Mayo - Championship 2012 news and views

Started by From the Bunker, May 03, 2012, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

What do Mayo need to do to build on last year and get into the AIF ? I was thinking about Mayo and Dublin over the last few years- they were around the same level back in 2006 and Dublin made it last year.
Mayo can do the same, surely . 

Zulu

Why? Dublin have since added some outstanding footballers to their squad while Mayo have probably list many of their best players from then. I like the look of mayo's defence for the first time in many years but midfield and the front 6 don't look like all Ireland winners to me. Remember too that while Mayo are progressing, so too are Ros and Galway while Dublin get stronger with each passing year. Until Mayo have 2 forwards that everyone would accept could make an Irish team they haven't a hope of winning Sam. At the moment only Andy Moran could even be considered but I'd doubt he'd make too many people's first 6.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Zulu on May 09, 2012, 12:54:50 PM
Why? Dublin have since added some outstanding footballers to their squad while Mayo have probably list many of their best players from then. I like the look of mayo's defence for the first time in many years but midfield and the front 6 don't look like all Ireland winners to me. Remember too that while Mayo are progressing, so too are Ros and Galway while Dublin get stronger with each passing year. Until Mayo have 2 forwards that everyone would accept could make an Irish team they haven't a hope of winning Sam. At the moment only Andy Moran could even be considered but I'd doubt he'd make too many people's first 6.

I agree with all of that.
The Mayo backs are as good as any in the land and Horan has a number of adequate replacements in the case of injury or loss of form.
Midfield has been a bit of a worry during the closing stages of the league but I'd put down most of the problems there to injuries rather than a lack of quality players.

Mayo, like most counties, has been jinxed by injury but the toll on midfielders has been extra high. The two O'Sheas, Ronan Mac, Pat Harte and Barry Moran are all either sidelined or struggling to regain form. (Even at that, I think I may have missed someone.)

If Aidan and Ronan were fit and in form for the start of the championship, I'd imagine they could hold their own with any pairing in the land. I don't think any of the others in good shape would let the side down either.
However, the lack of potency upfront is going to be the problem. Andy does seem to be the only one who is up to the standard required to win an All Ireland.
However, the situation here is somewhat like the problems at midfield. O'Connor and Freeman appear to be struggling with niggling injuries and both have shown they have genuine potential.
Indeed, looking through the list of potential forwards, it strikes me that the main problem is a lack of confidence rather than quality. We have plenty of lads who are good in a supporting role but don't have what it takes to step up to the plate when the going gets tough.
Look at Dublin in contrast.
Every one of the six Gilroy puts out and a few more in reserve is quite capable of turning it on. Same can be said of Kerry, Cork and a few others.
Mayo depends on Andy Moran.
I'm hoping for a better return from Mayo's attack this summer but I think we will still be a good way off the mark - for this season anyway.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Blowitupref

Bernard Brogan was Dublin's main scorer last summer, second top scorer was the goalkeeper? most Dubs were concerned about midfield but they got by. What they had was fitness,stamina better than others a well organized defence,good manager & the key ingredient of a bit of luck.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Zulu

Alan brogan was poty so there's your 2 forwards. On top of those you had diarmuid Connolly who is a top notch forward on his day and would be mayo's main scorer if he played for them. Dublin's footballing ability is very much underrated and in MDMc they have one of the better midfielders in the country. I agree with Lar, AOS and mcgarrity would be a match for most but Mayo don't have the scoring power upfront to beat the best.

Farrandeelin

That's it in a nutshell Zulu. We haven't the firepower up front to do damage. If Conroy scores early he's on song, if he shoots and misses he's not. Very much a confidence player.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Zulu on May 09, 2012, 04:30:39 PM
Alan brogan was poty so there's your 2 forwards. On top of those you had diarmuid Connolly who is a top notch forward on his day and would be mayo's main scorer if he played for them. Dublin's footballing ability is very much underrated and in MDMc they have one of the better midfielders in the country. I agree with Lar, AOS and mcgarrity would be a match for most but Mayo don't have the scoring power upfront to beat the best.
The job Alan Brogan does for Dublin isn't much different than the one Andy Moran does for Mayo.

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 09, 2012, 04:41:08 PM
That's it in a nutshell Zulu. We haven't the firepower up front to do damage. If Conroy scores early he's on song, if he shoots and misses he's not. Very much a confidence player.
Another Diarmuid Connolly?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Zulu

You can compare Andy with Alan but Mayo have nobody to compare with Bernard. Although I'd accept F'deelin's point re confidence forwards I don't agree that any of them have connolly's talent, which exceeds most players in the country IMO. Like I said until Mayo have at least 2 forwards that everyone would put down as potentially one of the best forwards in the country they won't win Sam. Cork, Kerry, Tyrone and Dublin all ticked that box as did Meath, Armagh and Galway before them. I think Mayo have some good forwards but no top class scoring forwards. COC and Freeman look the two most likely to develop into one but I'm not sure they ever will.

bucko

We're sort of back to a 1996-97 situation. In terms of positions, 1-7 are pretty much settled with decent cover on the bench and midfield is about AOS and who to partner with him. Up front is where the doubt is, Andy Moran and a fully fit CO'C are the only certain starters IMO, the rest of the positions are from Mort, Conroy, Freeman, Doherty, Varley, (possibly Kirby as a bolter for FF) in the FF line. We are very limited in options on the wings, McLoughlin, Dillon, Harte (if not in the middle), Kirby could fit in there, Campbell. Right now on current form, out of those names there is no stand out performer so Horan's task in selecting 10, 12, 13, and 14 ain't going to be straightforward. It's unfortunate that our best option at FF (Moran) is also our best option at CHF, and as things stand Aidan O'Shea is needed at midfield. Otherwise I would've liked to see AO'S at 11 and Andy at 14, if there were other options at midfield I think it'd give us alot of power and threat up through the middle, possibly making the selection of the wing/corner forward positions a bit easier.

seafoid

If it is a 96 type situation then Mayo will grow as the championship progresses. I think ye need a bit of luck to make the next step
and that confidence can do a lot to get forwards scoring. Nobody rated Galway in 98 either. It was a load of under 21s very few had heard of and a couple of older fellas. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2012, 10:11:57 PM
If it is a 96 type situation then Mayo will grow as the championship progresses. I think ye need a bit of luck to make the next step
and that confidence can do a lot to get forwards scoring. Nobody rated Galway in 98 either. It was a load of under 21s very few had heard of and a couple of older fellas.

Have to say Galway were rated in '98. Mayo were very strong at the time and when they beat them in the Connacht Championship, there was a feeling that they would be in with a shout. Especially as there was no back door.

stephenite

The point re Galway's load of U-21's needs clarification. A load of exceptional U-21's would be a more apt description. Michael Donnellan, Padraig Joyce, Derek Savage, Dec Meehan. All top drawer, once in a generation type of team

ross4life

seafoid you need to go back a few years. Galway weren't rated in 1995 remember the AI semi final v Tyrone? By 98 Galway football was on a high from the successful St. Jarlath's team that produced the likes of Michael Donnellan,Padraic Joyce & not forgetting Corofin whom won the AI that year.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on May 09, 2012, 10:52:56 PM
seafoid you need to go back a few years. Galway weren't rated in 1995 remember the AI semi final v Tyrone? By 98 Galway football was on a high from the successful St. Jarlath's team that produced the likes of Michael Donnellan,Padraic Joyce & not forgetting Corofin whom won the AI that year.

We were damn good that year too, Galway can take heart in knowing if we beat them they'll probably when the next two AIs back-to-back, such is the cycle.

This year is somewhat unique in that all four 'main' Connacht counties have good cases for making some noise. Hopefully more than one county makes it to the quarter-finals.

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 09, 2012, 02:42:41 PM

I agree with all of that.
The Mayo backs are as good as any in the land and Horan has a number of adequate replacements in the case of injury or loss of form.
Midfield has been a bit of a worry during the closing stages of the league but I'd put down most of the problems there to injuries rather than a lack of quality players.

Mayo, like most counties, has been jinxed by injury but the toll on midfielders has been extra high. The two O'Sheas, Ronan Mac, Pat Harte and Barry Moran are all either sidelined or struggling to regain form. (Even at that, I think I may have missed someone.)

If Aidan and Ronan were fit and in form for the start of the championship, I'd imagine they could hold their own with any pairing in the land. I don't think any of the others in good shape would let the side down either.
However, the lack of potency upfront is going to be the problem. Andy does seem to be the only one who is up to the standard required to win an All Ireland.
However, the situation here is somewhat like the problems at midfield. O'Connor and Freeman appear to be struggling with niggling injuries and both have shown they have genuine potential.
Indeed, looking through the list of potential forwards, it strikes me that the main problem is a lack of confidence rather than quality. We have plenty of lads who are good in a supporting role but don't have what it takes to step up to the plate when the going gets tough.
Look at Dublin in contrast.
Every one of the six Gilroy puts out and a few more in reserve is quite capable of turning it on. Same can be said of Kerry, Cork and a few others.
Mayo depends on Andy Moran.
I'm hoping for a better return from Mayo's attack this summer but I think we will still be a good way off the mark - for this season anyway.

Not disagreeing with you Lar but I remember a year ago Andy was being cynically labelled 'ever-present-Andy' by a few Mayo posters on here. Things change in football quite quickly. Whatever mark we make this year could be as good as we get for a while. The reality for us is that our best forwards are smaller men and that is not going to change any time soon. They re grand but teams now know they can be bullied.  And our attempts to play a big target man inside has been a disaster tbh.