Maigh Eo Vs Corcaigh, 29ú Aibreáin 2012 @ 1600, Pairc an Chrocaigh

Started by macdanger2, April 23, 2012, 05:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2012, 01:38:19 PM
If Mayo meet Cork in the championship they need to lay down a marker from the start.
One in all in.

A Meaths Man dream Cork and Mayo Bating the life outta each other!  ;D

moysider

If Mayo meet Cork in the championship they need to lay down a marker from the start.
One in all in.

You re a gas man altogether for rippin the piss and windin people up :D Last time we did that it cost us an AI final, as you well know.

eviemonkey

One in all in.

That line of thinking works well in Meath, comes from years of experience.  :)

But us gullible souls in Cork and Mayo usually get it all wrong when it comes to laying down a marker.

Mayo probably lost an All Ireland in 1996 by losing their heads too early and Cork probably lost another in 2009 by not losing their heads at the same time Nicholas Murphy nearly lost his.

Farrandeelin

Please point out where my delusion is Chris agus Snoop like a good ladeen.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

Quote from: moysider on May 01, 2012, 02:30:54 PM
One in all in.

You re a gas man altogether for rippin the piss and windin people up :D Last time we did that it cost us an AI final, as you well know.

You're very cynical moysider.
That's the last time I'll give you Mayo lads helpful advice.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

criostlinn

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on May 01, 2012, 01:01:06 PM
Sad to read how deluded mayo people are on here, last summer mayo bullied cork with every nasty trick in the book the ref was one of those "let it flow" types, cork did not expect  such a battle and were unprepared and wilted as the game went on, this time cork played in the mayo stlye and how did mayo respond? By diving in such a numerous and pathetic manner that I have never before seen at a GAA match and never hope to see again. This "physical toughness" is all we are hearing from Mayo for the last year but it only works if the opposition are willing to lie down and allow themselves to walked over, when they stand up to Mayo they have nothing, and that diving lark won't con anyone anymore after the dreadful show ye made of yourslves last sunday.
Phony tough guys.

Is this post for real. "Mayo  bullied cork with every nasty trick in the book". Brilliant. Please enlighten me as to what these nasty tricks are. Are you seriously saying the big bad boys from Mayo bullied poor Noel O'Leary and Pierce O Neill in last years quarter final and had to change their game for Sunday to stand up to this. Cork have now adopted the Mayo style of play and Mayo cant hack it. Are you for real.

"Diving in such numerous and pathetic manner". Apart from the Vaughan incident have you anymore examples.

"I have never before seen at a GAA match and never hope to see again"   Really. Never before. How long have you been following football.

Im not going to condone what Vaughan did but lets be fair. Donal Vaughan was kicked, pushed and wrestled all around Croke park the last day. He took a nasty blow from two cork players in the first half. He then had to put up with a big ape trying to pull him of the ground. Graham Canty also had a go at him but came out second best. He does not put himself out there as a hard man as some here are trying to claim and is in fact one of the most honest, least cynical players you are likely to see.  Vaughan went down after contact was made three times. He got straight up again and obviously realised he was wrong in what he did.

But Joe Brolly has decided that he should be humiliated for this. This to Joe was the the highlight of the match. No mention of what  Vaughan had to endure throughout the game but this one incident was worthy of humiliation. If Joe spent less time enjoying the RTE hospitality and more time watching the game he is paid to watch,  we might get better analysis and the fools that listen on this mans every word so they can talk shite about a match they know nothing about might start looking less stupid.

Have a look at these two clips and tell me again that you "have never before seen at a GAA match and never hope to see again"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHuU3EdJ1NQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwmErywscOc

One of these was against your team, Surely you seen it.

Oh by the way, Mark Collins was sent off in Castlebar for striking of the ball. Simple as that. If you didnt see it why are you making stuff up.

As for the game. Although I was disappointed with the loss. I think it will stand to Mayo a lot more then a victory would have. Some of the younger lads will have learned a lot from Sunday and considering we had such an understrength team out I can see big improvements come the championship.

Everyone was writing off the Dubs after last years league final and see what happened later in the year.

Lar Naparka

Losing is never easy to take but as a long-suffering Mayo man I'm not too despondent about Sunday's result.
Given the weather conditions, Mayo were always going to be at a disadvantage. The team lacked the height and heft to mix it with the langers.
I'd agree with the general consensus that the better team won but I'd add that the final score flattered them.
Cork's second goal came against the run of play, due to yet another error by the referee. It came at a vital stage of the game when Mayo were starting to make a comeback and it ended the game as a contest.
Those things happen all the time and can't be legislated for. But it's conceivable that if Keegan had at least won a close in free the margin would have clipped to the minimum and Mayo's upsurge could well have continued.
Who knows and at this stage, who cares?
I think James Horan and his players will get on with the job in hand and gear up for the championship with plenty of positives accumulated during the league run.
But midfield is an area that needs remedial attention fast and the attack depends heavily on Andy Moran to lead the way. I honestly didn't see another potential leader amongst the other forwards on show.
By contrast Cork had six on duty who had to be watched carefully fro beginning to end. Every one of them buckos is a class act.  I think we have a few good lads who may well develop into great ones but their time has not yet come.

Mayo to make the final eight and Cork to make it to the final and quite possibly win it.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

bucko

Have to agree with Lar, I'd be looking at Sunday in a glass half full kind of way. Cork had a full hand to pick from on Sunday and had close to their first 15 on the pitch while we had a 2nd or third choice midfield on the pitch and no established FF. Weather had to have played a part with that wind blowing into the Canal End. Mayo won the first half with the wind and Cork won the 2nd. Playing against Cork is going to take it out of you physically on a good day, never mind in a gale and rain. Cork set out their stall with an overly physical and cynical approach and the ref obliged them. We mightn't have liked it but they were wily enough to see they were getting away with it, that it was working for them and they stuck with it. They have a lot of experience on that team now with league and All Ireland medals where whereas 7 of our team were in their early twenties and only in their second year of senior football. Even after that, if we'd had a bit more luck and  made a few less errors we could have come away with the win. If players and management learn the lessons from Sunday and we get our injuries sorted, I'd be optimistic of a long summer.

ross4life

Out of interest of the Mayo team that started last Sunday are in the ones in bold not in their mid to late 20s?

D Clarke, K Keane, G Caferkey, K Higgins, L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle, B Moran, J Gibbons, K McLoughlin, A Moran, A Dillon, C Mortimer, C O'Connor, M Conroy.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

bucko

Quote from: ross4life on May 02, 2012, 06:39:01 PM
Out of interest of the Mayo team that started last Sunday are in the ones in bold not in their mid to late 20s?

D Clarke, K Keane, G Caferkey, K Higgins, L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle, B Moran, J Gibbons, K McLoughlin, A Moran, A Dillon, C Mortimer, C O'Connor, M Conroy.

Apologies, counted wrong, you're right.

marym

Cork were missing Ciaran Sheehan and Goulding only played for about 10 mins

bucko

Quote from: bucko on May 02, 2012, 05:16:35 PM
Have to agree with Lar, I'd be looking at Sunday in a glass half full kind of way. Cork had a full hand to pick from on Sunday and had close to their first 15 on the pitch while we had a 2nd or third choice midfield on the pitch and no established FF.

rosnarun

Quote from: bucko on May 03, 2012, 12:22:23 AM
Quote from: bucko on May 02, 2012, 05:16:35 PM
Have to agree with Lar, I'd be looking at Sunday in a glass half full kind of way. Cork had a full hand to pick from on Sunday and had close to their first 15 on the pitch while we had a 2nd or third choice midfield on the pitch and no established FF.
I reckon mayo finished  thr match with their 6th and 7th choice midfileders harte and Geraghty
o se x 2 mc garrity b moran and Gibbons  would be first in line
Full forward is a weaker argument seeing as its now approaching 40 years since Mayo have had an established FF
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

James Nallen,David Heaney,Trevor Mortimer and Ciaran McDonald four recently retired players Mayo haven't replaced.