Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2012

Started by drici, March 31, 2012, 10:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Do you think they would be a better price than the Tyrone champions? They are currently 14/1 with pedigree in Ulster, as far as I'm aware Slaughtneil haven't won Ulster or got to a final.

But you're right, it has went off topic a bit, should open a thread for ones to comment on the betting
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Don Johnson

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2012, 12:14:49 PM
Do you think they would be a better price than the Tyrone champions? They are currently 14/1 with pedigree in Ulster, as far as I'm aware Slaughtneil haven't won Ulster or got to a final.

But you're right, it has went off topic a bit, should open a thread for ones to comment on the betting

I could see them being 16/1 no problem. Taking Ballinderry's scalp will mean a lot. At 10/1 that is taking out 9% of the betting overround. Also have to remember after this weekend one one of Kilcoo or Mayobridge will be out of the betting as well, removing 7.7% if Kilcoo win or 3.8% if Mayobridge win.

Gonna root for Slaughtneil now to see what price they go for Ulster!

HiMucker

SNeil were very unlucky the last time in Ulster should have beat Cross at Glen and then lost the replay down in cross.  Cross went on to win Ulster.  Not sure how many of their team would still be their from 2004?  Think they were young enough if memeory serves me right.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Don Johnson on October 16, 2012, 12:23:00 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2012, 12:14:49 PM

I could see them being 16/1 no problem. Taking Ballinderry's scalp will mean a lot. Also have to remember after this weekend one one of Kilcoo or Mayobridge will be out of the betting as well.

Gonna root for Slaughtneil now to see what price they go for Ulster!

Slaughtneil have had the better looking results against tougher opposition but  in championship finals, Ballinderry have had more experience. Bookies not too confident but 4/6 is strong enough.

Quote from: HiMucker on October 16, 2012, 12:29:10 PM
SNeil were very unlucky the last time in Ulster should have beat Cross at Glen and then lost the replay down in cross.  Cross went on to win Ulster.  Not sure how many of their team would still be their from 2004?  Think they were young enough if memeory serves me right.

Yeah was a close game, 10 all or something like that but Cross still came out on top, other teams have held Cross and lost out and been close up to the end but beating them seems to be a thing only Errigal Ciaran can do in Ulster comp.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

Having now seen Cross up close, it'll take some team to stop them.  They look super fit, especially their forwards, when they move it fast they are some outfit.  They worked a 2 aginst 1 a few times against Pearse Og leading to goals.  Pearse Og didn't know what had hit them.  Very sharp and smart.  And I doubt for the rest of the year any team will be more physical with them, Pearse Og were in their faces to say the least and put in some great hits (and a few late ones), but still couldn't finish them off. 

fitzroyalty

Hard to tell with Cross. Against an average enough Cruppen team they conceded a few goals yet on Sunday against a much much more talented Ogs side were able keep a clean sheet.

In my own opinion the teams that would trouble Cross the most would be whoever wins Derry (more so Ballinderry probably) and Kilcoo if they win Down. People saying Errigal because they've pedigree, how many survivors would there be from the last time they beat Cross?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 16, 2012, 01:48:34 PM
Hard to tell with Cross. Against an average enough Cruppen team they conceded a few goals yet on Sunday against a much much more talented Ogs side were able keep a clean sheet.

In my own opinion the teams that would trouble Cross the most would be whoever wins Derry (more so Ballinderry probably) and Kilcoo if they win Down. People saying Errigal because they've pedigree, how many survivors would there be from the last time they beat Cross?

Complacency? because they were playing a team they knew they could beat possibly. As for Errigal they would have at least 5 or so players from last time.

sheamy

Lads, Slaughtneil or Ballinderry won't be within an asses roar of Cross. Kilcoo couldn't beat Loup the last time I saw them. Errigal might cause them problems but only mild ones I think. Cross have well and truly put St Gall's away this past few years and I can't see any change this time. I think they lost an awful lot when Fermanagh man Rory Gallagher left. He led the line like no-one since. No sir, she's going back to Cross. No point even talking about it any more.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sheamy on October 16, 2012, 02:45:43 PM
Lads, Slaughtneil or Ballinderry won't be within an asses roar of Cross. Kilcoo couldn't beat Loup the last time I saw them. Errigal might cause them problems but only mild ones I think. Cross have well and truly put St Gall's away this past few years and I can't see any change this time. I think they lost an awful lot when Fermanagh man Rory Gallagher left. He led the line like no-one since. No sir, she's going back to Cross. No point even talking about it any more.

+1

but not on Rory though, thought we'd better home players than him to be honest.

We won't be within 5/6 points of Cross at our best, can only hope to reach final again and hope Cross get beat before it :P

fitzroyalty

I dunno now. Ballinderry were close enough last year what has changed since? I mentioned Kilcoo because they have a nasty streak that other clubs in Down don't seem to have IMO. Would come in handy I'd imagine. Cross were second best for significant spells on Sunday, they got off to a flier with Ogs caught cold and then were dominated for the rest of the half. I don't think they'd get away with the same in Ulster.

sheamy

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 16, 2012, 03:31:40 PM
I dunno now. Ballinderry were close enough last year what has changed since? I mentioned Kilcoo because they have a nasty streak that other clubs in Down don't seem to have IMO. Would come in handy I'd imagine. Cross were second best for significant spells on Sunday, they got off to a flier with Ogs caught cold and then were dominated for the rest of the half. I don't think they'd get away with the same in Ulster.

See...I've heard people say that but it doesn't really add up. Cross tore them apart for 30 mins. Second half Ballinderry put up a brave enough show largely thanks to big Enda, but when the heat came on, Cross simply stepped it up and blitzed them again last 5 mins. That was the acid test and they strolled it. What has changed? Ballinderry have got a lot worse. They also have the small matter of getting over a very fit Slaughtneil team and then Ronan McGuckin's Errigal Ciaran who will be well rested and fully briefed on them.

sheamy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2012, 03:03:47 PM

+1

We won't be within 5/6 points of Cross at our best, can only hope to reach final again and hope Cross get beat before it :P

That's interesting. I honestly thought Rory was a major factor in the AI win. I remember watching Gall's destroy the Loup at Newry and he was chief architect in my opinion. I came away thinking they were the finished article (exact same feeling watching Donegal play Derry in Ballybofey this year) and it proved right. The side was good before that but I thought his intelligent play made them great. CJ and co thrived off him and he provided much needed structure up front. He understands the modern game exceptionally well as the events of this year show. People talk about McGuinness but for me alot of what Donegal do tactically is down to Gallagher. He deserves more recognition than he gets imo.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sheamy on October 16, 2012, 03:52:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2012, 03:03:47 PM

+1

That's interesting. I honestly thought Rory was a major factor in the AI win. I remember watching Gall's destroy the Loup at Newry and he was chief architect in my opinion. I came away thinking they were the finished article and it proved right. The side was good before that but I thought his intelligent play made them great. CJ and co thrived off him and he provided much needed structure up front. He understands the modern game exceptionally well as the events of this year show. People talk about McGuinness but for me alot of what Donegal do tactically is down to Gallagher. He deserves more recognition than he gets imo.

I'm not going to slate past players, just said in my view there was better forwards in Naomh Gall. Plenty players can have the tactics and get players to employ them, which he and McGuinness have done really well with Donegal. But I don't think he was the reason why we won the All Ireland in fairness

fitzroyalty

Quote from: sheamy on October 16, 2012, 03:43:21 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 16, 2012, 03:31:40 PM

See...I've heard people say that but it doesn't really add up. Cross tore them apart for 30 mins. Second half Ballinderry put up a brave enough show largely thanks to big Enda, but when the heat came on, Cross simply stepped it up and blitzed them again last 5 mins. That was the acid test and they strolled it. What has changed? Ballinderry have got a lot worse. They also have the small matter of getting over a very fit Slaughtneil team and then Ronan McGuckin's Errigal Ciaran who will be well rested and fully briefed on them.
Fair enough comment, but Cross haven't exactly been setting the world on fire in Armagh up until Sunday and even then they were made to look second best for a lot of the game. My initial point about who was best equipped to trouble Cross was meant hypothetically, and also for the record I don't think Errigal would be one of them because when it comes to motivating themselves Cross don't need a wile lot to get them going.

Sleater

The only way Cross will be beaten in ulster is if they are complacent against a team they don't percieve as a major threat. The likes of Burren, Mayobridge, Galls, Ballinderry & Bellaghy if they were in Ulster ,would all cause Cross to be alert and ready.

The likes of Errigal, Ballybay, and whoever comes out of Donegal may catch Cross napping. That's the only chance of Cross being beaten.