All Ireland contenders...

Started by EC Unique, March 25, 2012, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkMan

Quote from: heffo on April 05, 2012, 02:17:33 PM
Quote from: CorkMan on April 05, 2012, 01:17:44 PM
Colm O'Neil is a great forward and was under 21 3 or 4 years ago.

I'd say he was promising. Has he started two championship games back to back or even a single game?

He was our starting full-forward in 2009. Won the game against Dublin off the bench almost on his own in 2010 and was injured last year. He is a class act and it is a real indicator of the strength of Corks forward line that Colm O'Neill doesn't get in.

heffo

Quote from: CorkMan on April 05, 2012, 09:17:11 PM

I'd say he was promising. Has he started two championship games back to back or even a single game?

He was our starting full-forward in 2009. Won the game against Dublin off the bench almost on his own in 2010 and was injured last year. He is a class act and it is a real indicator of the strength of Corks forward line that Colm O'Neill doesn't get in.

Forgot he started a couple of games in 2009.

I thought Ross McConnell won that game for ye in 2010 though, not O'Neill

Syferus

Cork's forwards rarely have made much of an impression on me in their period of being near the top of the chain.

Goulding and Pearse O'Neil would be the best, but O'Neil has went missing far too much. Cork win by fielding good ball in the middle - mostly by Nicolas Murphy, even in 2010 - and flooding the channel with backs. It's the ability of Cork's backs to score or at least be a threat that's been their strength, not their forwards.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on April 06, 2012, 05:41:47 AM
Cork's forwards rarely have made much of an impression on me in their period of being near the top of the chain.

Goulding and Pearse O'Neil would be the best
, but O'Neil has went missing far too much. Cork win by fielding good ball in the middle - mostly by Nicolas Murphy, even in 2010 - and flooding the channel with backs. It's the ability of Cork's backs to score or at least be a threat that's been their strength, not their forwards.

Is this a wind up?

O'Neill is 32 and hasn't done a lot in recent years. Pa Kelly seems to be preferred nowadays at 11 which tells you who Cork think is the better footballer. Then you ignore Donncha O'Connor. ::)

MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on April 06, 2012, 11:32:42 AM

, but O'Neil has went missing far too much. Cork win by fielding good ball in the middle - mostly by Nicolas Murphy, even in 2010 - and flooding the channel with backs. It's the ability of Cork's backs to score or at least be a threat that's been their strength, not their forwards.

Is this a wind up?

O'Neill is 32 and hasn't done a lot in recent years. Pa Kelly seems to be preferred nowadays at 11 which tells you who Cork think is the better footballer. Then you ignore Donncha O'Connor. ::)

I don't rate Donncha O'Connor as being head and shoulders above what's around him. He's 31 himself so it's not worth bringing up O'Neil's age is as a comparison.

Cork's team is build on size and physicality and very few of the players stand out in that context. They're mostly of a good level and they're the best team in that sense. It still doesn't mean they're as good as they were in 2009 or 2010.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on April 06, 2012, 12:15:51 PM

Is this a wind up?

I don't rate Donncha O'Connor as being head and shoulders above what's around him. Cork's team is build on size and physicality and very few of the players stand out in that context. They're mostly of a good level and they're the best team in that sense. It still doesn't mean they're as good as they were in 2009 or 2010.

You don't even rate him as good as O'Neill or Goulding.

I would guess most teams in the last few years would start their best defender on O'Connor. He too is now the wrong side of 30 so we may have seen the best of him but I have seen him win a League Final on his own and for me he was the key man in the 2010 final.
MWWSI 2017

CorkMan

Quote from: heffo on April 05, 2012, 10:17:17 PM
Quote from: CorkMan on April 05, 2012, 09:17:11 PM

Forgot he started a couple of games in 2009.

I thought Ross McConnell won that game for ye in 2010 though, not O'Neill

He did his job too, but it was O'Neill who won the penalty and he got another point after that.

Quote from: Syferus on April 06, 2012, 12:15:51 PM

Is this a wind up?

I don't rate Donncha O'Connor as being head and shoulders above what's around him. He's 31 himself so it's not worth bringing up O'Neil's age is as a comparison.

Cork's team is build on size and physicality and very few of the players stand out in that context. They're mostly of a good level and they're the best team in that sense. It still doesn't mean they're as good as they were in 2009 or 2010.

Pearse O'Neill's best years are behind him. He seems to be able to turn it on against teams like Roscommon and then when he's really needed against Dublin or Kerry, he goes missing. Daniel Goulding, though, is one of the best forwards in the country. Donncha O'Connor may be 31 but he can still do it. He's proved that with some of his displays in the league so far.

Cork were at there best in 2009, when they're forwards would come onto the ball at pace and break through tackles. 2010 and 2011 they have been too slow with they're build up play. If they could go back to what they were doing in 2009, imo they'd be the best team in the country.

Zulu

Ciaran Sheehan is Corks best forward, Kelly would be next and Colm O'Neill is a phenomenal talent. Goulding is nowhere near Cork's best forward and Peirce O'Neill shouldn't even be mentioned in the discussion. Cork still have plenty of talent but it seems quite clear that the suspicions of many about the management is well founded. IMO they have wasted a very talented bunch of players and should be got rid of at the end of the year irrespective of how they go this year. Cork may win another All Ireland with them but they won't fulfill their potential under them.

CorkMan

Quote from: Zulu on April 06, 2012, 03:25:23 PM
Ciaran Sheehan is Corks best forward, Kelly would be next and Colm O'Neill is a phenomenal talent. Goulding is nowhere near Cork's best forward and Peirce O'Neill shouldn't even be mentioned in the discussion. Cork still have plenty of talent but it seems quite clear that the suspicions of many about the management is well founded. IMO they have wasted a very talented bunch of players and should be got rid of at the end of the year irrespective of how they go this year. Cork may win another All Ireland with them but they won't fulfill their potential under them.

Ciaran Sheehan proably is our best forward. Goulding would be second, O'Neill or O'Connor next and then Pa Kelly. Pearse O'Neill should be a sub.

If Cork sped up the build up play, other teams wouldn't stand a chance against them.

Zulu

I wouldn't agree on Goulding CorkMan, I thought he might become a top forward and he is undoubtedly talented but Kelly is a far more rounded footballer and is far more important (frees aside) than Goulding. The one thing I would say in Gouldings favour is that the service to the full forwards is far too slow and infrequent but I think O'Connor makes more of what he gets than Goulding.

imtommygunn

No way is Kelly Cork's 5th best forward - he makes you tick. Class act.

Him and Sheehan very different.

The year Cork beasted Tyrone was their best year. Last year they were looking good and blew it.  If they play to their best I think they can hammer everything in front of them (assuming the Kerry hoodoo doesn't wreck them mentally). However that's a big if.

I'd like to see them and Dublin play. I don't think Cork's style would suit Dublin and would be interested to see the outcome.

I think Cork can beat Dublin however I don't think Cork can beat Kerry but I think Dublin could. All depends on draws...

It will be interesting to see how Cork use Aidan Walsh come championship - they seem to like the idea of him at FF but I don't think that will be suitable come championship. Counihan seems to be thinking there's a lack of physical presence in the FF line.

Zulu

I think Walsh could be effective in full forward but they don't put the ball into the right areas and at the right height, do that and there isn't a fullback in the country who won't have serious problems on him.

CorkMan

Quote from: Zulu on April 06, 2012, 03:37:18 PM
I wouldn't agree on Goulding CorkMan, I thought he might become a top forward and he is undoubtedly talented but Kelly is a far more rounded footballer and is far more important (frees aside) than Goulding. The one thing I would say in Gouldings favour is that the service to the full forwards is far too slow and infrequent but I think O'Connor makes more of what he gets than Goulding.

At least someone agrees with me there.

Quote from: Zulu on April 06, 2012, 03:46:50 PM
I think Walsh could be effective in full forward but they don't put the ball into the right areas and at the right height, do that and there isn't a fullback in the country who won't have serious problems on him.

I think he's a good option to have there but we need him in midfield. Pearse O'Neill wouldn't last a full game at midfield imo.

Zulu

No I agree, I'd play him midfield too, Cork have full forward options already and it's unlikely they can be programed to put the right type of ball into a big full forward at this stage anyway.

CorkMan

Quick ball to the full forwards and they are serious contenders for the all ireland. Putting Walsh full forward would be like Kerry with Donaghy. Only, Walsh isn't as good as Donaghy.