All Ireland contenders...

Started by EC Unique, March 25, 2012, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Zulu on April 06, 2012, 03:37:18 PM
I wouldn't agree on Goulding CorkMan, I thought he might become a top forward and he is undoubtedly talented but Kelly is a far more rounded footballer and is far more important (frees aside) than Goulding. The one thing I would say in Gouldings favour is that the service to the full forwards is far too slow and infrequent but I think O'Connor makes more of what he gets than Goulding.

Hallelujah!

Two years ago if I could have robbed 3 forwards in the country O'Connor would have been the only Cork candidate.

Now Cork have young talent that might move him down to 2nd or 3rd in the pecking order but he is still a serious player with any ball within shooting range.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Quote from: CorkMan on April 06, 2012, 04:01:47 PM
Quick ball to the full forwards and they are serious contenders for the all ireland. Putting Walsh full forward would be like Kerry with Donaghy. Only, Walsh isn't as good as Donaghy.

I don't think he's as well suited to FF as Donaghy is but out the field I think he's a better option and will develop into one of the better midfielders about in a couple of years.

CorkMan

I think he's one of the best fielders of the ball at the moment and if he learned how to pass and shoot he'd be one of the best midfielders in the game.

eviemonkey

I think O'Connor is comfortably Cork's best forward at present - the one 'go to' guy you would want the chances to fall to in a tight game. I wouldn't see Walsh starting at full-forward as been a realistic option in the summer, for a number of reasons, one of which is that O'Connor and Colm O'Neill play better at 14 than in the corners. With the form he is in at present I think you need to play O'Connor in whatever position he can be most effective in.

Goulding is a finisher, give him chances and he will punish you but Goulding isn't going to change a game on his own. Kelly is the player that pulls the strings but doesn't pick up too many of the headlines. If you stop Kelly, you limit a lot of Cork's creative supply to the inside line. Kerry and Mayo have done a good job of curbing his influence in the big games last summer.

Sheehan I believe has the potential to be the best Cork forward since the great Cork team of 89/90. The sky is the limit for that guy if he gets a clean run with injuries. Hopefully he will, although dual commitments could be another potential factor at some point in the future.

CorkMan

Quote from: eviemonkey on April 06, 2012, 09:31:06 PM
I think O'Connor is comfortably Cork's best forward at present - the one 'go to' guy you would want the chances to fall to in a tight game. I wouldn't see Walsh starting at full-forward as been a realistic option in the summer, for a number of reasons, one of which is that O'Connor and Colm O'Neill play better at 14 than in the corners. With the form he is in at present I think you need to play O'Connor in whatever position he can be most effective in.

Goulding is a finisher, give him chances and he will punish you but Goulding isn't going to change a game on his own. Kelly is the player that pulls the strings but doesn't pick up too many of the headlines. If you stop Kelly, you limit a lot of Cork's creative supply to the inside line. Kerry and Mayo have done a good job of curbing his influence in the big games last summer.

Sheehan I believe has the potential to be the best Cork forward since the great Cork team of 89/90. The sky is the limit for that guy if he gets a clean run with injuries. Hopefully he will, although dual commitments could be another potential factor at some point in the future.

That's not the main reason though. I wouldn't play Walsh full forward because we have two of the best midfielders in the country, O'Connor and Walsh, but after those two we are very short of options in midfield. We need Walsh at midfield more than full forward.

INDIANA

Quick ball to the full forwards and they are serious contenders for the all ireland. Putting Walsh full forward would be like Kerry with Donaghy. Only, Walsh isn't as good as Donaghy.

Quick balls to the forwards went out as a tactic circa 2002. Any county that simply lumps early ball into the forwards will be well beaten IMO.

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on April 07, 2012, 01:10:04 PM

Quick balls to the forwards went out as a tactic circa 2002. Any county that simply lumps early ball into the forwards will be well beaten IMO.

Says who? Cork's forwards, with their size, benefit greatly from quick ball.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on April 07, 2012, 01:22:23 PM

They dont actually really because they arent good ball winners. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of people who preach just lump the ball into the full forward line. It works on a sporadic basis.

CorkMan

Quote from: Syferus on April 07, 2012, 01:22:23 PM

The problem at the moment is that by the time the half back line and midfield have decided what pass to make, the forwards are marked and the opposition backs have organized themselves. The slow handpassing the backs have been doing the last two years seems very laboured. 2009 we had our half backs coming onto the ball at pace, breaking tackles and scoring or getting quick ball to the forwards. We were the best team in the country that year. If we go back to that we'd walk the All-Ireland.

Quote from: INDIANA on April 07, 2012, 01:58:04 PM
They dont actually really because they arent good ball winners. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of people who preach just lump the ball into the full forward line. It works on a sporadic basis.

Doesn't have to be long high ball. Just work the ball up the pitch quicker than we're doing or god quality ball into space.

armaghniac

QuoteI'm constantly amazed at the amount of people who preach just lump the ball into the full forward line.

Some people don't preach "lumping" the ball into the full forward line, they preach directing the ball into the full forward line. The latter approach greatly increases the chances of your man getting it. Instead the "modern" way is to faff about until everyone on both teams is in the same half and space is at a premium.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Quick balls to the forwards went out as a tactic circa 2002.

Just as well nobody told Crossmaglen Rangers they're ten years behind the times or they mightn't have bothered showing up for the All-Ireland championship.

DuffleKing

Worth noting that cross don't kick the ball in if there are cover players. They depend on teams defending naively - like garycastle - to play their prreferred game. You'llr probably find that any county team not facing cover players will kick the ball early in similar fashion. In the modern county game you are kicking it to 6 defenders with only 3 or 4 forwards.

CorkMan

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 07, 2012, 05:35:57 PM

Worth noting that cross don't kick the ball in if there are cover players. They depend on teams defending naively - like garycastle - to play their prreferred game. You'llr probably find that any county team not facing cover players will kick the ball early in similar fashion. In the modern county game you are kicking it to 6 defenders with only 3 or 4 forwards.

Yea, but if you have someone with pace in the corner like Kerrigan or Darran O'Sullivan you should kick it into space and let them use their pace to get there before the backs.

INDIANA

Possibly the first thing we've ever agreed on.

Its amazing how some armagh posters(who claim to know a lot) dont even know how cross play. Staggering.

INDIANA

Quote from: CorkMan on April 07, 2012, 08:39:08 PM

Yea, but if you have someone with pace in the corner like Kerrigan or Darran O'Sullivan you should kick it into space and let them use their pace to get there before the backs.

The point being its a measured ball into them. Its not just a kick the ball into them and lets not worry about a cover defence, Its a tactic that cost kerry two all-irelands against tyrone in my view. If you watch kerry play now its markedly different and thats why.