Our GAA traditions

Started by theticklemister, April 24, 2012, 12:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Just after reading Paddy Heaney's excellent 'against the breeze' column in the Irish News and this week he was n about tradition. He states that things shuld nt change like the parade, amhrain na bhfain, umpire's clothing and such forth he goes onto slate things such as Hector OhEochagain's interviews during last years all-ireland when with all the noise ye couldn't hear ye speak to the ones beside ye and gain their opinion on the match.

Just wondering lads and lassies what tradtitions would ye keep or get rid of......................

seafoid

I would reinstate pitch invasions

Change the colours of some of the counties. Orange and maroon would be class for Galway.

theticklemister

Funny enough Paddy wanted pitch invasions to come back also; I would also agree!

orangeman

Quote from: theticklemister on April 24, 2012, 12:15:52 PM
Just after reading Paddy Heaney's excellent 'against the breeze' column in the Irish News and this week he was n about tradition. He states that things shuld nt change like the parade, amhrain na bhfain, umpire's clothing and such forth he goes onto slate things such as Hector OhEochagain's interviews during last years all-ireland when with all the noise ye couldn't hear ye speak to the ones beside ye and gain their opinion on the match.

Just wondering lads and lassies what tradtitions would ye keep or get rid of......................

Was he not on last year looking for this to go and be replaced by something like Ireland's call or something like that ?.

ballinaman

Keep the announcer in Croke Park anyways..."ssssssssssssssubstitution on the Mayo team."

sheamy

Ticket scanners should be replaced with biscuit tins...Paddy is dead right though. I was at the All-Ireland football final a couple of years ago and all the stuff that was introduced is wrecking it. The music when the teams comes out is shite...one of the best things used to be the roar of the crowd as the teams came out. Gone. I said this before, it's an overpaid marketing dept at Croke Park continually changing things to justify their existence. Some people call that innovation but Paddy's point is that Gaelic Games are unique in their tradition and customs and there's no need for the continued Amercianisation of the 'product' to use the marketing peoples terminology.

seafoid

Quote from: ballinaman on April 24, 2012, 02:01:26 PM
Keep the announcer in Croke Park anyways..."ssssssssssssssubstitution on the Mayo team."

Fógra

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Everyone outside Mayo (and many within) that Mayo will lose every game in Croke Park and when Mayo prove them wrong, everyone falling for the hype that they will win the next big game.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

AZOffaly

What about 'May we never have to say goodbye' by Tommy Flemming?

seafoid

I miss the furry and papier mache hats that were such a feature of the big match experience of the early 80s.

Hardy

That's the first time I ever saw the term 'papier mache' used in GAA circumstances.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Declaring Galway are a great football team with great forwards and forgetting they haven't won in Croke Park since the ice age.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Denn Forever

Quote from: seafoid on April 24, 2012, 03:07:25 PM
I miss the furry and papier mache hats that were such a feature of the big match experience of the early 80s.

Do you mean the Crepe paper hats with the semi circular peaks?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

red n black

miss the old hill with flags waving during parade on all Ireland final

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on April 24, 2012, 03:09:37 PM
That's the first time I ever saw the term 'papier mache' used in GAA circumstances.

The Meath backs are papier mache, Hardy
Easy to pronounce with that anglo norman accent especially the r