The biggest and longest running gaelic games forum on the web

Started by Dinny Breen, May 14, 2012, 10:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stall the Bailer

I have been here since about 2001. I don't post that often, enjoy reading the posts.
Some of my favourites posts was the one describing Aussie Rules and Tony's hotel booking mishap.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: The Biff on May 16, 2012, 05:51:51 PM

There was also more Poetry in the old days.  Hardy and Gobshite had good offerings, and Seafoid too (I think) but my favourite was a contribution from Turk that I know I saved on an old computer somewhere.  Let's just say the very last word in it was "vomit".  Legends.

http://www.gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=15521.msg739738#msg739738

bcarrier

I think I was first on the board about 2000...heyday was probably up to about 2005 imo. You do get to a stage where you are all talked out though ...twitter seems to have finished a lot of boards.

QuoteStages in the IMBL - Internet Message Board Lifecycle

1. Start up with an elite clique of personal/email friends. Discussions are very tight.
2. New people join and discussion is strictly on-topic and helpful. Lots of good information is passed around. Message board is in its prime.
3. Newbies arrive and post questions that have been answered before or are stupid questions. Some old-timers are helpful, some flame.
4. Flame war erupts because of off-topic posts or personal insults. Different expectations create conflicts of interest that cause even more flames.
5. People post messages to the effect they are leaving, maybe hoping for sympathy. "And I'm taking my ball with me" They don't actually leave, though, and remain to read the responses to their goodbyes, some returning briefly to flame people. (Go to stage 4) People compete for the most heart-wrenching goodbye. Some people just leave with no goodbyes. Some of them are missed, some not.
6. Things quieten down and the flames stop. Old-timers appeal for calm(!). People who 'left' come back and begin discussions again. Go to stage 2
7. People leave to start their own message board, splitting membership of the original board. The two new boards go through a period of insulting each other and either go to stage 2, 4 or simply cease to exist through lack of subscribers

seafoid

Quote from: bcarrier on May 18, 2012, 12:55:05 PM
I think I was first on the board about 2000...heyday was probably up to about 2005 imo. You do get to a stage where you are all talked out though ...twitter seems to have finished a lot of boards.

QuoteStages in the IMBL - Internet Message Board Lifecycle

1. Start up with an elite clique of personal/email friends. Discussions are very tight.
2. New people join and discussion is strictly on-topic and helpful. Lots of good information is passed around. Message board is in its prime.
3. Newbies arrive and post questions that have been answered before or are stupid questions. Some old-timers are helpful, some flame.
4. Flame war erupts because of off-topic posts or personal insults. Different expectations create conflicts of interest that cause even more flames.
5. People post messages to the effect they are leaving, maybe hoping for sympathy. "And I'm taking my ball with me" They don't actually leave, though, and remain to read the responses to their goodbyes, some returning briefly to flame people. (Go to stage 4) People compete for the most heart-wrenching goodbye. Some people just leave with no goodbyes. Some of them are missed, some not.
6. Things quieten down and the flames stop. Old-timers appeal for calm(!). People who 'left' come back and begin discussions again. Go to stage 2
7. People leave to start their own message board, splitting membership of the original board. The two new boards go through a period of insulting each other and either go to stage 2, 4 or simply cease to exist through lack of subscribers
i think this one is different because the GAA season comes around every year without fail and there are so many stories
that continue from one season to the next . 
The guardian pulled the plug on all of their discussion boards but I think it was over a legal or a price issue rather than anything about running out of steam. Some boards are self renewing and i think this is one.

ONeill

We definitely don't make the effort any more. Maybe when we're in our 60s she'll take off again. Too many are off having weans.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Take Your Points on May 18, 2012, 11:31:05 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 18, 2012, 10:59:02 PM
We definitely don't make the effort any more. Maybe when we're in our 60s she'll take off again. Too many are off having weans.

That's the problem, most are now in their prime for tractor reversing but are too busy minding the childer, then when they get to their 60's they will be too arthritic to manage it!

Don't forget the welly throwing!!!