Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2012

Started by drici, March 31, 2012, 10:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: yellowcard on December 01, 2012, 11:33:07 PM
Reading Joe Brolly this week and he maintains that Cross completed a 70 minute fartlek run around Gosford Forest Park the morning of their Armagh SFC semi final against Carrickcruppen. If its true then its downright disrespectful to their opponents and the Armagh championship. It is an indication of the disdain that they treat their opponents with in Armagh that they felt that they could have a slogging session that morning and still get to a county final later that day.

No doubt they will claim that it was all part of the bigger picture but what were they going to achieve having a training session and match on the same day? I'm not a sports science expert but even I would know that the risk of injury would be severely heightened by this arrangement.

I've never seen a club (maybe even a county) team that plays football with the intelligence, accuracy and clinical nature of the current Cross side.

If fortlecks before a county final are part of the prep that has delivered this, then maybe it's you who should be rethinking your tale on football prep.

INDIANA

Reading Joe Brolly this week and he maintains that Cross completed a 70 minute fartlek run around Gosford Forest Park the morning of their Armagh SFC semi final against Carrickcruppen. If its true then its downright disrespectful to their opponents and the Armagh championship. It is an indication of the disdain that they treat their opponents with in Armagh that they felt that they could have a slogging session that morning and still get to a county final later that day.

No doubt they will claim that it was all part of the bigger picture but what were they going to achieve having a training session and match on the same day? I'm not a sports science expert but even I would know that the risk of injury would be severely heightened by this arrangement.

They wouldnt be the first team to do that. I do admire their ability to put those stories into the media though because it creates the mystique that somehow you're playing more then a football team. True or not it's designed to put the shits up their opponents and invariably it works.

onefaircounty

He also said Crossmaglen players don't do weights, so pinch of salt and all that.

anportmorforjfc

Good luck to Cross today, hoping for a Black and Amber double  :D

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: onefaircounty on December 02, 2012, 11:19:25 AM

He also said Crossmaglen players don't do weights, so pinch of salt and all that.

Point of fact, Cross had no weights room or any weights 'program' until after last years AI final.

fitzroyalty

i heard that titch mckenna puts concrete in his weetabix every morning, and that danny o'callaghan lives in a coal bunker behind the hall and is only ever released for training and matches.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 02, 2012, 12:08:51 PM
i heard that titch mckenna puts concrete in his weetabix every morning, and that danny o'callaghan lives in a coal bunker behind the hall and is only ever released for training and matches.

The first one is pure dung.

neilthemac

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2012, 11:42:12 AM

Point of fact, Cross had no weights room or any weights 'program' until after last years AI final.

all you need is a small hall, some med balls, dumbbells and a chin up bar.
That is your gym right there.

yellowcard

I admit it was a possible over-reaction to the 70 minute fartlek story that I heard in the pub yesterday. I'd say it was probably a tall story from Brolly, couldn't see Oisin doing a 70 minute fartlek and playing a full match on the same day. Maybe a session for the subs or something like that.

our_fella

Jesus I have never heard so much tripe in my entire life about this cross team & their current training regime..

1) They did not go for a run the morning of their match v Carrickcruppen, as I met 2 of their starting team in Buttercrane the morning of that match, so unless they have identical twins?

2) They did have training plans for gym sessions, as a current Cross player had a large folder of exercises and sets with him in Jordanstown gym at the start of last year, as i played in the very same team as him...

Some people talk pure yite on this thing

bennydorano

Quote from: INDIANA on December 02, 2012, 11:00:56 AM

They wouldnt be the first team to do that. I do admire their ability to put those stories into the media though because it creates the mystique that somehow you're playing more then a football team. True or not it's designed to put the shits up their opponents and invariably it works.

Getting worried, agree with Indiana twice in one week. Kaiser Sose style guff & it is working, last year's Ulster club was a cake walk for Cross, most teams are beat by the sight of the jersey.

get up there

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 30, 2012, 09:25:51 AM
Cross have beaten better teams this year and beaten them well. Kilcoo will need a slice of luck and a Joe McQullian type ref to win, you never know. Chelsea or Celtic vs Barca springs to mind.
by saying a joe mcqullian type of ref to win, do you mean a ref that will be one sided , soft frees, penalties, red carding a cross man etc while turning a blind eye to the underdogs, ie ( them boys are all ireland champions sure they will be all right )....The refs job is to be fair to both teams regardless of their histories . The last thing we want to see is our game ending up like the boxing or some of the racing sports. 

All of a Sludden

Delayed start in the Cross v Kilcoo game. 3.15.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

DrinkingHarp

Any links for Video or Audio that is not TG4?
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

onefaircounty

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2012, 11:42:12 AM

Point of fact, they were doing the weights in the Carrickdale on their own, and a lot of them were on weights programme with the county. They may not have weights training collectively, but they do weights.