Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2012

Started by drici, March 31, 2012, 10:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

The Cross penalty was dodgy, and looked more like a tangle of legs than a foul. It was very nearly saved by the Kilcoo keeper, who then hit a poor kick-out and the ball was back in his net a matter of seconds later. Cross then started hitting points from all angles and it was amazing that they let Kilcoo back into the game with something of a collapse in the third quarter.

Conor Laverty's pass for Anthony Devlin's goal was a gem, although Devlin really should have got a red card in the first half. It was a niggly match from the start, and that suited Kilcoo when they got some momentum going. What was really surprising was that Kilcoo's half forward line of Darragh O'Hanlon, Jerome Johnston and Paul Devlin were relatively poor on the day, and kept giving away possession, but if it had not been for the two early goals - which were a mixture of bad luck and inexperience - the shock of the decade could easily have been on.

Cross will certainly know that the indiscipline they often showed today would be fatal in an AI semi. To win ten Ulster finals out of ten is unbelievable, but the likes of St Brigid's and Dr Croke's will fancy their chances now.

fitzroyalty

Who was it said Armagh football was shite? Indiana? 2/3 isn't bad - senior and junior ulster champs

downtown

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2012, 05:34:31 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on December 02, 2012, 05:05:11 PM
Big turning point in game.....................

Kilcoo get a goal through Devlin, to make it 3/4 in it. Crossmaglen's Paul Kernan , the FB one, goes down with a 'bad' arm even though in the reply nothing happened him. He goes down for 3 minutes and totally kills the roll Kilcoo were on. Very clever.

Paul Kernan had a recurrence of the shoulder injury that caused him to miss 5 months since AI replay. He is likely to miss the AI semi. A mixture of good and bad. Couldn't see sending offs from where I was so won't comment on them. Jamie Clarke was physically abused the whole game and was struck twice in the face in front of the umpires and no action was taken. Kilcoo can be proud of their comeback but utterly ashamed of some of wjst they did. This is not over yet...

you on about the incident with aaron cunningham BC? he wasnt best pleased what ever was said to him. have a fair idea what it may have been as well. if it comes out what he said and its what i think it may be there could be serious implications!!!

anyhow, great game, really enjoyed it and cross are some team! they have increased my bank balance once again!

who do they play in the semis now?? any date set yet?

Armaghtothebone

Kilcoo get a goal through Devlin, to make it 3/4 in it. Crossmaglen's Paul Kernan , the FB one, goes down with a 'bad' arm even though in the reply nothing happened him. He goes down for 3 minutes and totally kills the roll Kilcoo were on. Very clever.

Even more clever to be substituted straight after?

yellowcard

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on December 02, 2012, 06:06:13 PM

Yeah he has an ongoing problem with his shoulder dislocating that is career threatening so I would hardly call it gamesmanship.

Throw ball

Not long in from game. Will start by saying as an Armagh man I went to support Cross but would not have been too disappointed if they had lost. By the end I was cheering Cross to the hilt. For me the way Kilcoo play is the type of game that is destroying football. It must also be pointed out that the pitch was very slippy and there was persistent rain which made handling difficult and I think this helped Kilcoo. I did not see the sending off incidents but I could see from my seat in the first half that Clarke, McConville and Stephen Kernan in particular were getting fierce abuse off the ball. I am sure a couple of Kilcoo forwards would say they suffered too.

I thought Clarke had to work harder to get his frees than other players from both sides. He will learn a lot from getting send off today. The way the game was refereed today also suggested it is better to go down when tackled than stay on your feet!

Paul Kernan showed unbelievable bravery to try and play on after his injury and for anyone to suggest he was feigning injury is just plain daft.

It is along time since I saw so many Cross players so rattled and whatever was said to Cunningham must have really got to him as even Hanratty was trying to calm him down!

As for Man of Match watching the game at the ground I thought McKenna was superb. Was he given award?

yellowcard

Quote from: theticklemister on December 02, 2012, 05:14:44 PM
for the second cross match running, the person who got motm didn't deserve it!!! another crappy selection. McConville the last time and mckenna today.

aherne or johnny hanratty were the best players on the pitch.

Would agree with that. I would have selected Johnny Hanratty as MOTM. McKenna caught a few balls in the middle alright but went missing for spells.

Jinxy

Kilcoo players have officially been accused of racially abusing Cunningham.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bennydorano

Oh dear. Wrong headlines on the NI news again tomorrow. Sad stuff.

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on December 02, 2012, 06:13:45 PM

Guess what is going to dominate the headlines for the rest of the week now. I was putting 2 and 2 together at the match and thought something like this happened at the time. We could do without this really, the club championships never cease to throw up controversy.

theticklemister

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on December 02, 2012, 06:06:13 PM

......................... aye, just to make sure  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)  I missed him going off and I retract my statement. Seemed nothing in the tackle though.

With the week that is in it (O'Neill's speech) I hope they come down like a ton of bricks on these players if they did what they did.

Armaghgael

Were did you see this?
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

bennydorano

Headline on bbcni online news. 2 different players at it apparently.

theticklemister

GAA investigates Crossmaglen player's racial abuse claim
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Crossmaglen 3-9 1-9 Kilcoo
The GAA is to investigate claims of racism both on the pitch and on the terraces at the Ulster Club football final between Crossmaglen and Kilcoo.

Crossmaglen player Aaron Cunningham, whose father is black, claimed he was racially abused throughout the match by two members of the Kilcoo panel.

The GAA has refused to make any public comment pending an investigation.

However, it is understood the alleged incidents will form part of the match referee's report.

Crossmaglen won the match by 3-9 to 1-9 to secure their third consecutive Ulster title.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: theticklemister on December 02, 2012, 06:28:52 PM
GAA investigates Crossmaglen player's racial abuse claim
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Crossmaglen 3-9 1-9 Kilcoo
The GAA is to investigate claims of racism both on the pitch and on the terraces at the Ulster Club football final between Crossmaglen and Kilcoo.

Crossmaglen player Aaron Cunningham, whose father is black, claimed he was racially abused throughout the match by two members of the Kilcoo panel.

The GAA has refused to make any public comment pending an investigation.

However, it is understood the alleged incidents will form part of the match referee's report.

Crossmaglen won the match by 3-9 to 1-9 to secure their third consecutive Ulster title.

Anyone at the game hear anything??

Nothing I hate more than racism in sport. 2 year ban for players caught at the very minimum!!