Ballaghaderreen - what is the gig?

Started by Aaron Boone, May 11, 2012, 10:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Quote from: ross4life on August 26, 2013, 11:59:07 PM
Quote from: spuds on August 26, 2013, 11:36:20 PM
Talked to John O'M. and everyone they spoke to was shouting for Mayo. Case closed.

What case may i ask?

Now take my own situation, my dad is Donegal man he got me into GAA the first game i went to was Donegal v Roscommon he wanted me to support them if i did i could have went on to play for them and as supporter i could have used us,we etc when talking about them plus i could have been in Croker last September celebrating the All Ireland success but.. at the end of day i would still be Roscommon person just like all those in Ballaghaderreen.
And those brought up living in Ballaghaderreen are proud Mayo GAA people.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Lar Naparka

< sigh>
The caterwauling has started again and I feel a yet another severe headache coming on...I really do. < /sigh>

The Rosquitos are buzzing all over the place again, howling about Ballagh and its refusal to drop its standards and to consort with barbarians.
For six long generations, the members of Ballgh GAA club have opted to maintain the link with their heritage and play their football with Mayo.
If a majority of its members wanted any anytime to switch allegiances to their woolly neighbours, they could have done so with a minimum of fuss.
But they haven't and they won't for at least 66 generations more.
Don't mind the bullsugar being shovelled onto on this board; a sizeable majority of the people in Ballagh and its hinterland want to keep the link with Mayo.
How else could the club field teams in the various grades from juvenile right up to senior?
One of the daftest posts from one of the daftest posters on this board maintained that Ross county council should stop paying community funds to the Ballagh club if it didn't switch allegiance forthwith.
In all parts of the civilised world, sport is regarded as being above politics but this apparently isn't the case in Roscommon.   
For a study in contrasts take the case of Ardnaree and compare it with Ballagh.

Ardnaree and its surrounding areas were transferred from Sligo to Mayo at the same time as Ballagh was annexed by Roscommon. The true Gaels of Ardnaree know which side of their bread is buttered and their ancestors knew it as well. They founded their own club, Ardnaree Sarsfields and affiliated with the Mayo board from the outset.
Ardnaree, home of the great Jinking Joe, plays football in Mayo. There's no sign whatever that the members want to move to anywhere else. Come to think of it, I haven't heard a complaint from anyone in Ardnaree about its transferral to Mayo.
Why should the people of Ballagh be forced, against their will, to play football in a God-forsaken land?
I wish the Rossies would go back to stealing each other's sheep and let decent people make up their own minds.

Now, Syf and the buck with chronic smileyitis, it's over to ye.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Fcuk off Lar. When the Ballagh patriots tried to set up their own club the Mayo Co Board opposed it and got their lackeys in Galway and the Smellies of Laythrum to stick their noses in and stop it.
Sligo Co Board to their eternal credit and the respect of Freedom loving people everywhere voted to let people have a choice.
When the Ballagh Rossies ( who live in the present not 1897 ) get their freedom to have their own club affiliated to the Co Board of their own County - then we'll stop "caterwaulin".
Down with Rhubarb Fascism
Freedom for the Ballaghrossies
Revive St John's
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sans pessimism

Quote from: Rossfan on August 27, 2013, 11:36:27 AM
Fcuj off Lar. When the Ballagh patriots tried to set up their own club the Mayo Co Board opposed it and got their lackeys in Galway and the Smellies of Laythrum to stick their noses in and stop it.
Sligo Co Board to their eternal credit and the respect of Freedom loving people everywhere voted to let people have a choice.
When the Ballagh Rossies ( who live in the present not 1897 ) get their freedom to have their own club affiliated to the Co Board of their own County - then we'll stop "caterwaulin".
Revive St John's

viva la revolution!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: sans pessimism on August 27, 2013, 08:07:07 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 27, 2013, 11:36:27 AM
Fcuj off Lar. When the Ballagh patriots tried to set up their own club the Mayo Co Board opposed it and got their lackeys in Galway and the Smellies of Laythrum to stick their noses in and stop it.
Revive St John's

viva la revolution!

This video reminds me of the Rossie pretenders and Ballagh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAa4xPkk2Pw
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Syferus

Quote from: spuds on August 27, 2013, 09:07:04 AM
Talked to John O'M. and everyone they spoke to was shouting for Mayo. Case closed.

What case may i ask?

Now take my own situation, my dad is Donegal man he got me into GAA the first game i went to was Donegal v Roscommon he wanted me to support them if i did i could have went on to play for them and as supporter i could have used us,we etc when talking about them plus i could have been in Croker last September celebrating the All Ireland success but.. at the end of day i would still be Roscommon person just like all those in Ballaghaderreen.

The most glorious sight on Earth is returning from Castlebar after a big victory (a regular occurrence these days) and seeing the 'Welcome to Roscommon' sign miles before I hit the fine town of Ballagh.

I could think I'm a Kerryman but it doesn't make it true 8)

ross4life

You say that like none in Ballagh are proud Roscommon GAA people?

The fact is some of the most proud Ros supporters are from Ballagh & when the big games comes along O'Hara coaches has no problem filling his buses with proud  rossies from Ballagh. Like Rossfan said a Ros club would have been set up in Ballagh decades ago if it wasn't for our lovely Leitrim,Galway neighbours.

So no case to be had & Lar can go on about his sheep,cats or whatever for as long as he likes. If  brought up living in Ballaghaderreen you are from Roscommon regardless of who you support or are proud of.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2013, 08:56:26 PM

What case may i ask?

The most glorious sight on Earth is returning from Castlebar after a big victory (a regular occurrence these days) and seeing the 'Welcome to Roscommon' sign miles before I hit the fine town of Ballagh.

You Rossies will always be in our shadow as long as you talk about big victories and not a senior inter-county team in sight.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on August 27, 2013, 09:10:07 PM
You say that like none in Ballagh are proud Roscommon GAA people?

The fact is some of the most proud Ros supporters are from Ballagh & when the big games comes along O'Hara coaches has no problem filling his buses with proud  rossies from Ballagh. Like Rossfan said a Ros club would have been set up in Ballagh decades ago if it wasn't for our lovely Leitrim,Galway neighbours.

So no case to be had & Lar can go on about his sheep,cats or whatever for as long as he likes. If  brought up living in Ballaghaderreen you are from Roscommon regardless of who you support or are proud of.

It would be interesting to check the parentage and great grandparents of those claiming to be Rossies and those who know they are Mayo. I hazard to suggest that the Rossies are interlopers.

neilthemac

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 27, 2013, 09:22:45 PM

What case may i ask?

You Rossies will always be in our shadow as long as you talk about big victories and not a senior inter-county team in sight.
and you wonder why we love the regular sight of ye driving back through the county, with yer tails between yer legs, after yet another defeat in Croke Park in September

cause some Mayo supporters are the cockiest shower of w**ks you are ever likely to meet

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: neilthemac on August 27, 2013, 09:30:25 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 27, 2013, 09:22:45 PM

What case may i ask?

and you wonder why we love the regular sight of ye driving back through the county, with yer tails between yer legs, after yet another defeat in Croke Park in September

cause some Mayo supporters are the cockiest shower of w**ks you are ever likely to meet

Last time your lot came back from Croke Park from a senior All-Ireland Final with your tails between your legs ye were driving these  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

ross4life

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 27, 2013, 09:24:37 PM
It would be interesting to check the parentage and great grandparents of those claiming to be Rossies and those who know they are Mayo. I hazard to suggest that the Rossies are interlopers.

Sure we could all check the our great grandparents and find some interesting answers i think i have one from Scotland myself. Ballagh is town in county Roscommon has been since the 1890s & it will remain that way.  I hazard to suggest that the rhubarbs are interlopers.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

I'm this close to buying a load of Roscommon flags and climbing the Ballagh clubhouse and gluing them to the roof.

Rossfan

Just do it Syfínín, just do it like a good ladeen.
We have to let them bucks know what County they are in.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mjg

BORN in ballagh, reared in ballagh, played for ballagh but a rossie till i die an wont apoligise for it,now go on an win sam an we will gladly accept small ears