Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2012

Started by drici, March 31, 2012, 10:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is just something about that Jim Mc Corry fella that I cannot warm to. Comes across very arrogant in interviews. What club in Armagh is he from?? Are his teams famous for winning at any means as such!!

AQMP

I must be getting old...I can't believe the number of posters who don't know who Joey Cunningham is!!  Joey started with Forkhill and played a couple of years for Cross towards the end of his career.

As for the game, softish penalty at the start for Cross but from then until the end of the first half it was men against boys (how the feck did that Kilcoo team beat St Galls??).  Cross will be looking at a lot of sloppy play in the second half that allowed Kilcoo back into a game that should have been buried.  Cross must have kicked more ball away in that game than in the previous five years put together.  Hard to argue with the red card and two yellows for Clarke was probably about right, though the Kilcoo no 11 was lucky not to get a red for the two kneed dive into Clarke's back.  Also the Kilcoo no 2 did a bit of play acting, the end result of which was him giving the ball away for the 3rd goal.

As for the alleged racism, I don't think there's much the GAA can do about abuse from individual spectators but after a thorough investigation the players should be named and shamed and should received a heavy punishment.

I've been telling anyone who'll listen for years that Down are very much the self-styled "aristocrats" of football.  Actually the aristocratic class were riven with racist attitudes so maybe the cap does fit after all. ;)

catchandkick

Castlehaven and Kilcoo could play some kind of Losers round where the loser could be kicked out of club football for good. Castlehaven were an absolute disgrace in Cork yesterday

screenexile

Quote from: AQMP on December 03, 2012, 09:09:03 AM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on December 03, 2012, 08:52:39 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 03, 2012, 07:34:06 AM
Quote from: catchandkick on December 03, 2012, 12:46:25 AM
Quote from: Oglach on December 03, 2012, 12:34:35 AM
Jez get over yourselves, a lot of shite talk goes on during any match not to mention an Ulster club final, im not condoning any racist remarks by anybody from Kilcoo but it goes on with both sides.

You are thus implying that every club in Ireland contains a smattering of racists.

Possibly true, but surely if we want to spread the game among other ethnic groups in Ireland, then it needs to be blotted out asap.

Its amazing the lengths people will got to win a football match these days.

Unfortunately a lot of these types of nasty verbals started in the early part of this century. up North.

It's never been dealt with by the GAA either then or now.

Now when it moves into the realms of racism its a new low for the Association . Younger players are very impressionable and if they see this as acceptable then the game is in big trouble.

How is this the case?

Graham Geraghty must be from North Meath??

Brilliant post Indiana!!! I played in Dublin for 2 years and got nothing but "British bastard" "Nordie p***k" etc. etc.

We won't even go into the trampish behaviour of Paul Casey!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on December 03, 2012, 09:24:54 AM
Jez get over yourselves, a lot of shite talk goes on during any match not to mention an Ulster club final, im not condoning any racist remarks by anybody from Kilcoo but it goes on with both sides.

You are thus implying that every club in Ireland contains a smattering of racists.

Possibly true, but surely if we want to spread the game among other ethnic groups in Ireland, then it needs to be blotted out asap.

Unfortunately a lot of these types of nasty verbals started in the early part of this century. up North.

Now when it moves into the realms of racism its a new low for the Association . Younger players are very impressionable and if they see this as acceptable then the game is in big trouble.

How is this the case?

Brilliant post Indiana!!! I played in Dublin for 2 years and got nothing but "British b**tard" "Nordie p***k" etc. etc.

Ah now Screen we all now that verbals originates back to the Lavey sides of the early 90s ;)

AQMP

Quote from: catchandkick on December 03, 2012, 09:24:50 AM
Castlehaven and Kilcoo could play some kind of Losers round where the loser could be kicked out of club football for good. Castlehaven were an absolute disgrace in Cork yesterday

We shouldn't overlook the fact that Crokes looked pretty impressive yesterday.  They'll also get an extra game against Tir Chonaill Gaels (not Tir Na nOg as the Crokes player thought).  I think they'll go close this year.

Stevie Nicks

If this allegation is proved then the 2 individuals have let themselves, their club and the parish down. The build up to the final which should have been Kilcoo's big day was great to see round the parish and the amount of work done by good honest gaels has been overshadowed. It has given an opportunity for Kilcoo beating from certain quarters, the club have released a statement pretty quickly and outright condemned this chat and have said it will be investigated and I hope it is. It is a small rural club and fir it to have reached an ulster final is to be commended and it is a gre at pity that these 2 individuals have insured it will be remembered for the wrong reasons!
From this trend I feel it is very one sided, there was a lot of off the ball crap going on from BOTH teams and is not good to see, however Cross did finish with 13 and deservedly so, and there was also verbals from cross players after the 3 rd goal, granted not racial.
I hope the 2 players are dealt with swiftly and  the hard work being done at club level is rewarded on the pitch.

Applesisapples

I've just read the irish News report, is their a moratorium on commenting on the referee? McQuillan gave Jamie Clarke absolutely no protection yesterday. He had a number of frees given against him for allegedly trying to draw a foul. This is one of the very few times I've ever seen the defender get every decision. Mean while at the other end a couple of similar incidents where from his position McQullian could not have missed the Kilcoo forward holding the defenders arm. Sledging of any sort has no place in sport period. I don't care if it's about how you look, where your from or what your mother's nocturnal habits are. It needs to be sorted. It's a bit unfair to blame Jim McCorry the guys on the pitch need to stand up and take responsibility for their own actions. It is all too common for linesmen and umpires to have selective hearing and vision. It is time that referees and linesmen for important intercounty games either at club or county team level are properly paid, trained and held to account.

Keepthefaith93

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 03, 2012, 09:27:20 AM
Quote from: screenexile on December 03, 2012, 09:24:54 AM

How is this the case?

Brilliant post Indiana!!! I played in Dublin for 2 years and got nothing but "British b**tard" "Nordie p***k" etc. etc.

Ah now Screen we all now that verbals originates back to the Lavey sides of the early 90s ;)

That's what i was thinking lad. Some players on that Lavey team would have come out with anything, looking back at it they where that bad a bunch of hueres its nearly funny.

catchandkick

Quote from: AQMP on December 03, 2012, 09:31:00 AM
Quote from: catchandkick on December 03, 2012, 09:24:50 AM

We shouldn't overlook the fact that Crokes looked pretty impressive yesterday.  They'll also get an extra game against Tir Chonaill Gaels (not Tir Na nOg as the Crokes player thought).  I think they'll go close this year.

True, but Castlehaven were the level of a poor intermediate team in Kerry.

Keepthefaith93

Well done to Crossmaglen, what an incredible team.

Feel a bit sorry for Kilcoo. Biggest day in the clubs history and this is what it will be remembered for. I am in no way condoning the racial abuse of Aaron Cunningham and the guilty players should be severely punished ( not a 2 month ban ) but it seems to me alot people are delighted to get a dig at the Kilcoo club especially some of there fellow county men.

Hoof Hearted

AI club semi finalists - some consistency by those 3 teams !

2010–11 Kilmacud Crokes (Dublin) Nemo Rangers (Cork) Crossmaglen Rangers (Armagh) St. Brigid's (Roscommon)
2011–12 Garrycastle (Westmeath) Dr. Crokes (Kerry)      Crossmaglen Rangers (Armagh) St. Brigid's (Roscommon)
2012–13  ?????                               Dr. Crokes (Kerry)      Crossmaglen Rangers (Armagh) St. Brigid's (Roscommon
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Link

Quote from: AQMP on December 03, 2012, 09:23:58 AM
I must be getting old...I can't believe the number of posters who don't know who Joey Cunningham is!!  Joey started with Forkhill and played a couple of years for Cross towards the end of his career.

As for the game, softish penalty at the start for Cross but from then until the end of the first half it was men against boys (how the feck did that Kilcoo team beat St Galls??).  Cross will be looking at a lot of sloppy play in the second half that allowed Kilcoo back into a game that should have been buried.  Cross must have kicked more ball away in that game than in the previous five years put together.  Hard to argue with the red card and two yellows for Clarke was probably about right, though the Kilcoo no 11 was lucky not to get a red for the two kneed dive into Clarke's back.  Also the Kilcoo no 2 did a bit of play acting, the end result of which was him giving the ball away for the 3rd goal.

As for the alleged racism, I don't think there's much the GAA can do about abuse from individual spectators but after a thorough investigation the players should be named and shamed and should received a heavy punishment.

I've been telling anyone who'll listen for years that Down are very much the self-styled "aristocrats" of football.  Actually the aristocratic class were riven with racist attitudes so maybe the cap does fit after all. ;)

Just googled him. Absolute double of aaron. Didn't get to see much of the cross game but i'm looking forward to the highlights tonight. I'm sure the last minute goal helped a few lads on the handicap betting. Maybe the kilcoo corner back had a bit on -4 or -5 himself. ;-)

nrico2006

Kilcoo got what they deserved.  I actually felt disgusted yesterday at the constant late hits and tackles Jamie Clarke was getting.  I hate the way that if someone is battered for an hour he is expected to simply take it, if he lashes out in the slightest he ends up being punished moreso that someone who was playing dirty for a whole game - disgrace. 

Kilcoo were well beat at the end of the day, losing by 6 points in a day like that is a big loss.  People seem to forget what a foul is, it seems to be the case now that a player has to intentionally commit a crime on the pitch to give the opposition a free/penalty.  Ther Crossmaglen penalty was a definite, the Crossmaglen man was through on goal and was tripped.  Whether it was an accident or intentional, he was still tripped and was fouled.

The only reason Dr Crokes or any team will beat Crossmaglen this year is due to the players that Crossmaglen are likely to be missing with Finnegan and Hanratty from last years panel missing as well as probably missing Kernan too.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thewobbler

So disheartening turning on the TV last night and radio this morning.

Not disheartening in that there's "racism" in our games, but that so much has been made out of so little.

Aaron Cunningham comes across as a bright and well-spoken lad, and I do not write this lightly, nor do I wish to undermine racism.

But the average Kilcoo inbred doesn't do racism, they just mouth off at everyone and anyone. They use whatever comes to mind to deliver insults and "get one over", rather than use their minds. It's horrible behaviour, but it's born from ignorance and not racism - and certainly not from some premeditated racist angle.

By the way, Kilcoo is one of a thousand GAA clubs with a handful or more of inbred supporters/players. You can pretty much guarantee that some of those involved are also some of the hardest working people in the club and nobody will want to see them go. It's a conundrum for our sport. But I'll reiterate, this isn't racism and "educating" people about racism isn't going to help one iota. Encouraging a GAA-wide policy as simple as "We are not soccer. We are much better people than that. We will not lower ourselves. Think before you speak" would be much more beneficial.

Well done to XMG, such a fantastic team. Words can't do them justice.