Maigh Eo Vs Corcaigh, 29ú Aibreáin 2012 @ 1600, Pairc an Chrocaigh

Started by macdanger2, April 23, 2012, 05:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Syferus on April 25, 2012, 11:40:10 AM

They've certainly earnt it, they've been one of the most consistently successful and competitive teams in the championship for verging on half a decade. We're talking about teams in the chasing pack behind the last three AI winners, Kerry, Cork and Dublin. It's clear as day that those teams are Mayo, Tyrone, Kildare and Donegal, likely in that order.

Agree 100% with what's written above and maybe because of the continuity with keeping Micky Harte I wouldn't bet against Tyrone moving from a team in transition in the chasing pack into to real contenders again sooner rather than later although it'd be some turn around in 1 season.

Farrandeelin

Back to the game on Sunday, I know I've been critical of Pat Harte, but after seen him the last day against Kerry - hopefully he isn't too badly injured as he did well. I'd be inclined to go with moysider's option and have him as an extra man in the middle, with Andy roaming between 14 and 11 if needed. If we can win the majority of breaking ball around the middle we are in with a shout, I know Cork will have learned from last October, but hopefully we will have learned from the earlier encounter this year as to what to do with Kerrigan and the likes.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Put Higgins on Kerrigan and tell him to attack at will.

When Tomás O Sé attacked in 2009 final Kerrigan looked lost. O Sé got a few scores and was easily man of the match but RTE gave it to..... was it Tommy Walsh? Kerrigan, on the other hand , was rescued by being hauled ashore long before the end. In fact it has taken him some time to recover from that one.

I wouldn t mind Higgins being out of the corner and he did well on Kerrigan last year.

macdanger2

I'd like to see Mayo (forwards especially) move the ball a lot quicker - we have an awful tendancy to receive the ball, take a solo (which gives the defender an extra second to get back) and then decide what to do with it where players should receive the ball, decide what to do with it and then pass / solo / shoot. Mort is desperate for it.

Farrandeelin

I thought the team was to be announced tonight. Ah wel, no harm in keeping us guessing I suppose.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 25, 2012, 11:29:37 PM
I thought the team was to be announced tonight. Ah wel, no harm in keeping us guessing I suppose.

I don t think there is much doubt about the team. Barring injuries it will be the same team almost. Barry Moran and Doherty are the only ones that may not start. I believe 13 positions are nailed down for now. Injuries are delaying the jigsaw being complete at this stage.

neilthemac

strange to see a proud Roscommon man captaining Mayo
fair play Andy

Farrandeelin

Lar Naparka

I'm a bit concerned by the number of Mayo players who are out injured or are returning from same. I've no doubt that other counties have similar injury problems as well.
Maybe it's time for the GAA and the public at large to stop and take notice.
It could be a matter of players having too many games; training and fitness regimes being too extreme or the increased physicality that is coming into the game but the inescapable fact is that a worrying number of players are being sidelined through injury.
Mayo are missing the two O'Sheas, Alan Freeman and Cillian O'Connor and, AFAIK, Tom Cunniffe and Trevor Howley.
Throw in Ronan McGarrity also and there's probably a few others I am missing.
Pat Harte and Barry Moran are nowhere back to their best and Conoreen is only finding his feet again after a very long lay off.
All of the lads who are out would be positive addition to the panel for sure but there's their long term future as well to consider.
Many if not all will be hampered by injuries long after their playing careers are over.
I don't really have any remedy for this growing problem. But I think the mindset of GAA people needs to change as the win at all costs mentality is causing serious problems for the players who are only amateurs after all.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Cosmo Kramer

Thankfully Andy has gone on the record time and again in recent years and left none of us in any doubt as to which county his allegiances lie with. Almost every interview with him seems to include a reference to him being a 'proud Mayo man' suggesting that he's hell bent on stamping out any Rossie suggestion to the contrary. He's an ideal choice as our captain and I'm sure he will lead by example all year.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Syferus

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on April 26, 2012, 11:55:23 AM
Thankfully Andy has gone on the record time and again in recent years and left none of us in any doubt as to which county his allegiances lie with. Almost every interview with him seems to include a reference to him being a 'proud Mayo man' suggesting that he's hell bent on stamping out any Rossie suggestion to the contrary. He's an ideal choice as our captain and I'm sure he will lead by example all year.

Sadly the cert and place of resistence for most of his life says differently!  ;)

It's all relative too, he represented Roscommon at soccer, playing with current Roscommon Messi Michael Finneran, sure if we could ever get Ming on the scent of Ballagh GAA there's hope yet.. I hear he's merciless on this sort of thing.

Farrandeelin

Messi I'm sure would be HIGHLY insulted with having his name beside M. Finneran.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 26, 2012, 04:34:26 PM
Messi I'm sure would be HIGHLY insulted with having his name beside M. Finneran.

Messi shouldn't be going on about any sort of height. Mike on the other hand..

Captain Obvious

A Roscommon man captain of Mayo that's like a Armagh man captain of Tyrone  ;D

emmetryan

I've put together a tactical preview of the Division 1 final here for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=5731
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com