Towns in Ireland named after British Imperialists

Started by Feckitt, April 02, 2012, 09:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Newtownhamilton was known as Tullyvallan before the Plantation. The place its name from Alexander Hamilton, a descendant of the John Hamilton from Scotland who founded Hamiltonsbawn in 1619.

thejuice

Ashbourne in Co.Meath was known as Killeglan (Cill Dhéagláin, "Déaglán's church"). It was then taken over and fortified by Anglo-Normans led by Hugh De Lacy and later Cromwells son who lived in Killegland Castle. It was renamed by Fredrick Bourne who set up a tollbooth 10 Irish miles (hence the 9 mile stone still standing outside the town) from Dublin and later the village grew up around it. The ash bit of the name was because it was his favourite tree. The new street in the town built during the last decade was named Killegand Street.

Renaming of towns is a bit of a touchy subject for me. However we might feel about something politically it is part of us and our history. Now perhaps it is acceptable to change a name to reflect the true or changing culture of a place (Bombay to Mumbai) but to eradicate something from our history I think we might lose more than we gain and distorts our true identity and make-up. 

Another particular subject that bothers me as mentioned earlier is the naming of new housing estates that do not reflect the local history or townlands. Names like "The Paddocks" or "Alder Brook" sound like they were named as a marketing tool as opposed to any real consideration to the locality. Not only that but their architecture doesn't relate either. I could go on, as talking about Celtic Tiger housing estates and the Irish planning system drive me up the wall.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

HiMucker

I have no eveidence or knowledge to back this up, but I would assume Carlingford in county Louth would be one.

Bingo

Castleblayney, Co Monaghan.

The town of Castleblayney originated in the aftermath of the Tudor conquest of Gaelic Ulster, following the Nine Years' War, 1583-1601. Forfeited secular lands in the area previously owned by the MacMahon chieftains were granted by the Crown in 1611 to Sir Edward Blayney from Montgomeryshire in Wales, who became Baron of Monaghan and later, the first Lord Blayney. He had been in the service of Queen Elizabeth I. Appropriated church land (or 'termon') of Muckno Friary (Augustinians|Augustinian) on the northeastern side of the lake in the Churchill area (Mullandoy) had already been granted to him in 1606/7.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: HiMucker on April 03, 2012, 10:17:19 AM
I have no eveidence or knowledge to back this up, but I would assume Carlingford in county Louth would be one.

The placename Carlingford is rendered in Irish Cairlinn. The name is derived from the Old Norse Kerlingfjorðr, whch means "narrow sea-inlet of the hag". The name may refer to the nearby Mourne Mountains, known as the "Three Nuns

Hardy

sheamy

Quote from: HiMucker on April 03, 2012, 10:17:19 AM

Named after the lager?  :)
Would be a fjord (as in Scandinavian fjords). Like strangford etc.

Kerlingfjorðr - place of the stag doos.

Feckitt

We are kind of getting off thread here lads, There are no doubt hundreds of examples throughout every county, but the op was to see what other if any towns had changed back from the British name to the original irish name.

So far we only have,

Birr used to be Parsonstown.
Daingean (The Offaly version) used to be Philipstown
Dun Laoighaire used to be Kingstown
Portlaoise used to be Maryborough
Cobh used to be Queenstown

Any others?

HiMucker

I assumed wrong then!  Thanks lads, everyday is a school day.

The brits while they were stationed there took the liberty of renaming Ballykelly in Derry Wallworth!  Never heard a soul revered to it by that though!

Denn Forever

Quote from: Feckitt on April 03, 2012, 10:55:48 AM
We are kind of getting off thread here lads, There are no doubt hundreds of examples throughout every county, but the op was to see what other if any towns had changed back from the British name to the original irish name.

So far we only have,

Birr used to be Parsonstown.
Daingean (The Offaly version) used to be Philipstown
Dun Laoighaire used to be Kingstown
Portlaoise used to be Maryborough
Cobh used to be Queenstown

Any others?

But some of the most interesting and informative threads are those that "go off thread".
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

sheamy

Quote from: HiMucker on April 03, 2012, 11:01:50 AM
I assumed wrong then!  Thanks lads, everyday is a school day.

The brits while they were stationed there took the liberty of renaming Ballykelly in Derry Wallworth!  Never heard a soul revered to it by that though!

Good point Mucker!

And I think we have a new category here...A new 'town' descends on the edge of another town, place signs go up, and now the town and signs (I think) have disappeared again! Colonisation for the information ages.

Any other examples of that?

Rois

Quote from: Feckitt on April 02, 2012, 09:14:40 PM

There are a few in the North as well, but obviously no name change is onthe horizon.

Brookeborough, Co Fermanagh
Craigavon, Co Armagh

Erm, Feckitt I think you took it off topic in your opening post when you mentioned Brookeborough and Craigavon!

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on April 03, 2012, 10:12:03 AM
Another particular subject that bothers me as mentioned earlier is the naming of new housing estates that do not reflect the local history or townlands. Names like "The Paddocks" or "Alder Brook" sound like they were named as a marketing tool as opposed to any real consideration to the locality. Not only that but their architecture doesn't relate either. I could go on, as talking about Celtic Tiger housing estates and the Irish planning system drive me up the wall.

Estate names are often  desperate attempts at sophistication that come across as craven. 

Feckitt

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.