Longford v Laois - Leinster SFC 20 May 2012

Started by Shamrock Shore, May 11, 2012, 09:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 15, 2012, 04:33:12 PMWho was at that awful game v Dublin in 198* (5 perhaps). Leinster Q/F or perhaps S/F  when we were 0-09 to 0-07 up 5 mins into the second half only to lose 4-15 to 0-09. I was there. Jesus, it was painful. That was the day Eamon Heery from the Dubs decided that Speedy's nads were fair game. tr**p.

Wasn't at it but that was the 88 Leinster semi

North Longford

Thats funny....in the course of work i recently met Eamonn Hearys aunt. A lovely lady. I told her that very story and she said it din't surprise her at all!!!

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Shamrock Shore

1988 - my goodness. Have we been in a Leinster semi final since. I doubt it.

Amazing NL that you recall Heary's actions that day. I thought I was the only one.

If there were Oscars for epic defeats we'd be shoo-ins. Epic in the sense of margin, not in the sense of close but no cigar.

I saw the Indo had the best Longford team of the past 50 years last Mon. No Mulligans from Mullinalaghta! Frank McNamee in ahead of Speedy????? Brian Kavanagh in as full forward????? Apart from those no real complaints. My boyhood hero Jackie Devine in there as was my Mechanical Drawing teacher Sean Donnelly.

Laoislad - don't play the poor mouth. Ye'll prob leave with a close win under the belt. Can I buy you a choc-ice there? I should be there with Boots and I am sure Laureleye, North Longford, Qwerty and The Insider will be close by.

Qwerty28

I'd prefer a tangle twister to a Choc Ice!!

First memory of a Longford match is that 88 semi final in Mullingar, a terrible hiding in the end!

Interesting piece on Off the ball this evening with Eugene McGee and Declan Rowley about the rise in Longford football in last 2 years, put a lot of it down to trainer and Glen being giving time to get to grips with set up in the county as a outsider as well as underage structures.

McGee summed out how important Sunday is as Longford have only 1 Leinster championship win in last 10 years...is that right? (Westmeath  in Pearse Park in 07?)

Shamrock Shore

Yep Qwerty - we've had a barren spell in Leinster. 1 win in 10 years is correct.

panc56

That Leinster semi was in Mullingar how times have changed. Brendan 'I have a dream' Hackett was in charge. The MC for the day announced about 10 minutes from the end that the gates were now open for the Longford supporters. I've never forgiven anyone from Westmeath since.
A decent team we had then but they were aging at the time. When they moved up the leagues, unlike this years team.
Sunday, we lost last year when we couldn't kick the ball over the bar, 9 points was an awful return.'Weather permitting and Pearse Park factor should see us hit 15 or thereabouts a tally that I can't see Laois making. Keep a clean sheet and another Croker day out against the yellow bellies on the June B/H. I'd really love to see this bunch of Laois players get beaten in Pearse Park.

The Boy Wonder

Last year was Justin McNulty's first year in charge of Laois - decent league (promotion) and poor championship. Relegated in league this year but will have benefitted from Div 1 football - not division 1 standard yet but they are honest and hardworking.

Longford have been improving steadily over past 2 years and will obviously feel they're good enough to win this one. Dublin were hard pressed to come out of Pearse Park with a win some years ago and Mayo fell there last year - they have no reason to fear Laois.

On recent form Longford look better equipped up front but I think Laois have the power, particularly around the middle third, to dominate possession and if they can make use of it I am confident they will come out on top.

Sorry Laoislad - I know I was supposed to say Longford by 7/8  ;)

Billys Boots

I'm not sure why people are predicting a Longford win - beating D3 opposition is no match for playing D1 football for the spring.  Laois in a close (and poor) one (again).
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: panc56 on May 15, 2012, 09:53:34 PM
That Leinster semi was in Mullingar how times have changed. Brendan 'I have a dream' Hackett was in charge. The MC for the day announced about 10 minutes from the end that the gates were now open for the Longford supporters. I've never forgiven anyone from Westmeath since.
A decent team we had then but they were aging at the time. When they moved up the leagues, unlike this years team.
Sunday, we lost last year when we couldn't kick the ball over the bar, 9 points was an awful return.'Weather permitting and Pearse Park factor should see us hit 15 or thereabouts a tally that I can't see Laois making. Keep a clean sheet and another Croker day out against the yellow bellies on the June B/H. I'd really love to see this bunch of Laois players get beaten in Pearse Park.

:D

It'll be a close one and home advantage might just shade it.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

seafoid

Shamrock Shore

For the paper of record it's sad they got their results stats wrong. We beat Westmeath in 2007 in Leinster  :P

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 16, 2012, 04:29:38 PM
For the paper of record it's sad they got their results stats wrong. We beat Westmeath in 2007 in Leinster  :P

The arse fell out of the property advertising market and I  think they cut a lot of journalist jobs as a result
but it was an interesting article anyway