@Steven McDonnell tweets a retirement announcement!

Started by muppet, April 12, 2012, 08:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

It was a hard one to take.  We were the better team that day, though Tyrone were the better side in the 2 Ulster final games.  Armagh played some great football in 2005  from the final stages of the league through to the semi final.  Our big problem in the semi final was the amount of scoreable chances missed. Loads of possession from kickouts but we couldn't put the ball over the bar. The likes of Brian Mallon, Ronan Clarke, Aaron Kernan all missed scoreable points early or half way through the second half. If even a couple of those were taken we wouldn't have had to worry about a dodgy call for a free in the last minute (from memory it  was the only call time in the game the ref made a call for a jersey tug).

Personally i feel gutted at McDonnell retiring, far worse for some reason that i did when the likes of McGeeney, Marsden, McConville went. He's given great service to the county and given the supporters some life long memories.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Orchardman

It's true, i was at all 3 games in croke park in 2005. Tyrone cleaned us the first day in the ulster final, and things really got out of hand in the reply, though it was great the way we finished the game.

But the semi-final, we really did have it, would loved to have seen how we would have done against kerry in a 2005 final, they very well may have beaten us. We were flying that year, remember the league semi against mayo and the final against wexford, stevie was playing some of his best football at that time.

Armamike

I'm not too sure if we would have beaten Kerry had we got over Tyrone. Tyrone pulled off a great performance to beat them and it needed a great performance to beat that Kerry side.

How the f*** did Fermanagh beat us in 04?
That's just, like your opinion man.

Redhand Santa

In the 3 matches that year I do feel Armagh played their best football in the semi final. Though I don't agree with a lot of people that they were the better team that day. Tyrone lead for most of the match, Armagh were only briefly in front after the goal and Tyrone showed great character to come back and win the game. Tyrone scored 3 points quite quickly in the second half and looked to be pulling away before the referee gave Armagh 2 or 3 very soft free's which kept them in it. Still it was a great year for football and a great rivalry. Think this years championship match in the Athletic Grounds could be a special one to.

Orangemac

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 18, 2012, 09:41:54 PM
In the 3 matches that year I do feel Armagh played their best football in the semi final. Though I don't agree with a lot of people that they were the better team that day. Tyrone lead for most of the match, Armagh were only briefly in front after the goal and Tyrone showed great character to come back and win the game. Tyrone scored 3 points quite quickly in the second half and looked to be pulling away before the referee gave Armagh 2 or 3 very soft free's which kept them in it. Still it was a great year for football and a great rivalry. Think this years championship match in the Athletic Grounds could be a special one to.
Armagh went 2 in front when Clarke scored after a turnover with about 6 mins to go. It was the soft penalty that kept Tyrone in the game for long spells (not the foul for the penalty but Mulligan fouling in the lead up to it).

Would have to agree that 2005 was a great year for football. Not just the Armagh Tyrone games but the Dublin v Tyrone games, the final itself etc.Hard to believe it is 7 years ago.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Its a little disappointing when a wonderful who certainly still have something to offer chooses to end his intercounty career a little early but of course Stevie managed more than most players could ever dream of. There a few enough players who have won the Player of the Year award without being on the team that lifted Sam and the fact that Stevie is in that bracket tells you all you need to know about the Killeavy man. Strong, intelligent on the ball, unselfish yet deadly accurate and with a great eye for goal, he was close to the perfect corner forward. The best forward in Ireland in the middle part of the last decade, our best forward of the past 20 years and a man who will live forever in the annals of Armagh football.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Armamike on April 18, 2012, 09:31:29 PM
I'm not too sure if we would have beaten Kerry had we got over Tyrone. Tyrone pulled off a great performance to beat them and it needed a great performance to beat that Kerry side.

How the f*** did Fermanagh beat us in 04?

Indeed.............................the year of the muscle I thought, mc geeney trained in a dublin gym at the time and at the rate he was going I thought he was training for Mr Olympia  ;)

Thought Armagh bulked up as a team to much that year, lost speed and pace

Midman

With Stevie and Hearty gone does that  leave Ronan Clarke (if he ever returns)  as the only link to the 2002 panel??

Orior

Quote from: Midman on April 20, 2012, 10:05:22 AM
With Stevie and Hearty gone does that  leave Ronan Clarke (if he ever returns)  as the only link to the 2002 panel??

Hearty doesnt count as he was a sub.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

sammymaguire

Quote from: Orior on April 20, 2012, 12:34:12 PM

its only a 15 man game now Orior? tut tut
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

armaghranger12

Quote from: Orior on April 20, 2012, 12:34:12 PM

Poor post Football is more then a 15 man game course it counts he trained every bit as much as the 15 players that started the game

Agent Orange

Another one gone. Thats the last link to 2002. 6 club AIs and 1 senior county AI. Not a bad haul. Best of luck and I hope you make it 7 club AIs in about 11 months time.

armaghniac

QuoteBest of luck and I hope you make it 7 club AIs in about 11 months time.

I suspect Paul Hearty thinks his chances of another club AI is better than that of another county one!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B