Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2012

Started by drici, March 31, 2012, 10:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catchandkick

Interesting that on the same day when, in my view, Castlehaven were an absolute disgrace to Cork football and all it stands for, that your clear implication is that Kilcoo performed the exact same role in disgracing Down football.

Haven't seen the Cross Kilcoo match yet.

INDIANA

Quote from: catchandkick on December 03, 2012, 12:46:25 AM
Quote from: Oglach on December 03, 2012, 12:34:35 AM
Jez get over yourselves, a lot of shite talk goes on during any match not to mention an Ulster club final, im not condoning any racist remarks by anybody from Kilcoo but it goes on with both sides.

You are thus implying that every club in Ireland contains a smattering of racists.

Possibly true, but surely if we want to spread the game among other ethnic groups in Ireland, then it needs to be blotted out asap.

Its amazing the lengths people will got to win a football match these days.

Unfortunately a lot of these types of nasty verbals started in the early part of this century. up North.

It's never been dealt with by the GAA either then or now.

Now when it moves into the realms of racism its a new low for the Association . Younger players are very impressionable and if they see this as acceptable then the game is in big trouble.

NAG1

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2012, 11:33:52 PM
Just watched the game there again. Mickey Mac did strike out but it was an open hand and the no 10 was out of line in starting the row by running up to him and then going down like he was shot. As for the Jamie sending off that is laid directly at McQuillans cowardly door. Jamie reacted to a full hour of abuse without any protection. Both 11 and 6 slid in on him with their knees after he was fouled. The treatment he received was nothing short of scandalous. The general approach of Kilcoo was dreadful, nevermind the allegations, we have been accused of cynicism but what I watched today goes well beyond anything we habe ever been at. The greatest indictment, though, in terms of their play is the simple fact that only 1 starting forward scored a point from play and that wasn't until the 60th minute of the game. They survived on frees, some of which were extremely dubious.

Anyway, simple fact is that our club has now reached double figures and have time to work on ironing out the problems for St Brigids.

In fairness BCB when you watch it back you will find JC very lucky not to have seen red before that for a a clear punch on the corner back, ignored by the umpire and the linesman. Im not saying that he felled the guy or anything but he did punch and connect and on another day would have been walking for that alone.

NaomhBridAbú

Jez get over yourselves, a lot of shite talk goes on during any match not to mention an Ulster club final, im not condoning any racist remarks by anybody from Kilcoo but it goes on with both sides.
Crossmaglen players were racially abusing one of our defenders after we scored our goal but we didn't feel the need to run to the BBC to complain, its a big boys game.
We got off to the worst start you could imagine today but clawed our way back into it. When we scored our goal Cross got used all their exprerience to distrupt our game by lying down or starting wrestling moves all over the field and i felt today  Kilcoo held their own in this department.
I also felt the ref had a bad day at the office and gifted Cross the penalty at the start as well as some dubious free kicks.
When all is said and done over the 60 minutes Cross deserved the win and fair play to them. They're a fantastic team when they play football and it'd be hard to see anyone stop them.

No one ran to the BBC - it was apparent from the actions of 2 of your players and the response from cunningam and another CRoss man - Arran Kernan, i think, that what was being said, was a little more than shite talk, as you put it.
And not only that, but a section of Kilcoo fans in the stand were firing all sorts of racist abuse  - an off duty BBC commentator happened to be sitting in the middle of them, with his children and decided to move.

At the end of the game i was on the pitch, when one of your fans had to be restrained by stewards, after allegedly pushing a young girl.

That sort of shite may go on all the time at Kilcoo games, but it has no place in GAA or society. After 100s of years of being subjected to bigotry in every corner of the globe, you'd think us Irish would know better.

I went to the game yesterday as a neutral - and if Im honest, im f**king thrilled that Kilcoo lost, and will remember the first half most when they embarrassed you more than you were able to embarrass the GAA
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: NAG1 on December 03, 2012, 07:55:52 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2012, 11:33:52 PM
Just watched the game there again. Mickey Mac did strike out but it was an open hand and the no 10 was out of line in starting the row by running up to him and then going down like he was shot. As for the Jamie sending off that is laid directly at McQuillans cowardly door. Jamie reacted to a full hour of abuse without any protection. Both 11 and 6 slid in on him with their knees after he was fouled. The treatment he received was nothing short of scandalous. The general approach of Kilcoo was dreadful, nevermind the allegations, we have been accused of cynicism but what I watched today goes well beyond anything we habe ever been at. The greatest indictment, though, in terms of their play is the simple fact that only 1 starting forward scored a point from play and that wasn't until the 60th minute of the game. They survived on frees, some of which were extremely dubious.

Anyway, simple fact is that our club has now reached double figures and have time to work on ironing out the problems for St Brigids.

In fairness BCB when you watch it back you will find JC very lucky not to have seen red before that for a a clear punch on the corner back, ignored by the umpire and the linesman. Im not saying that he felled the guy or anything but he did punch and connect and on another day would have been walking for that alone.

He did clip him on the nose but there was very little power in it and your man went down like he was shot. Technically was a strike and a sending off, in his defence though, I was directly in line with it and watched it develop instead of following the play and the abuse he took in the few minutes prior to that, off the ball, was justification for the slap. 

Quote from: INDIANA on December 03, 2012, 07:34:06 AM

You are thus implying that every club in Ireland contains a smattering of racists.

Possibly true, but surely if we want to spread the game among other ethnic groups in Ireland, then it needs to be blotted out asap.

Unfortunately a lot of these types of nasty verbals started in the early part of this century. up North.

Now when it moves into the realms of racism its a new low for the Association . Younger players are very impressionable and if they see this as acceptable then the game is in big trouble.

Need to pull you on that one Indiana.  I was a school boy playing Corn na nOg football when I was told by a hallion from Cavan in Cootehill to 'f**k away off back to the Black North ye British bastard' and he was a school teacher.  That was over 20 years ago.  I also took dogs abuse from a crowd of 'supporters' from Portlaoise in 2005.  I played in Cork for a few years and a gurrier from Castlehaven made similar comments to me, but sure it was all part of the game I suppose and I just had to man up! 

catchandkick

Agreed but I think it's very difficult to police. Descends into farcical kind of arguments about the tone of the comment, as was seen in the Suarez case where he was arguing that the word negrito was a term of affection in South America. Real nit picking stuff. But this Aaron Cunningham case seems quite black and white. Ha!

NaomhBridAbú

How is this the case?
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Mont

wasnt long ago cross were playin the london winners and 1 of the cross 'members' on the line wer giving plenty of verbals to the london players about wer we resided and how we accepted the queens money etc etc.
Thes things go on all the time - not defendin it

johnneycool

I don't think J Leahy of Mullinahone fame is from 'up North' and his comment to a Galway hurler in an AI semi-final  in the late 80's or possibly early 90's has yet to be bettered in terms of scumminess.

Cheap and ignorant comment INDIANA.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Mont on December 03, 2012, 09:00:39 AM
wasnt long ago cross were playin the london winners and 1 of the cross 'members' on the line wer giving plenty of verbals to the london players about wer we resided and how we accepted the queens money etc etc.
Thes things go on all the time - not defendin it

i agree that things go on all the time - but that in itself is not justification. If you can imagine how many young kids were in the stand yesterday listening to that sort of 'shite talk' and acclimatising to it - thinking that its acceptable and normal?

I hope the GAA go f**king crazy at the players and the club...more so than the FA did with suarez and ferdinand - Im not proud at all about yesterday

AQMP

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on December 03, 2012, 08:52:39 AM

How is this the case?

Graham Geraghty must be from North Meath??

imtommygunn

Was Keith Barr not pretty good at this kind of thing too? I'm sure there were plenty before him too in those 70s dub teams who were far from angels.

catchandkick

Quote from: johnneycool on December 03, 2012, 09:04:18 AM
I don't think J Leahy of Mullinahone fame is from 'up North' and his comment to a Galway hurler in an AI semi-final  in the late 80's or possibly early 90's has yet to be bettered in terms of scumminess.

You can't tease us like that johnneycool!

downjim

I was unlucky to see the great burren team in action but I have travelled over ulster watching burren and mayobridge since the turn of the century. Both clubs are neighbours who woulda kill each on the field fairly but they always represented down with honour and tried to play football the down way. Kilcoo are a disgrace to to this famous county led by mccorry who knows this is going on

orangeman

Quote from: catchandkick on December 03, 2012, 09:15:27 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on December 03, 2012, 09:04:18 AM

You can't tease us like that johnneycool!

This is old ground lads. No need to plough it up again is there ?.