Monaghan Hurlers

Started by Bingo, April 10, 2012, 10:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 10, 2012, 11:35:36 PM
A total joke all round. None of the demands were unreasonable and it seems most clubs were amenable to a resolution but the assholes on the county board decided to play hardball when it was entirely unwarranted. You'd think in instances like this someone from the CCC or one of the many bodies under the Ulster Council would step in and tell them to wise the f**k up. Shit like this can end up festering for years.

Thats very true and its at times like this that the GAA really lets itself down. HQ or even provincial council are very standoffish in these instances. It should be the opposite and at the first hint of a dispute or before it even becomes public, they should be involved and agree a course of action that both sides can agree to. Mind you in HQ, the majority of officers are former county board officials or would sit on committees with current officers, so they would probably just end up doing as was asked by the county board.

Anyway its a shame that 3 intermediate league matches have caused such trouble. You can be sure that in the coming months these teams will be sitting on their hands waiting for games when the county football panel head off for a training weekend.

I don't think they were asking for too much to move 3 matches. The clubs all agreed to move or delay the matches but county board said no.

sheamy

Quote from: Bingo on April 11, 2012, 09:46:26 AM
The clubs all agreed to move or delay the matches but county board said no.

don't think that is true at all...I think 3 out of the 7 wouldn't agree with it or something according to the McHugh statement.

All a bit silly. Players in an impossible situation. The clubs who wouldn't budge also have a case to answer here.

Bingo

Quote from: sheamy on April 11, 2012, 09:52:39 AM

don't think that is true at all...I think 3 out of the 7 wouldn't agree with it or something according to the McHugh statement.

All a bit silly. Players in an impossible situation. The clubs who wouldn't budge also have a case to answer here.

The clubs said they would all agree to the football matchs been called off or rescheduled. Three said they couldn't play without their players - which is right. One of them for instance would have two players on Hurling panel - they'd be their best players arguably on their football team. They have just got promoted to Intermediate for the first time and are playing their first game tonight in it. Not right that they field a weakened team when they already have a small panel. Other club would have 6 players missing from their football squad.

My own club told their players to play the hurling tonight and at weekend. We'd have a larger squad and could cope (hopefully!).

johnneycool

Croke Park now also has a case to answer, they've been very quick to cancel the fixture and bring forward the Galway Dublin relegation game set to take place after the Monaghan hurlers game.

What has Duffy, the Monaghan man done to bring his own county to heel?

Hardy

I presume there will be severe sanctions on Monaghan County Board for failing to fulfill a fixture, particularly a national final?

Yeah, sure.

Applesisapples

Lets see some of  quick action like that taken after the Laois/Armagh fiasco.

Aaron Boone

If postponed now, it could be late October before the matches are played, particularly if the Monaghan footballers are playing in Croker in September.

thebandit

That is definately not the case, all three clubs agreed teams affected, and the opposing clubs involved had agreed to switch the games. All the clubs had more or less assumed the games were being refixed, and had assumed this for a few weeks.

oisinog

If all the clubs agreeded could they not have changed the games themself to avoid this.

I am in support of the Hurlers by the way I just think that over the last few years all these things are getting out of hand

Cyril Farrell fan

Quote from: laoislad on April 10, 2012, 11:47:57 PM
They should get the Kilkenny footballers to tog out for them.
What have Kilkenny footballers got to do with it?

sheamy

Quote from: thebandit on April 11, 2012, 01:24:12 PM

That is definately not the case, all three clubs agreed teams affected, and the opposing clubs involved had agreed to switch the games. All the clubs had more or less assumed the games were being refixed, and had assumed this for a few weeks.

Ok, I have little knowledge other than what I read (and is possible I picked it up wrong)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2012/0410/316689-mickey-mchugh/

"Four of the clubs felt they could continue on and play the matches without their footballers.
"Three clubs felt they weren't in a position to do that. They would need the fixtures changed.
"So the hurlers requested that the three football fixtures out of the seven would be switched.
"The county board blatantly refused to do it and as a result the hurlers have withdrawn their services from the county hurling team."

So the three clubs agreed they should be re-fixed but the county board refused to allow it? That sounds strange...

Maguire01

Disgraceful decision by the county board. Massive disrespect to the hurlers who have been making great progress and had qualified for an all-too-rare final.

Maguire01

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 10, 2012, 04:08:14 PM
Are ye all serious? Division 3A hurling! Get a grip lads.
Division 3A hurling is progress in Monaghan. Either we're serious about promoting the game or we're not.

Lecale2

Just when Monaghan were making a bit of progress.  Very disappointing.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 11, 2012, 05:46:18 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 10, 2012, 04:08:14 PM
Are ye all serious? Division 3A hurling! Get a grip lads.
Division 3A hurling is progress in Monaghan. Either we're serious about promoting the game or we're not.

I have to laugh, there's only 3 or 4 teams in Division 3B! It's not like in football where a Division 3 team could compete with an All-Ireland contender or even where it would be difficult to make a county panel.

If people think this is good enough reason to be calling off club fixtures you'd never get any competition finished. Club fixtures are being fecked around too much as it stands without postponing games for the likes of this.

Hurling is a great game but wasting money on 4th or 5th rate county teams is not "promoting the game". If people are actually serious about promoting hurling there's no mystery about how it's done - loads of coaches and start with kids. Not giving grants, gear, meals, mileage etc to guys who pretty much wouldn't make a decent club side.