All Ireland contenders...

Started by EC Unique, March 25, 2012, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

You're right enough there, Leo.  While Donegal have the extra match with Cavan, Armagh open up with Tyrone, a huge obstacle, even at the Athletic Grounds.  Still, assuming a Donegal win over Cavan, they get Derry, not exactly a gimme.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, J90. I was just wondering if I had a 100 to wager, would Donegal at 16/1 be a better choice than Armagh at 40/1?  All county loyalty aside, I'd be inclined to go with Armagh, but then again I'm not a gambling aficionado.

Wonder if the match at Ballybofey will have any effect at all on the counties' respective odds.

J70

Quote from: Oraisteach on April 02, 2012, 05:49:14 PM
You're right enough there, Leo.  While Donegal have the extra match with Cavan, Armagh open up with Tyrone, a huge obstacle, even at the Athletic Grounds.  Still, assuming a Donegal win over Cavan, they get Derry, not exactly a gimme.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, J90. I was just wondering if I had a 100 to wager, would Donegal at 16/1 be a better choice than Armagh at 40/1?  All county loyalty aside, I'd be inclined to go with Armagh, but then again I'm not a gambling aficionado.

Wonder if the match at Ballybofey will have any effect at all on the counties' respective odds.

Not ruffling my feathers at all. Just find it puzzling and amusing that so many on here seem to take it as a personal affront when others don't rate their county or a given player as highly as they think they should be rated.

I'd take Armagh at 40/1 over Donegal at 16/1 too given that the chances of either winning the All Ireland are close to zero. If Donegal can repeat last year's intensity and compensate for the loss of Cassidy and Hegarty (certainly far from a given), I'd pick them to go further in the competition though.

The league game should have little impact given that Donegal will be without their primary scorer and playmaker and Armagh are yet to reintroduce the Crossmaglen players. Given the short attention span and lack of ability to see the big picture of the collective sporting public though, it is likely that the odds will change somewhat in either direction. Look at the reaction to the Mayo-Dublin game here the other day FFS!

CorkMan

Think it will be a Cork - Kerry final and as much as it pains me to say it, Kerry will win because we can't beat them at Croke Park.

Dublin and Tyrone also there I think.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: CorkMan on April 03, 2012, 10:30:08 PM
Think it will be a Cork - Kerry final and as much as it pains me to say it, Kerry will win because we can't beat them at Croke Park.

The double-header final.  An interesting new development in our games.

CorkMan

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on April 04, 2012, 02:00:32 AM

;D Ah, you know what I mean. Cork, Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone the main contenders for me.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: CorkMan on April 04, 2012, 03:26:01 PM

;D Ah, you know what I mean. Cork, Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone the main contenders for me.

You know Mayo more than likely and maybe Kildare, Donegal or Meath (I think despite their slide, they can be a dangerous obstacle)  will take 1 if not 2 of those 4 you mentioned out before the semis.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Hardy

We won't be taking anybody out. We are in the slough of despond. We are bereft of morale. We have no leader. We are as bad as we were in the late seventies. We have squandered the fruits of our successes and have nothing to show for a quarter of a century of achievement - a golden age that should have been the inspiration for a new generation to keep us at the heights we had gained. But we had nobody in the administration of the county's affairs with the imagination, vision or even interest even to prevent us sliding into the abyss, never mind staying at or near the top. And this is where we'll be staying until some group of Meath football men decide to get together and do something real about it.

CorkMan

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 04, 2012, 03:49:33 PM

You know Mayo more than likely and maybe Kildare, Donegal or Meath (I think despite their slide, they can be a dangerous obstacle)  will take 1 if not 2 of those 4 you mentioned out before the semis.

Kildare, Donegal.... maybe. Don't see Mayo as a threat. Although I said that last year and look how that turned out  :'(

Tubberman

Quote from: CorkMan on April 04, 2012, 04:43:25 PM

Kildare, Donegal.... maybe. Don't see Mayo as a threat. Although I said that last year and look how that turned out  :'(

"Once bitten, twice shy" doesn't apply to Corkonian's I see ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

CorkMan

Quote from: Tubberman on April 04, 2012, 04:47:57 PM
Quote from: CorkMan on April 04, 2012, 04:43:25 PM

"Once bitten, twice shy" doesn't apply to Corkonian's I see ;)

Nope just as arrogant as before  :D

Syferus

I have a feeling at least one of Cork and Kerry will be in for a shock this year. Alot of key personnel on both teams are getting on and there's plenty of reasons to think they could be more vulnerable than established logic dictates, both panels are past their peaks.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on April 04, 2012, 06:33:42 PM
I have a feeling at least one of Cork and Kerry will be in for a shock this year. Alot of key personnel on both teams are getting on and there's plenty of reasons to think they could be more vulnerable than established logic dictates, both panels are past their peaks.
Most of Kerry's defenders are over 30 them guys will need to be replaced. Cork are made up from those two U-21s winning teams in 2007,2009 along way from past their peak yet.

muppet

I will bet you a hundred quid one of them won't win it out!
MWWSI 2017

CorkMan

I think Cork wil have learned from last year. They won't take teams like Mayo (no offense Mayo people) for granted. If anyone beats them it will be Kerry or Dublin.

For the past year or two people have been saying Kerry are a team on the way down. But every year they seem to prove those people wrong. I wouldn't be shocked if they got beat in the quarter final but I wouldn't be shocked if they won it either. Nothing Kerry do shocks me anymore.

Quote from: muppet on April 04, 2012, 07:49:40 PM

I will bet you a hundred quid one of them won't win it out!

:D :D

Jinxy

Yeah, like a dead cow, decomposing in a field.
Just walk around it and keep going.
If you were any use you'd be playing.