Meath Mightily Migrate from Mediocrity, Maybe.

Started by thejuice, April 03, 2012, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Good question. It'd have to be well organised. The status quo has great inertia and needs a strong force to upend it. Hence the re-election of people regardless of performance.

There'd have to be campaign taken to all the clubs, with a plan to install named, respected figures as chairman and secretary and a manifesto for their tenure comprising at least a five-year strategic plan. It could be pulled off if a group of people of substance came together, drew up the manifesto, selected and approached agreed candidates and announced their campaign. 

thejuice

That's the great unanswered question. Or perhaps the great unasked question. Who has the ideas to move Meath forward and are they willing to do the job.

The just reading the great echo chamber that is hoganstand, they love to talk about which manager should be next or who they want on the county board. They start by applying some wishy washy characteristics to people who for all we know might not even want the job.

It's disappointing that all the talk has focused on the senior team management. The minor match against Dublin told a bigger story. Other telling signs are the "Blue Wave strategies" and the Meath strategy when you compare them. Dunganny unfinished too. Pairc Tailteann being deemed a hazard to public health.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Declan

agorm

Well, it's back to square one as they say. At least the issue has been settled within a week and Banty must be givn credit for not allowing it to fester which would not be good for Meath football. Personally, I think he did a pretty decent job but a team in transition in a county that expects a lot more than the underage talent would suggest was always going to be very difficult.

At the end of the day, it came down a pitiful performance from the team in Navan against Louth at the end of the league. That was one of the most horrendous performances from any team i have ever supported in any capacity. I dont know the reason for it, perhaps Banty had them doing strength training or something and they were aiming for the championship. However, there were 15 players and whatever subs on the pitch that day and, manager or  no manager, the performance was wholly unacceptable and the players have to shoulder the blame for, what looked like, a Sunday afternoon sleepy stroll in the park. There were a couple of other bad performances but, considering the importance of the fixture and the opposition, that was the nadir.

In my mind the championship overall was ok. A bad draw against Carlow but a great win against Kildare and a fair performance against Dublin ending in a relatively poor performance against an underrated Laois.

Overall, I would say thanks to Banty, I dont think he did it for the money but I dont know too much about these things so I am not sure what his core motivations were.

screenexile

Quote from: agorm on August 02, 2012, 08:41:45 PM
Well, it's back to square one as they say. At least the issue has been settled within a week and Banty must be givn credit for not allowing it to fester which would not be good for Meath football. Personally, I think he did a pretty decent job but a team in transition in a county that expects a lot more than the underage talent would suggest was always going to be very difficult.

At the end of the day, it came down a pitiful performance from the team in Navan against Louth at the end of the league. That was one of the most horrendous performances from any team i have ever supported in any capacity. I dont know the reason for it, perhaps Banty had them doing strength training or something and they were aiming for the championship. However, there were 15 players and whatever subs on the pitch that day and, manager or  no manager, the performance was wholly unacceptable and the players have to shoulder the blame for, what looked like, a Sunday afternoon sleepy stroll in the park. There were a couple of other bad performances but, considering the importance of the fixture and the opposition, that was the nadir.

In my mind the championship overall was ok. A bad draw against Carlow but a great win against Kildare and a fair performance against Dublin ending in a relatively poor performance against an underrated Laois.

Overall, I would say thanks to Banty, I dont think he did it for the money but I dont know too much about these things so I am not sure what his core motivations were.

Indeed! Whether he did it for money or not you can't doubt he gave it his best shot and really that's all you can ask for from a man. I would take him in Derry at least our teams would have a buit of fight in them!!!

Best of luck to him I say!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hardy on August 01, 2012, 12:41:58 PM
Good question. It'd have to be well organised. The status quo has great inertia and needs a strong force to upend it. Hence the re-election of people regardless of performance.

There'd have to be campaign taken to all the clubs, with a plan to install named, respected figures as chairman and secretary and a manifesto for their tenure comprising at least a five-year strategic plan. It could be pulled off if a group of people of substance came together, drew up the manifesto, selected and approached agreed candidates and announced their campaign.

Without doubt, you're right but it's easier said than done.
As long as the present CB members remain in place, you won't stand a chance of getting any radical proposals past them
That's presupposing a committee will be appointed to draw up a manifesto in the first instance.
We were in more or less the same mess in Mayo when John O'Mahony departed. A committee was appointed to examine the overall football structure in the county and its remit was to examine all aspects of the game and come back with proposals to address the problems that were plain to be seen.
"Root and branch overhaul" was the buzz term being bandied about as the committee got to work. Liam Horan, the well-known journalist, was the chairman and all the other members were  well-known and respected.
No doubt we had a serious committee going to do some serious work.
We're still waiting for any of their proposals to be implemented.
Sure enough, their report was completed and sent to the CB. Then it was put before a general meeting of club delegates. A time-honoured democratic procedure etc. etc.
As was to be expected, the meeting decided nothing. On the basis that turkeys don't vote for Christmas, there were too many who didn't want their own patches trampled on and the report is probably gathering dust on some shelf in the CB office.
I can't see things working out differently in Meath or any other county either.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

So Banty has gone. Who s idea was he in Meath ffs!

And he had an appearance tonight with Pat Spillane, Eamonn O Hara, Spillane and Val Andrews.

Christ, but 'winging it', assertive and ignorant all at the same time is a bad mix. Who in Meath ever thought he would be a good idea. When he had to comment on games outside his zone he was embarrassing. That shit tonight was another low for RTE. Only Andrews had a bit of anything about him.

Ard-Rí

Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on August 03, 2012, 12:54:37 AM

And he had an appearance tonight with Pat Spillane, Eamonn O Hara, Spillane and Val Andrews.

Christ, but 'winging it', assertive and ignorant all at the same time is a bad mix. Who in Meath ever thought he would be a good idea. When he had to comment on games outside his zone he was embarrassing. That shit tonight was another low for RTE. Only Andrews had a bit of anything about him.

Banty is a strange chap, at the start of tonight's show he complains to Spillane about comments said on the Sunday game then later in the show he said he didn't care what other people had to say as he would always ignore it.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on August 03, 2012, 01:06:30 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 03, 2012, 12:54:37 AM

Banty is a strange chap, at the start of tonight's show he complains to Spillane about comments said on the Sunday game then later in the show he said he didn't care what other people had to say as he would always ignore it.

Strange is not the word for it. Never saw him having to join the dots before tonight but that was something. I didn t thing he was exactly compos mentis the last day on the line during the later stages of the Laois match but tonight was different.

He s a f**king conman. There was a lad on here earlier that wants him to manage his county team. MOG.

rrhf

Bingo

Whatever about Banty, one thing he isn't is a "football" manager. He is a manager of players, an organiser, surrounds himself with people in the right areas - coaches, physio's, workers etc etc but tactically and from a football perspective he is limited.

He will bring a team that is at a low level and raise it through fitness, changing attitudes and bringing the players together. But to think he has any kind of cuteness or tactical awareness is away of the mark.

As a club manager, he achieved nothing of note in Monaghan. He got the job in Monaghan on the back of having an experienced team of noted managers as selectors with him, roaded them when pressure came on and went elsewhere for a new team of selectors.

He has his strengths, which would suit certain clubs or counties but like it was shown in Meath, he is not a man for a high profile job looking to go to the top table.

Hardy

Let's just hope we've learned a lesson. Now if we can get rid of Barney Allen, I'll believe we mean business.

Dinny Breen

Trevor Giles?

Would he be a contender?

Fantastic Player, speaks very well, knows the current squad and with his professional background will embrace sports science, does he have any managerial experience?
#newbridgeornowhere