Meath Mightily Migrate from Mediocrity, Maybe.

Started by thejuice, April 03, 2012, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 03, 2012, 10:57:00 AM
Trevor Giles?
Would he be a contender?
Fantastic Player, speaks very well, knows the current squad and with his professional background will embrace sports science, does he have any managerial experience?

You would think so Dinny . What about O'rourke or Hayes them seem to have plenty of opinions about the game have they ever been nominated for the Meath Job ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

thejuice

Trevor was in charge of the U21's along with Colm O'Rourke for a few years and never won a game as far as I can tell.

I don't think Hayes or O'Rourke are in any hurry to manage the senior team. They know that where they are sitting the fence is far more comfortable.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

the Deel Rover

Quote from: thejuice on August 03, 2012, 11:21:41 AM
Trevor was in charge of the U21's along with Colm O'Rourke for a few years and never won a game as far as I can tell.

I don't think Hayes or O'Rourke are in any hurry to manage the senior team. They know that where they are sitting the fence is far more comfortable.

Yeah got that impression all right
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

thejuice

In fact I'd rather O'Rourke replacing Barney Allen than taking the managers seat. Its the county board after all who pick the manager and they've made a hash of it since Boylan left.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Exactly, juice. Or Boylan in the chair and O'Rourke on the sideline.

Trevor would need a bit of experience under his belt before tackling this one. Hayes has proven his inability as a manager. McEntee has gone over to the dark side.

What about Tony Kearney?

the Deel Rover

Did any off the lads from the Mick Lyons ere get involved in Coaching after they retired .  I know of Hayes and o' Rourke at Club level but anyone else ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 03, 2012, 11:55:52 AM
Did any off the lads from the Mick Lyons ere get involved in Coaching after they retired .  I know of Hayes and o' Rourke at Club level but anyone else ?

Liam Harnan managed Maynooth, Colm Coyle managed Celbridge and David Beggy managed Leixlip.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

More did than didn't, I'd say - Coyle, Harnan, Mickey McQuillan, Tommy Dowd, O'Malley, McEntee off the top of my head. Beggy coached my own former club at Junior level.

Declan

Gerry McEntee to me is the obvious choice if he could get the right team around him

AZOffaly

What about John Evans? He came in there towards the end of Banty's reign? Was that a case of Banty being advised to bring him on board, or was it all Banty's idea? If it was the former, maybe Evans was being lined up to replace Banty.

Hardy

I was thinking about that at the time and I came to the conclusion that Banty wouldn't have been in the mood to accept anything imposed by the county board, flushed as he was with the success of seeing off the attempted heave.

As regards John Evans succeeding Banty, my guess would be that the county board will have learned from Banty's difficulties that an outside manager will struggle to gain acceptance. Though it may be a bit of a reach to expect our county board to learn anything.

Sea The Stars

Jody Devine fits the profile of a possible Meath manager. Won all-Irelands in the nineties although probably best remembered as an impact sub. He's managed the Meath u21s, the Meath juniors and served as a selector under Eammon Barry. He done well with Kells last year.

Trevor Giles and Graham Geraghty are the two obvious choices though. The likes of Donal Curtis, Ollie Murphy, Darren Fay, Tommy Dowd and Barry Callaghan could all be interested too. So there's lots of potential candidates amongst the nineties generation.

demusicman

It is only a few months ago since the Meath County Board tried to remove the Manager they appointed for two years Banty.
Who were they proposing to replace him?Sean Boylan
If they felt then, that was for the better for Meath Football ,how can they propose anybody other than Sean Boylan!!!!

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

agorm

I have a feeling that it is now or never or Colm O'Rourke and that this is now the time or him to give it a go.
He was part of a group that made some proposals on the structures a few years ago. That needs to be followed up on as well.