C Hyland, A McLoughlin, A Byrne; D Healy, M McLoughlin, S Kelly, J Stafford, R Finn, L Glynn, D O'Sullivan, D Hayden, T Hannon, S Furlong, J McGrath.
#newbridgeornowhere

Go home ref

Ah lads reality check time Meath will win this game and they will win by 5 or 6 points at least Wicklow are dung Kildare held them to 5 points last year and they'll thump Carlow in the next game and will be filled with confidence for the semi final

thejuice

Getting hammered by Louth wasn't 100 years ago.

I do feel we will be better than we showed in the league but we are vulnerable and any confidence could prove brittle if Wicklow get a strong start.

thejuice

Also, our midfield pairing of Gillespie and Meade haven't really proven themselves. Meade has had flashes of great play over the last few years.

thejuice

Wicklow 0-04
Meath 0-00

After 12 mins